House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend

:house_of_horror: Greetings Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

We are officially in October and House of Horror has begun our Year One anniversary! Over the past year, we have read many books, completing a few series along the way, and had many great conversations. @LaserPuff and I have already begun planning ahead and we have many books coming that many of us might have never heard of before!

Below are wallpapers of EVERY comic we have read over the past year!!! Due to the nature of the wallpapers, I wasn’t able to make mobile versions.

Before we get into the books we are reading this week, @LaserPuff and I would like to welcome the newest residents to the House of Horror @Sunbear, @chintzybeatnik, @Vroom. As we welcome you to the House of Horror I do suggest staying out of the backyard. It appears to be pleasant enough but most of it has been overtaken by swamps and you never know what or who is lurking around.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Horror EVER

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

This week we will be reading the brand spanking new comic DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber 1! This comic was written by Marcus Parks, Henry Zebrowski, and Ben Kissel, the hosts of The Last Podcast On The Left. In Soul Plumber we are introduced to Edgar and the weird world he inhabits.

After Soul Plumber we are reading the DCUI’s newest horror anthology DC The Doomed and The Damned. This anthology features writers such as Garth Ennis and Marv Wolfman. You don’t want to miss this one!

Speaking of a line-up of all-star writers, look no further than The Legend of the Swamp Thing: Halloween Spectacular. With stories from Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Ram V, James Tynion IV, and many more, this book is a must-read for a horror comic fan.

:house_of_horror: BOOKS TO READ :house_of_horror:
DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber 1 (2021) (rated 17+)

DC The Doomed and The Damned 1 (2020) (rated 12+)

The Legend of the Swamp Thing: Halloween Spectacular 1 (2020) (rated 12+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you think of this week’s books!!!

On top of these great books, House of Horror has been posting Halloween Profiles. We have 5 posted with more to come!
Cain
Zatanna
Madame Xanadu
Circe
Swamp Thing
Deadman
Justice League Dark

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

:house_of_horror: 10/12/2021 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New to DCUI 10/12/2021 :house_of_horror:

For more Halloween fun, you can check the first reply for links around the DC Community.

7 Likes

List of Horrific Club Happenings Around DC Community!

Characters of DC: Deadman
Smallville Fan Club: Super Spooktacular Smallville Festival
Justice League Book Club: Celebrating 10 Years of New 52: Justice League Dark
World of Bats: Batman & The Monster Men
Harley’s Crew & Birds of Prey: Harley’s Coven
DC Fan Art Club: Shadowpact
DC Fan Art Club: Pumpkin Carving!
Justice League Book Club: Halloween Comes Early With Spooky Tales

Halloween Profiles:
Cain
Zatanna
Madame Xanadu
Circe
Swamp Thing
Deadman
Justice League Dark

Watch-Alongs
Harley’s Crew: The Witches of Eastwick Watch-Along
2021-10-12T01:00:00Z

Justice League Book Club: Constantine (the movie)
2021-10-09T01:00:00Z

Smallville Fan Club: Smallville S5 E5: Thirst
2021-10-10T23:00:00Z

Justice League Book Club: Justice League Dark: Apokolips War
2021-10-16T01:00:00Z

Smallville Fan Club: Smallville S5 E14: Tomb
2021-10-17T23:00:00Z

Smallville Fan Club: Smallville S9 E3: Rabid
2021-10-24T23:00:00Z

Smallville Fan Club: Smallville S4 E8: Spell
2021-10-31T23:00:00Z

I will try to add more as they pop up!

6 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!

I thought I’d been a member since Day One, but when reevaluating the clubs I was in, HoH was nowhere to be seen, an error which was quickly fixed.

I might go play in the backyard, FYI. If it says “Leave this place!”, then I’ll go back to work.

Or just zone out to game shows on Buzzr, as I’m wont to do while working.

3 Likes

I read Soul Plumber the night it dropped on DCUI. Ohhh, buddy, this is definitely a weird story. I sort of like Edgar, but only because he wants to do good in the world. The way he goes about it is umm extreme. There is also a strong commentary about tele-evangelists which fit into the story but still sort of stuck out. Elk is also a strange character, the chain-smoking, noseless vet. I don’t want to say too much more in fear that I will spoil anything.

3 Likes

I’m still making my way through the WW 80th one-shot, but afterward, it’ll be Soul Plumber Time™.

3 Likes

Heh, that’s what I was just reading too! :laughing:

But yeah, these all sound really interesting. Looking forward to reading these. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

DC The Doomed and the Damned was a fun read. Most of the stories were good to great. The story with Darkseid was just weird, I can’t believe he would be pressured into a drinking contest and lose. I mean, it is Darkseid! Cassandra Cain’s story felt out of place, it wasn’t bad, but it didn’t feel very Halloween-like. It sort of felt like a story for a possible Orphan comic that never made it past that story or maybe the Batman digital series that was released last year.

Wonder Woman and Raven I think had the best story and definitely fit the mood of the season. A demon, exorcism, and Wonder Woman is doing what Wonder Woman does. Yeah, that was my favorite story. Runner-up would be the Solomon Grundy story. That was just fun.

I did enjoy Legend of the Swamp Thing, it felt like a lead-up to the current Swamp Thing series while also feeling like it was its own thing.

We get to see Swamp Thing through the ages ranging from the time of Caesar to the ending of World War 2. The best thing about this comic is that it explores the idea of Swamp Thing always being there.

4 Likes

I knew you were gonna read Soul-Plumber so I held off on it! I can’t wait to start it!

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see what you think about it!

3 Likes

I’m a few pages in and so far its pretty good! Scuzz cracks me up

3 Likes

Soul Plumber has gone to second print!

2 Likes

DC Horror has been an interesting experiment. Both titles are not the normal DC output and the cross promotion with movies and podcasts are a success. What is even weirder is that DC doesn’t have many second prints these days. I think Batman/Fortnite was the last time they did second prints?

2 Likes

I think generally comic book movie or tv crossover’s are generally not promoted like this has been. There was a comic-con panel which was great along with several articles on dccomics.com. I also think that the preceding Hill House books great critical reception has helped pave the way for these books success.

1 Like

Finally got around to Soul Plumber and my first thought is what the f@#! did I just read? This was a weird one, not going to lie. But the strangest thing about this choice is I wouldn’t call it Horror. Sure, it has creatures referred to as demons and cosmic creatures trying to destroy our world, but it is structured and told much more like a fantasy/pseudo-science fiction tale. I suppose you can say some of the imagery leans into Horror at the beginning. But I would describe it more as a grimey thriller, one that is meant to be written in bad taste and includes scenes meant to shock the reader.

That doesn’t mean it is bad per say. These kinds of stories can be told well. In regards to Soul Plumber, I’d say it’s OK. It has decent pacing for the most part, our main characters are generally likable, and there are moments of dark humor that work. But the ending is clearly rushed. Maybe they wanted to do an ongoing or a sequel, or maybe that was always the intended ending. I just think it brushes by too quickly.

Overall, not one of my favorites and I don’t plan on visiting it again. However, it isn’t a bad story. Just not one that vibes with me.

3 Likes

It’s definitely different…? I liked it for the variation? Wasn’t like everything else? I agree that I probably wouldn’t reread it tho. But, for once over. I say worth it…

1 Like