House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2

Greetings Horror Hounds!

I hope everyone is doing great. There has been a lot of hopeful news regarding the multiple vaccines and the weather is slowly changing for warmer temperatures. Needless to say, I have been in a great mood the past few days. On top of that, the new Snyder Cut is inching its way to release on HBOMax. What better way to get in the mood for a new version of Justice League? Justice League horror-themed comics!!!

Before we begin with the fun, first I would like to introduce our newest member @soul.glitch! I hope you have a great time in the House of Horror but beware of the ghouls hiding in the cupboards.

:st_swamp_thing2: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :st_swamp_thing:

Every House of Horror Ever!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1

If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here !
If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here !

We are going to read :justice_league_book_club:JLA 94-99:justice_league_book_club:! This was written by John Byrne and Chris Claremont. Yes, that Chris Claremont, the man who might as well spell his name with an X.

The 10th Circle starts with the JLA investigating child disappearances but then they begin to disappear themselves!!! Will the JLA be featured on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries or the back of a milk carton before this story is done? You will have to read to find out!

:books: Books to read :books:
JLA 94 (1996) (rated 12+)

JLA 95 (1996) (rated 12+)

JLA 96 (1996) (rated 12+)

JLA 97 (1996) (rated 12+)

JLA 98 (1996) (rated 12+)

JLA 99 (1996) (rated 12+)

:st_swamp_thing: Discuss :st_swamp_thing2:
Don’t forget to tell us what you liked or disliked about the books we read this week!

If you want to read even more Justice League you should check out the Justice League Book Club where they are reading Metal right now!

There are a few new horror comics hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 3/16
It doesn’t appear that any horror comics are being released by DC this week!

6 Likes

thank you for the warm welcome.

2 Likes

Ah, The Tenth Circle! A solid read.

Did those Claremont and Byrne guys ever do any noteworthy team books before JLA? Seems like they’re familiar names…:thinking:

Yes, I’m joking. They’re X-Perts at team books. :wink:

3 Likes

@soul.glitch glad to have you in the House of Horror!!!

@Vroom Claremont did get to play in the DC sandbox with the Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans crossover!
Seriously, one of my favorite crossovers that will sadly never see the light of day on DCUI.

5 Likes

X-Men? Hmm, that sounds neat.

goes to Google “X-Men”

3 Likes

I hear good things about the X-Men but I think that has faded away in the sands of time. At least we are getting the new Teen Titans Academy soon!

2 Likes

jajajaja seriously though who are these xmen you mention… hahaha

3 Likes

There’s oodles of good, great and grand X-books out there.

Morrison’s New X-Men and Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men in particular. They’re just… awesome.

Teen Titans Academy looks like it will be fun. I enjoyed Sheridan’s writing on Future State: Shazam, so I’m eager to check out his next DC endeavor.

3 Likes

I can’t disagree. I would love a Morrison Teen Titans book but I think he is beyond that kind of thing now. In all seriousness, X-Men is the only book that I even read from Marvel and I am so far behind on that it is just daunting.

2 Likes

I think “X-Men” are related to “Next Men”.

At least, that’s what Infoseek (best pre-Google search engine, IMO) says.

2 Likes

You know another good X-book to check out? Cable and X-Force.

It was a favorite of mine from Marvel Now (the original iteration from 2012). I remember it being a solid read in all respects.

Claremont and Lee’s run though…that is the X-Men at their best. Really, really good. Granted, I’m biased because of my Jim Lee fandom, but still, it’s a great run (which began on Uncanny X-Men and ended on X-Men (1991)).

3 Likes

That Claremont/Lee run was when I first started to get into X-Men. Cable and the X-Men was great. I was also a fan of that X-Men series with vampires.

2 Likes

Vampires…the run from…2010 or so, right? Curse of the Mutants or some such?

In any event, that was good. I never saw (nor see) Namor as a mutant though. A for effort on Marvel’s part to make him more relevant, but…no.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, they retconned him to be the first mutant. It works in some cases, at least when they want him in the X books but everywhere else it just never worked.

2 Likes

What’s Namor up to these days?

2 Likes

No idea. The last time I read anything from Marvel was 1/21/21, thanks to a list I have been keeping of every comic I read.

3 Likes

Don’t get me started.

I literally grew up on Claremont. You don’t want to see the singles.

3 Likes

Morrison’s is definitely top-tier, though given all the “recent” news coming out with Joss Whedon, seeing any of his work that I’ve enjoyed in the past feels rather bitter.

Also, the House of X/Power of X by Johnathan Hickman and the Dawn of X line that came out of it has all been pretty damn good.

Last I heard, they were kind of putting him more on a villain path these days. He was apparently a big antagonist in Chip Zdarsky’s Invaders miniseries and in Jason Aaron’s Avengers.

Anyway, definitely going to try to make it to this one!

3 Likes

Nice books! I had many of those a long time ago.

2 Likes

So, Namor’s back to his ways of being a weiner that moves in on other guy’s gals?

He just needs to ditch the metal shorts. Then he’d be much more personable.

…said nobody, because Namor almost always has a chip on his shoulder about something.

3 Likes