House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2 (Earth Day Extravaganza!)

:house_of_horror: Greetings Horror Hounds!!! :house_of_horror:

Before we jump into the :earth_africa:Earth Day:earth_americas: festivities, and there are festivities because we love and treasure The Green, there are few housecleaning notes. First, and foremost, @Laserpuff and I would like everyone to welcome our newest members @Skajadeh, @bssimon.65231, and @Dexstarr_2756! I apologize if there is moss on every piece of furniture in the House of Horror but who am I to tell Swamp Thing he can’t sit on the couch?

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is!:st_swamp_thing2:

EVERY HOUSE OF HORROR EVER

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1

If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here !
If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here !

If you are new to the House of Horror or you missed the direct message that had a few EXCLUSIVE digital goodies, you can click HERE! Please note that you have to be a member of the House of Horror to gain access to this link!

Now for the reason, we are all here! Horror comic books!!! Last week started reading Alan Moore’s excellent The Saga of the Swamp Thing books and a Scooby-Doo Team-Up with Swamp Thing story. However, we ended on a bit of a cliffhanger for both stories. This week we are going to wrap up both stories!!! If you are new to Swamp Thing last week and this week’s selections are a perfect place to start. One thing I want to point out is that Alan Moore’s writing is amazing but the cover for issue 34 is easily one of the most iconic Swamp Thing covers, ever!

:00_swamp_thing: Books to Read :00_swamp_thing:
The Saga of the Swamp Thing 30 (1982) (rated 17+)

The Saga of the Swamp Thing 31 (1982) (rated 17+)

The Saga of the Swamp Thing 32 (1982) (rated 17+)

The Saga of the Swamp Thing 33 (1982) (rated 17+)

The Saga of the Swamp Thing 34 (1982) (rated 17+)

Scooby-Doo Team-Up 80 (2013) (rated 0+)

For the full Saga of the Swamp Thing: Love and Death storyline click HERE.

Oh yeah, and do you remember DC Daily? Of course, you do! After you are done reading and sharing your thoughts below you can check out DC Daily’s Comic Book Club from when they read Swamp Thing!

Instead of a random or not-so-random poll, we decided to do something a little different to celebrate :earth_africa:Earth Day :earth_americas: and :00_swamp_thing:The Green :00_swamp_thing:. Do you have any plants or gardens that you are proud of or haven’t killed? (I never got the green thumb gene from my grandma) Or do you have a cool re-usable grocery bag or water bottle or anything else that helps The Green please post your pictures below!

If you want to dive deeper into the swamp and let’s be honest who wouldn’t? You should definitely check out DC History Club’s Swamp Thing where @msgtv and @TurokSonOfStone1950 lead the DC historians through all of the swampy muck to uncover comic book history gold.

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 4/27
There are no new floppies hitting the newsstands but there are a few new hardcovers, that I will certainly be adding to my collection.

One more thing that you probably want to check out

A bonus wallpaper for all of you Horror Hounds!

7 Likes

Sorry for the glare in this picture. I present to you my Wonder Woman BlenderBottle that I got when I realized how much Gatorade I was drinking and the amount of bottles that I had when I went to the recycling bin. Now I get powdered Gatorade and haven’t had to recycle any bottles in a few months!

4 Likes

I liked this post, but only so that I can say to you, as I said to my younger brother recently… “Ya, know, ‘Gatorade’ is only supposed to be drunk while exercising.” It’s loaded with sodium and sugar. He was drinking it like water, Literally. I hope you’re not doing that. Please don’t think that I’m shaming you, I just want to be informative. Do as you see fit for your life.

2 Likes

Actually, I work in a hot kitchen and am next to a pizza oven that is 400+ degrees. If it weren’t for that I wouldn’t drink it every day.

2 Likes

Again, I’m not here to tell you what to do, but my little bro, didn’t know it was meant to replace electrolytes. And, as I said, it’s not my place to tell others how to live, but just want to give a heads up in case ya didn’t know, Cheers! :v: :smile:

2 Likes

I think when I get a new job Gatorade will be switched out with lemonade or something like that.

2 Likes

Ps, I’m loving your discussion on “Swamp Thing,” cause this is a favorite run of mine. I’ve been collecting the “Absolute Editions” thus far, and plan to have them all. I wish I had all the actual issues.

