House of Horror 53 - Preacher!

:house_of_horror: Greetings Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

Happy Thanksgiving! While I can’t speak for @LaserPuff, I am pretty confident that I can say we are both thankful for everyone that has joined House of Horror over the past year. This little corner of the DC Community wouldn’t be the same without you!!! I do want to mention that we will be returning to our normal format of reading new books next week. I am sure this is a busy time of the year for everyone, including myself, and I don’t want to overload everyone with comics to read.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Horror...EVER!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2
House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend
House of Horror 47 - Hellblazer: Rise and Fall
House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne
House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse
House of Horror 50 - World Without End
House of Horror 51 - Horror Anthologies Grab Bag of Terror!
House of Horror 52 - Victorian Undead

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

This week we are going to read Preacher! Written by Garth Ennis with art by Steve Dillon. The first issue was released in 1995 following an amazing run on Hellblazer by this creative team. Ennis would go on to write other popular runs at Marvel (Punisher), Wildstorm (The Authority and Midnighter), as well as return to Vertigo for more Constantine. Currently, he is writing Marjorie Finnegan: Temporal Criminal for AWA Upshot.

Steve Dillon passed away in 2016. Garth Ennis had this to say about Steve Dillon’s art, His “pages were as fluid as camerawork, as efficient and composed as theater,” the novelist and comic-book writer Warren Ellis said in an interview. “Everything breathed.”

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:
Preacher 1 (1995) (rated 17+)

Preacher 2 (1995) (rated 17+)

Preacher 3 (1995) (rated 17+)

Preacher 4 (1995) (rated 17+)

Preacher 5 (1995) (rated 17+)

Preacher 6 (1995) (rated 17+)

Preacher 7 (1995) (rated 17+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you thought of Preacher!

4 Likes

I’ve never read this. I watched the tv show & it was unreal tho. Looking forward to it.

PS. I’ll check the dollar stores around here for that Amanda Conner book. If I find another one I’ll grab it for ya’. Meant to tell u that yesterday & forgot.

3 Likes

I have checked my Ollie’s more than once and it wasn’t there. I have picked up some great books just not that one.

3 Likes

I’ll check every time I go to ones around here.

3 Likes

I also haven’t read this one yet. I’ve been looking forward to this book for a real long time.

I enjoyed the show. My buddy, who’s read it told me to show has a few differences, but is excellent.

3 Likes

This has been an amazing year for me. I am so grateful for all the great people in the @HouseofHorror who have joined us on this journey through the darker side of the DCU. Your insights, fun and excitement toward these reading lists have been a joy.

I’m also thankful to @D4RK5TARZ who asked me to help lead. He has been a real awesome, listening to my ideas and chatting about random stuff. And I’ll never forget being introduced to sleazy b-movie directors. I can’t wait to see what the next year has in store!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

3 Likes

Nice. I’m beyond confident I’m going to love it…oh & Happy Thanksgiving gang…

3 Likes

I’m grateful and thankful to be part of such a wonderful and awesome community with good comics and great people.

5 Likes

I feel the exact same way. Ty, that’s a very nice sentiment & I totally agree. :grinning:

4 Likes

These were an interesting read. A very twisted sense of humor along with the premise of divine/demonic possession.

4 Likes

Nothing like hearing offbeat stories about actresses from sleazy directors! I am hoping they will have a convention in the spring. Speaking of talking, I am off in the middle of December and if the weather isn’t too bad we should get together to plan the first few months of 2022! @capo-mage could join as well!

Great to see what everyone is thankful for!!

4 Likes

All set over here. Hopefully I can find my used car by then. If not, I have access to one.

3 Likes

I took a lit class in college about comics and I remember my professor saying that we weren’t going to read Preacher because it was too graphic, and this definitely lived up to that!

I have some complicated feelings on this one. Usually I’m easily bored with stories that have religious themes, but I feel like the dialogue and the characters really kept me into it this time around. The writing is pretty great. It was a bummer to see so many slurs (racist, homophobic, ableist, sexist) getting thrown left and right, but I guess it’s just a mixture of the story being based partly in Texas and also the 90s (AND the abundance of cop characters)? It feels like that kind of stuff can’t be avoided with 90s comics, which is why I usually steer clear. I did love how the story started by planting us right in the middle of the chaos in the diner scene, no intro to the characters, and we just have to figure it out as we read.

Definitely interested in watching the show after reading these issues. Another one to add to my ever-growing list.

6 Likes

Growing up thru the 90’s we definitely made some mistakes in that generation. But, we also laid the groundwork for all the issues u mentioned. The millennials took it from there & ran with it. Gen X (my generation) was the beginning of reversing all of the stuff u mentioned; with as much power as we could possibly muster. Took some time & those issues are still a problem. But we made tremendous headway in cleaning up those areas. The millennials saw it thru. Still, a lot needs to change tho….but I know what u mean & where you’re coming from.

5 Likes

Forgot, the show is incredible!!! No worries on anything racist etc. but Seth Rogen did it-so, it’s no holds barred on the insanity. You might find yourself binging it pretty quickly.

5 Likes

I picked up the first season at Dollar Tree for $1.

6 Likes

Nice find!!!

4 Likes

You beat the increase to $1.25!

5 Likes

Wow I didn’t know Seth Rogen was involved! That makes me feel better about watching haha

4 Likes

Yeah director, it really is amazing!!! I’d never steer u wrong. It’s one of the most unique & best shows I’ve seen in a while. I watched it as soon as it aired…

4 Likes