House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2

Calling all Horror Hounds!

We need as much garlic, Holy Water, wooden stakes, and crucifixes that we can each carry. If you know any Lost Boys, bring them too! There has been a vampire invasion in the House of Horror and things are getting pretty icky.

Sheesh! Where is Andrew Bennett when you need him?

Before we start slaying vampires I want to give a HUGE House of Horror welcome to @mccaggers91. Sorry about that heavy garlic smell but safety is a top priority for all the House of Horror habitants.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is!:st_swamp_thing2:

Every House of Horror EVER!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?

If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here !
If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here !

:open_book: Books to Read :open_book:
This week we are going to read 3 chilling books that feature vampires. The first book is Batgirl 14. This one-off story features a team-up with Supergirl! Will they survive the vampire menace?
Batgirl 14 (2009) (rated 12+)

Our next story finds Wonder Woman fending off a vampire threat in Convergence: Wonder Woman1 and 2! This story is written by Larry Hama who has worked on other series such as G.I. Joe including the legendary “silent” issue and various Batman books.

Convergence: Wonder Woman 1 (2015) (rated 12+)

Convergence: Wonder Woman 2 (2015) (rated 12+)

:taco: Don’t forget to share your thoughts below! :taco:
:bat: Bonus conversation topic! What is your favorite vampire movie? :bat:

If you want to read even more comics that feature vampires you can check out House of Horror 6 - Vampires!

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 4/13

Random poll!

Who was the better Dracula?
  • Bela Lugosi
  • Christopher Lee

0 voters

4 Likes

1)Thank you for picking Wonder Woman Convergence! :star_struck: It’s the best of the convergence stories, imo, so I’m very happy to see them. Plenty to say- I’ll be back!
2)Gasp! How dare you ask me to choose between Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee!
3)Point me to the taco bar… :taco:

3 Likes

When I was looking for books to read I picked them purely based on the first cover. Then I saw the issue 2 cover and I knew I had made the right choice. That first cover reminds me of a 70s b-horror flick, probably made in Italy with horrible English dubbing. That cult horror vibe is definitely something that I am gelling with. That second cover ain’t no slouch either! So much is happening in that picture that I can’t wait to dive into these books to discuss more!

Well, you know we roll in the House of Horror. From time to time there are horrific choices to be made, all for the sake of the almighty random poll! I have a secret, I really can’t decide either. If this were in regards to The Mummy, well Christopher Lee wins by a mile! His eyes did more acting in that movie than the entire cast of Degrassi: The Next Generation on any given episode. Needless to say, I am ride or die OG Degrassi. SPIKE FO’ EVA! Hmm, I might have to pick Christopher Lee because he was in a few metal songs.

but…there is this song from Bauhaus that is friggin catchy about Bela Lugosi.

For some reason, The Doors’ Alabama Song popped in my head. I can imagine Jim Morrison crooning “Well show me the way to the next taco bar, oh, don’t ask why, oh, don’t ask why”

I can’t wait to read your thoughts on Convergence: Wonder Woman!!!

3 Likes

I’ve never seen this Christopher Lee movie! So I got to go with Bela Lugosi. He was so good in Dracula.

They make bars that all they sell is tacos?! I’ve been going to sports bars like a chump. Sports taste all sweaty and grassy. Don’t know why I go there.

2 Likes

Agree. It’s that Josh Middleton magic! Plus I just :purple_heart: me some Wonder Woman, as you know (Ivy’s in it too :0_poison_ivy_tas:), and I also have a bit of a thing for vampires, so these really do have my name written all over them! I hope you enjoy it!

lol This was fun to read.

Okay, I’ll vote! But I won’t like it! … (lemme just grab a weapon real quick in case there’s any lurking up there)

And since we’re listening to Bauhaus and talkin vampires, I’d like to add this one, plz…

@LaserPuff Taco bars are the best bars, but unfortunately for ALL of us, they’re usually just set up at parties or super small restaurants. I went to a wedding once and it had a gigantic taco buffet. Straight up genius! :taco::tropical_drink:

2 Likes

Favorite Vampire film is The Lost Boys (1987). I have a Horror Patch Jacket with a big back patch of Kiefer.

2 Likes

Then I am guessing you dug the Gunship video in the first post!

1 Like

Batgirl 14 was exactly the kind of book I was in the mood for. Right before I started Batgirl I was reading Elvira comics on Comixology so I was down for more cheesy monster stories.

This is a basic plot of the Friday night blues. Stephanie Brown is stuck at home playing Scrabble with her mother. All of her friends are off doing stuff and there are no criminals to bust. Then a doorbell rings and it is Kara Zor-El!!! I really liked Kara in this story as she was often the comedic element needed to keep this train rolling.

Our heroes go to the movies and see a Dracula flick in 3-D. Of course, things couldn’t be as simple as that. There was a mishap and Dracula popped out of the screen!!! I think there were 24 of them. The entire time, Kara is suggesting to have a pillow fight, which I found to be hilarious considering this story takes on horror movies.