2 Likes

Being completely honest, I fell behind last week as I am reading 21-27 and House of Secrets 92 in a hardcover. I recently got a PS5 and that has distracted me. Well, that and looking for a new job which is just stressful but I had an interview today and have a second interview next Thursday!!! Hopefully, I can leave the pizza place sooner than later! So I am hoping to read everything in the hard cover tomorrow.

The first 2 issues are amazing and honestly, I didn’t know comics could be that good. Like, I knew that but it is nice to be reminded.

2 Likes

I hope that I didn’t come off as a jerk, but I thought it was interesting you posted this right at the same time I had this discussion with my brother. Lol! And, I can imagine working in a pizza place could be physically taxing. My last job was moving old people into retirement homes. I lost it because of covid. I’m not all that sad about it, but it’s been tricky finding a new gig, so I can relate. I’m not a big gamer, my friends are, but I do kinda want a PS5, it looks cool.

I like that you’re reading these from the hardcover you got online. I have select issues in my collection from back in the day, so I already knew it was a “legendary” run, like I said, I plan to at least have a complete “Absolute” set when they’re all released. I read a chunk of them on DCU. They were one of the series, that I was looking forward to when I became a member. Alan Moore is an amazing writer.

2 Likes

Oh no, you weren’t being a jerk. I like Gatorade but it was more of a treat or when I was exercising. However, when my face is level with 400+ degrees I tend to sweat a lot.

I definitely suggest checking out Zavvi.com for the mystery box. I also got a Catwoman book, one hardcover that has all 3 Superman Earth One books, and so much more.
DC Comics Mystery Graphic Novel 10 Pack Books | Zavvi US

2 Likes

I think you said this in your other post starting the “Swamp Thing” readings, that your hardcover was an Import edition, looking at your link, it’s obviously from the UK, so no problems ordering from them?

2 Likes

I have ordered 3 mystery boxes from them. One of them I ordered about 2 weeks before the other 2. One box was for my brother. I got all 3 boxes the same day and that was about 3-4 days after I placed the second order. These are the videos that I found out about these boxes from.

2 Likes

I’m gonna have to look into ordering from them, cause the image you posted of your “Swamp Thing” hardcover was already cool, what these videos show… These hardcovers are Awesome! And for the price, my god, like he says, you’d think you’re getting paperbacks! Thanks!

2 Likes

Yeah, I saw those Eaglemoss hardcovers and jumped on them! I actually got both boxes with a few different books. I didn’t get Swamp Thing part 2 which kind of sucked. I also got 3 doubles which I sold to my LCS for $30 which covered the cost of one of the boxes!

2 Likes

Here is my plant Scrappy. I almost killed him but eventually I figured out how often to water him and his cousin.

6 Likes

The light coming in on Scrappy is fantabulous. I love the pot too.

4 Likes

Thanks! I thought the shot came out pretty good.

3 Likes

Wowsers! I have just read the entire Love and Death storyline, including Swamp Thing Annual 2 which was not included on the storyline link. The whole shebang is an amazing story that had me turning pages faster than Barry Allen. There was one chapter that seemed out of place, even if it helped frame the bigger picture. We also got a nice retcon to include the House of Secrets origin story. Then there was the matter of how Abby and Swamp Thing would consummate their relationship and it was mind-altering amazingness.

I also read Scooby-Doo Team-Up 79 and 80. These books were a lot of fun and a very quick read.

The inclusion of Solomon Grundy was unexpected but I think I will be doing a Swamp Thing vs Solomon Grundy match on Injustice 2 now. I would love to see how that fight plays out.

4 Likes

Anton Arcane was already a uniquely twisted villain in DC’s roster prior to Moore’s writing. But his return makes him far creepier and sadistic. This version of him makes him feel like he is pulled straight out of a supernatural horror movie. And that final Swamp Thing issue highlighted in this post is one of the most iconic of the character’s history, establishing the romantic connection between Swamp Thing and Abigail Arcane. The two would have their struggles later on, and most of it is understandable. But that issue of her eating the fruit showcases a non-traditional romance that is quite sweet.

1 Like