House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!

:house_of_horror: Greetings and salutations Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

Memorial Day 2021 will be the first cookout that many of us have gone to since umm 2019! Thankfully, we have a huge comic library at our fingertips. Speaking of fingertips, have fun trying to make sense out of They Might Be Giants’ Fingertips which were originally multiple unlisted tracks on Apollo 18.

Gotta get back on track DS. Okay, that was weird. Anyway, we have some cool books that we are gonna be reading this week! First, to celebrate Memorial Day in the only way that House of Horror can, Futures End: Star-Spangled War Stories! If you haven’t read the series, that is fine. This is a one-and-done affair that is filled with soldiers and zombies and comic goodness! Then we are gonna rock out to iZombie! If you have seen the amazing show but never read the comic, now is your chance! If you can think of a better way to celebrate Memorial Day that doesn’t involve a grill umm, you are wrong. Just kidding! House of Horror does not reflect or support all of the crazy things DS types. He will be forced to watch George Romero movie remakes while he can only see the boxes of the original and far superior movies sitting on the shelf

On a more serious note, please take some time to reflect on those brave men and women who have fought for our country.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is!:st_swamp_thing2:

Every House of Horror EVER!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics

Do you like wallpapers and bookmarks and pie? Well, we got 2 out of 3 EXCLUSIVELY for House of Horror members! If this link does not work for you, you will need to join House of Horror!!!

:house_of_horror: Books to read! :house_of_horror:

Star-Spangled War Stories: Futures End 1 (2014) (rated 12+)

iZombie 1 (2010) (rated 17+)

iZombie 2 (2010) (rated 17+)

iZombie 3 (2010) (rated 17+)

iZombie 4 (2010) (rated 17+)

iZombie 5 (2010) (rated 17+)

Do you want to become a dinner for a zombie? If the answer is “no” you should let us know what you thought of these books!

Did you watch the iZombie tv show?
How did the book differ from the show?
Which do you like better the tv show or the comic?
What was your favorite part in Star-Spangled War Stories: Futures End?

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 6/1

This is a HUGE week for horror comics as we see the new DC Horror imprint make its debut!!! Have you seen the previews for Nice House On The Lake and The Conjuring: The Lover yet? I am absolutely in love with the creepy vibes from both of these titles. You can check it out yourself!

I have a feeling Fresh Frights might be put on hold this week as we are seeing many new comics hitting the DC Universe Infinite library. However, you can join in the discussion in our club room! Remember when I used the word “many” just a few sentences ago? I wasn’t lying!!!
Sweet Tooth 1-40 on June 1st!!!

Seriously, this is a great time to be a horror comic fan and DCUI is reminding us how lucky we are. Oh, what a time to be amongst the living!

Random Poll of the Living Dead!

What is your favorite zombie movie in the selection below?
  • Return of the Living Dead
  • Night of the Creeps
  • Army of the Dead
  • Train to Busan
0 voters
6 Likes

Let me just say that I absolutely adore iZombie. I remember reading the first few issues forever ago when I was at a friend’s house. Then for whatever reason, I never kept reading it. When this series dropped on the launch of DC Universe Infinite I wanted to dive right into it but I also knew that we would be reading this in House of Horror. The time finally came and last night I flew through the first 2 issues continuing the rest of our reading list this morning.

The art is magnificent. There are a few different styles happening while staying true to the main art style. Of course, the art can be great but if the writing is bland it makes for a rough read. Happily, that is not the case with iZombie. This first story arc does a great job introducing all of the characters while weaving a tale that was interesting and funny and sincere.

I have watched most of the TV show and I will say that there are a lot of differences, which is perfectly fine as we get two different versions of Gwen.

6 Likes

I finished Star-Spangled War Stories: Futures End and thought it was a decent zombie story. There are themes that I have seen in many zombie flick and even a tv show or two. I haven’t read any of the other books in this series but if they are all as quick of a read as this one was, I might just do that sooner than later.

4 Likes

I haven’t read any of this series yet but I love the Allred art style. I fell in love with his art during the “Bug! Adventures of Forager” series. I admit I originally didn’t but slowly I came around to it. I’ve been eyeing this series ever since.

I watched part of the first season. It kind of fell to the way side when I was watching way too many shows for my free time to keep up. I was trying to watch all the arrowverse shows at once. I totally burned myself out on that whole endeavor. I hope to rectify quitting iZombie at some point.

4 Likes

I have never read any of the Ambush Bug books so I might start with that one after I finish iZombie.

3 Likes

Not Ambush Bug. Forager is one of the New Gods or just a resident of New Genesis. The book is one of the Young Animal imprint books. It was a weird book, not a break the fourth wall weird but interesting weird.

4 Likes

This is such an easy read, feels like a totally self-contained story. Could have been in House of Mystery or something. I have read the rest of GI Zombie, it is like an extended version of this story.

4 Likes

That is sort of what I am hoping for. There are way too many comics and such little time.

2 Likes

You can say that again! Finished the first issue. Very different but in a very good way. I like the larger cast of characters.

3 Likes

Read the first arc of iZombie a while back before it got on DCUI (thanks CU!). Pretty fun stuff, can never go wrong with Michael Allred art.

I’ve only watched the pilot, and it’s definitely different in that like most TV shows they tweaked it to be a cop show where they use her zombie powers to solve mysteries. An understandable change, but still markedly different.

5 Likes

Tv execs do love cop shows?

5 Likes

Yup – though in fairness, this isn’t the most egregious twisting a story to be a cop show I’ve ever seen. That honor goes to Lucifer.

4 Likes

I haven’t watched or read Lucifer yet but I was surprised to hear that it was a cop show. I just blindly accepted it as how it must be in the comics.

3 Likes

I do really enjoy Lucifer but haven’t read any of the comics. I think I will give those a read after I finish the new drop on Netflix.

4 Likes

I’ve meant to watch Train to Busan (I’ve been on that train, no zombies though).
Also, love the I Zombie show. It’s this perfect level of funny, mystery, characters, ongoing subplots. Not a lot of heavy lifting but really well done. First rate cast. And don’t just mistake Rose McIver for the cutie she is. That girl knocks it out of the park weekly. Her ability to take on the personality of the brains she eats to the more emotional stuff, she needs lots more work in the U.S.

4 Likes

I’ve been reticent to read the book, because I loved the show so much. Gonna have to get over that.

2 Likes

On Lucifer, I love both the series and the book. They are different but share some of the same DNA. Like chimpanzees and humans.

3 Likes

Spoiler: This does happen in the book.

I voted for Return of the Living Dead because it is one of my favorite movies ever. I should also mention that I am a huge Linnea Quigley fan. However, I cannot deny that Train to Busan is probably the best zombie movie made this century. It has great zombie action, humor, and it will pull on your heart strings.

2 Likes

I’m surprised you didn’t put Day of the Dead on the list of Zombie movies since it was such a military centric movie.

Train to Busan was great, I usually prefer slow zombies but the story was such a nail biter.

Return of the Living Dead was such a great campy movie.

2 Likes

Romero’s Night of the Living Dead is my #1. I gotta say, for newer zombie movies…Zombieland & Warm Bodies were both great!!!

1 Like