House of Horror 36: More Spectre!

:house_of_horror: Greetings, Horror Hounds!!! :house_of_horror:

After last week’s dive into the second story arc of iZombie, we are finding ourselves in another story featuring The Spectre. Before we get too deep into our next book, first we have to do some quick housecleaning.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every HoH EVER!!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz, No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

Now that is out of the way, this week we will be reading Day of Vengeance! This is one of the tie-in titles that leads into Infinite Crisis. In 2006, we saw the sequel to Crisis On Infinite Earths and in my opinion, it didn’t let me down. With Day of Vengeance, we can begin to see the breadcrumbs take shape as Infinite Crisis revs up. Not only that, but we get to see ShadowPact in action!!! I have a feeling we will be seeing more of them very shortly.

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:

Day of Vengeance 1 (2005) (rated 12+)

Day of Vengeance 2 (2005) (rated 12+)

Day of Vengeance 3 (2005) (rated 12+)

Day of Vengeance 4 (2005) (rated 12+)

Day of Vengeance 5 (2005) (rated 12+)

Day of Vengeance 6 (2005) (rated 12+)

Bonus book added!!!
Day of Vengeance Infinite Crisis Special 1 (2006) (rated 12+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you thought of Day of Vengeance!

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 8/10

New to DCUI 8/10 (subject to change)

4 Likes

Day of Vengeance full reading order is so phenomenal. One of my favorite storylines that Zee is in. It’s not a Z storyline but it’s just one of my favorite reading orders that she happens to be in. So many amazing characters for a magical realm enthusiast.

3 Likes

Hey @D4RK5TARZ thanks for picking all these comics I have never read before! I love reading new stuff! I enjoyed the Shadowpact team. I collected the original Blue Devil comics way back in the day, so it is nice to see him in action again. The ending of the original 6 issues left me hanging, so I went ahead and read the Infinite Crisis special to get some closure. The Spectre definitely needs a human host to keep him on the right path.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. I do have to say that it is a team effort with @LaserPuff and one of our goals is to find stuff that probably isn’t popping up on people’s radar.

If you want to dive deeper into the build-up to Infinite Crisis you can also check out these titles:
The Omac Project
Rann-Thangar War
Villains United

To think, Infinite Crisis was only 15 years ago and I am still getting excited about it.

Then if you wanted to continue your post Infinite Crisis reading, I strongly suggest 52. @Jay_Kay has been rocking out a reading of those books HERE.

I had a feeling we have finally found a title that you have read. It was bound to happen at some point, right? The upside is that you really enjoyed this title!!!

3 Likes

Oh yeah it’s up in my top shelf for life. Read it every year.

2 Likes

I agree. After reading the six books and reading the 7th, I feel like we should have included the Special.

1 Like

I can add that to the list. As both you and @scoop001 have mentioned this.

2 Likes

Book has been added, also it is worth noting the TPB for Day of Vengeance only has the books that I have originally listed, which just seems mean. (These are the books listed on Good Reads, maybe the last book wasn’t listed?)

1 Like

Issue 6 really left you hanging, it is confusing since it says “The End” on the last page but the special proves that the story wasn’t over. If I had stopped on issue 6 I would have been very disappointed. The special tells you where the overall magic universe is headed after all the destruction that the Spectre does. He wipes out all the lords of order and chaos, creating a power vacuum in the magic world. I am curious if any of this is addressed in Infinite Crisis.

2 Likes

I ended up reading Identity Crisis since I didn’t know anything about Jean Loring at the beginning of issue 1. I’m glad that I did, though after seeing what her insanity made her do in Identity Crisis I feel like there was a missed opportunity for her to mess with Atom while she was possessed by Eclipso. Of course that shows what kind of control Eclipso had over her, that she wouldn’t have any say in what they were doing.

2 Likes

After reading Day of Vengeance, I really like Shadowpact. They are sort of like the prototype Justice League Dark. I am happy @scoop001 and @LaserPuff both mentioned the Infinite Crisis Special as that was definitely needed to finish the story.

Spectre definitely needs a host to reign in his power. Nabu mentioned that they had planned for a woman to take over as the host of The Spectre. Does anyone know who the host was supposed to be?

1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot to share the weirdness that I noticed. I am not sure if anyone has this on their DCUI.
Here is what the cover is supposed to look like for issue 6.
Here is the cover that is on DCUI for issue 6.

1 Like