This story also makes me wish there was an ongoing Batgirl/Supergirl series. The team-up was great and this story is excellent in the rare one-and-done format.

2 Likes

Convergence: Wonder Woman was a great read and a departure from my recent backlog reading binge of Sensational Wonder Woman on Comixology.

This story had hit on many 70s b-horror flick tropes and I am here for all of them! First, we are introduced to a cult that means well, on the surface. Look, if there is a cult in a horror story, it never ends well for them. They even had robes!!! Seriously, I love those euro-horror flick vibes. It was great seeing the Red Rain versions of Joker, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman. It was even greater seeing a revamped (pun intended) version of the late 60s and early 70s mod Wonder Woman! She was in her white outfit in all of its glory. Sadly, that glory did not last too long as she literally ripped it off later in the story.

This has a great supporting cast and it was riveting to see how each character made it didn’t make it to the end of the story. This did not disappoint! I can’t wait to read @Razzzcat’s and everyone else’s thoughts on these books!

1 Like

That was a really tough choice. Christopher Lee has a tremendous body of work playing Dracula, but Bela Lugosi set the template as the original. Without Bela we don’t have the “look” of Dracula. I had to go with OG Dracula. Imagine if the Nosforatu look took hold. :joy:

4 Likes

Read Batgirl and Supergirl and Dracula, Terror in the Third Dimension. I’ve never heard of Stephanie Brown, as Batgirl. That’s a new one to me. This issue was an absolute delight. The witty banter the monster fighting montage. It was so much fun.

2 Likes

Stephanie Brown is a great Batgirl. Babs is my fave but Stephanie Brown is excellent as is Cassandra Cain. Anywho, yeah that was a fun issue. It really felt like a cheesy horror flick which fits my mood most of the time. I really liked that montage! I was reading a Constantine: The Hellblazer issue last night and it had a great montage in that. There is something to be said about a good montage.

2 Likes

Convergence: Wonder Woman was a decent story, though I’m not sure how it or at least the events we see in this fits the character. Like, this is the Pre-Crisis Earth 1 Wonder Woman, so the Diana of the 70s, early 80s, i.e. the Lynda Carter era of the character. And the idea that her Steve and Etta would die via a Vampire Joker just feels…wrong? It would be like finding out the '66 Batman ended with Robin turning into a zombie and Batman having to mercy kill him. It could be told well, but…why?

Batgirl was SO MUCH better. It was quick, it was fun, it had goofy moments, still had some nice character moments. I’m not as hot on Steph’s Batgirl series as others (I like it, I just think it’s a bit overrated), but what I think worked about the series was the characters and their interactions.

It’s funny, but I remember when this issue came out it sparked a minor ship of Stephanie and Kara, and honestly, I wouldn’t be inherently against that. :laughing:

2 Likes

I would just be happy with a World’s Finest style team-up series.

So this is where things get murky. You are right in stating this is pre-crisis Wondy and friends but it is also a Multiverse thing with the Red Rain universe. I think because of the weird mashup of Multiverses I was down for the story. I don’t disagree with you as you have made a very valid point.

1 Like

I think it wouldn’t have bothered me so much if it weren’t for Etta and Steve dying at the end. Like this is technically the “last” Pre-Crisis Earth 1 Wonder Woman story, so to have her end on that sour note just feels wrong.

…Then again, was it Earth 1 Wonder Woman who got to be married with Steve and put into the Pantheon at the end of Crisis? If so, how the flip does that work?

2 Likes

I think this is a huge downside of the Multiverse that DC often runs into. It is weird that Wonder Woman didn’t get a grand finale in the form of Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? and both books have stood the test of time.

2 Likes

:00_wonder_woman_gold: I’m going back thru it right now while I’ve got a break. One thing standing out is how, just like the first time, its really making me want to watch Suspiria all over again! lol :100: agree w/ this :point_down:

There’s a fantastic atmosphere to these, and recommend it, for sure! (It’s also making me want to reread Convergence: Swamp Thing! Also very good!) The story is concise, descriptive, and engaging—plus, who doesn’t like a good cult?!

I’ve never considered myself a big Joker fan, but I enjoy the way he’s written here. I also prefer Diana w/ Steve, so: Points for that! (Sorry Supes) Were-Catwoman is something I’ll always be thankful for, too! :catwoman_hv_2: :black_heart: Great pick @D4RK5TARZ @LaserPuff

2 Likes

The remake or the Dario Argento original version? I have both, the blu-ray of the original is crazy expensive now and that is the most I have ever paid for a single movie. It came with a steel case and a sweet soundtrack by Goblin. The remake I have on Vudu and is just another movie I have.

2 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ I haven’t seen the remake yet—should I? Worth it? Some remakes disappoint, so I sometimes think it’s better to stay away from them.

1 Like

It is a different vibe, not bad. It took me a few times to actually get into it and give it the chance it deserves. However, I rarely revisit the original and have to be in a very specific mood for it. If anything, you should watch it for the excellent Thom Yorke soundtrack. Personally, if I am going to Argento flicks I will watch the giallo classic Tenebrae every time. I also dig The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Opera, and Phantoms.

1 Like