House of Horror 50 - World Without End

:house_of_horror: Greetings Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

Halloween might have passed but we are continuing our exploration of comic horrors! Before we get into the books we are reading this week, @LaserPuff and I would like to welcome our newest members @jayspice777.13160 and @scoop001. I hope you enjoy your stay in House of Horror!

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Horror Ever!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2
House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend
House of Horror 47 - Hellblazer: Rise and Fall
House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne
House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

This week we are dipping our toes in the first 4 issues of a comic series called World Without End. This is a 6 issue mini-series and the last 2 books have not been added to DCUI…yet. This series was written by Hellblazer writer Jamie Delano. I also want to add that rating is 12+ on DCUI but the cover says “Suggested for mature readers”. I would say this isn’t for the kiddos. On top of that, we are continuing our journey into the twisted world of Soul Plumber with the second issue.

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:
World Without End 1 (1990) (rated 12+)

World Without End 2 (1990) (rated 12+)

World Without End 3 (1990) (rated 12+)

World Without End 4 (1990) (rated 12+)

DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber 2 (2021) (rated 17+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you think of this week’s books!

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

:house_of_horror: 11/9/2021 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: Collected Editions :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New to DCUI 11/9/2021 :house_of_horror:

2 Likes

All amazing reads. Batman & Scooby-Doo I haven’t done yet…just Apocalypse.

2 Likes

Have you actually read World Without End before?

2 Likes

No I haven’t actually. I just poked #2 & checked none read? When did that drop w/o a notice? Oh well doesn’t matter I’m reading today. Just woke up.

2 Likes

I am not sure. Maybe in the big DCUI conversion?

2 Likes

I’m reading today. I just told my sister she can stop by if she wants but I’m watching & reading DC today for my birthday lol. I thought both of my sisters and bro in law, parents were coming. I just found out it was just gonna be my one sister b/c it’s my actual bday today & she was coming for that reason. I said, I’d honestly just rather do my own thing & she’s a teacher so I said just get thru the work week, we can celebrate it anytime this week next week idc.

3 Likes

I have to say I don’t really like World Without End. The writing in the first issue especially needed some editing as it was unnecessarily complex. I also didn’t care for the art. Soul Plumber is better as far as the story goes, but I liked the art even less. Oh well, not everything is for everyone.

2 Likes

I still have to read this. I am in the middle of a huge Doctor Who binge and trying to read something is kind of hard when The Doctor is chasing a Dalek or in a heated battle with The Master on my tv screen.

Oddly, one of the reasons we picked this books was because of the art we saw when we flipped through a few of the pages. Of course, that doesn’t mean everyone will like what we like. Hopefully, you will dig next week’s selection a little more!

2 Likes

It’s ok. I don’t expect to like everything.

2 Likes

@capo-manger Happy Belated birthday! :cake: :balloon:
giphy

5 Likes

Haha ty @LaserPuff thats perfect b/c I literally have 0 concept of time. I say that all the time. I never know what month it is, I’ll tell a story & say I was 7 & my mom will say- you were 15 when that happened- I’m like, we’ll I guess it’s all the same to me? lol ty tho!!!

3 Likes

I’m kind of like that too. Not till a couple years ago I never knew when holidays were.

2 Likes

Idk my months in orders & I literally can’t learn them. It’s an actual thing, my friend from grade school has it too. No awareness of time, or how it works. Just show up when I’m told leave when I’m told. Idk what this time thing they speak of is?

Hey happy belated birthday, yesterday was mine too!

3 Likes

Agreed, I think it’s a little too ~grotesque~ for me. I just got through the first issue. I really like some of the art, especially the landscape type panels right at the beginning. But agreed the writing is hard to follow sometimes, I think they’re leaning too hard into whatever this world is. Maybe it’s just not my type of thing. It feels a little outdated too, mainly because the plot being explained at the end of the first issue as the “final battle in the sex war”. Gonna keep reading and see how I feel by the end.

4 Likes

Happy belated birthday!!!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @thisiscourt and @capo-manger! :partying_face: :birthday: :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

World Without End is maybe the most controversial book we have covered in HoH. I did mention that we chose this book based on some of the art that we saw. I do enjoy most of the art, which is a good thing because I lost track/interest of the story around the time a new language was introduced. I had to laugh that they included a key for the new language at the BACK of the comic. Really?!?!?! Of course, by then my interest just wasn’t there.

Do these characters have names? Sure, there is Wingman Url and Brother Bones. Once again, thankfully the art is enjoyable…for the most part. Even if I am using the artwork as the consolation prize, some of it just blah. There was a comic put out by Valiant Comics in the mid-90s written by Garth Ennis called Shadowman. Anyway, the story was okay but the art was overly edgy in that only could have happened in the 90s type of way. In many ways, the art in this book has that vibe but is at least somewhat decipherable. Still, as the books went on, the art went down in quality. Some pages were better than the others but that doesn’t mean it was great by the end of book 4.

So yeah, this was a solid 1.25 out of 5 star comic. It is rare for a comic to get that kind of rating from me. It should also be noted that there was a collection released somewhat recently and it wasn’t released by DC but by Dover Publications. They are a small publisher who has 12 titles listed on leagueofcomicgeeks.com.

Thankfully, we had Soul Plumber 2 this week. This comic keeps getting weirder and weirder and I am enjoying it. This has a direct-to-video 80s horror flick vibes and I am here for it. Edgar Wiggins is a character that I want to see more of and I was happy to see Elk show up again. Then there is Blorp and I don’t want to say too much more about it before I begin to spoil things.

3 Likes

That’s pretty wild! Glad you liked the Gif. :grinning:

3 Likes

Same here, it’s not fun to have to read one speech bubble for like 5 minutes trying to make sure you deciphered it correctly for the plot to make sense. Did they really need to do this? We were clearly already in a different world than our own haha. It’s almost infuriating having to get through Brother Bones’ pages.

4 Likes