House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish?

Welcome, Love Birds!

I am excited to bring you the newest reading selection in the House of Romance. Before we get to the heart of everything, I would like to give a HUGE House of Romance welcome to our newest members @JokesOnYouuuu, @thisiscourt, and @OldManJonah! I hope you can get comfortable in the House of Romance. If you need to you can shove some of the rose petals to the ground for a seat. In other House of Romance news, I would like to announce to everyone that @LaserPuff has accepted the position to be the co-pilot of this love boat. We have a lot of fun stuff coming at you in the near future and I know some of it I would never have thought of without him.

:catwoman_hv_4:If you missed a House of Horror Romance event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoR topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is!:catwoman_hv_4:

Every House of Horror, I mean, Romance EVER!!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4

If you haven’t joined the House of Horror Romance all you need to do is click the “join button” here !
If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror Romance library here !

This week we are going to be asking an age-old question, at least since Haddaway first asked the question in 1993. What is love? Is love a horrific tragedy? Is love the union of two people vowing to be there for one and another for better or worse? Is love a brief escape and reminder of what once was? Is love fleeting like a young romance?

Romance comics have a rich history that is sadly lacking on DC Universe Infinite. Young Romance, the granddaddy of all romance comics was created by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon. Honestly, I really think these two guys are gonna make a HUGE splash in the comic industry. This site has a good overview of the popularity of romance comics and some great covers. Sadly, DCUI does not have any Young Romance, Heart Throbs, or any of the many romance comics in its library…yet. I have hopes that will change one day.

There is a bright side that many of these comics are in the public domain! You can check out some of these books here, (even if we will not be focusing on them):

To help get you in the mood…to read some romance comics here is a spiffy playlist.

:books: Books to read:books:
Our first book this week is a crossover with the amazing @BirdsofPrey club!!! This is a classic story featuring Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon that I, like many, absolutely love.
Birds of Prey 8 (1998) (rated 12+)

We are finally returning to a House of Romance favorite!!! The first book in this series is great and definitely worth checking out if you haven’t read it before.
The Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 2 (1971) (rated 12+)

The New 52 tried many new things, including this little nugget.
Young Romance: A New 52 Valentine’s Day Special 1 (2013) (rated 12+)

Is there anything more romantic than a wedding? You are all invited to the wedding of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. The best part about this invite is you don’t need to RSVP or buy a bread machine for the newlyweds!
Superman: The Wedding Album 1 (1996) (rated 12+)

:hearts:Don’t forget to comment below on what we have read!:hearts:

If you need more Birds of Prey in your life and let’s face it you do! You should consider joining the Birds of Prey Club! They are currently reading some kick :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Black Canary books that you don’t want to miss out on!

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 4/6
imageimage

Trade Paperbacks
imageimage

Random Poll!!!

Who sang I Will Always Love You better?
  • Dolly Parton
  • Whitney Houston

0 voters

14 Likes

Thank you for that poll @D4RK5TARZ :notes::purple_heart: and thank you for inviting us! :00_black_canary: :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: :00_huntress1:

I’ve been chipping away at Dark Mansions of Forbidden Love for a while—great pick!

7 Likes

I have only read the first issue and that was excellent! I can’t wait to dive deeper into this series. I know at some point they change the name of it. I can only assume they took away the romance or the mansion.

6 Likes

Ps. I voted for Dolly, because the song breaks my heart more when is gentler. :broken_heart: I’m sappy. And hopeless lol.

6 Likes

I found it on accident, and then @capo-mage, I think :thinking: recommended it to me last year after I mentioned it—didn’t disappoint!

5 Likes

I voted for Dolly on the pure basis that I don’t remember hearing it on the radio or MTV what felt like 100 times a day when I was a kid. That and I am slowly admitting to myself that I can get down to country music. Whitney’s version is no slouch and that performance is breathtaking.

6 Likes

Can’t keep a good song down, so both versions are :ok_hand: agree!

I listen to most everything, but there’s lots of good country! :smile: promise! blue grass and super old folk and blues is more my thing when I listen. Try these…maybe. :purple_heart: Love songs.

5 Likes

I do love bluegrass! I feel like I might have seen Old Crow Medicine Show but maybe not? I have been to way too many concerts and festivals. I know I have seen Leftover Salmon and Acoustic Syndicate. Speaking of festivals I remember seeing these 2 old guys picking by a cabin late at night, like 2-3 am late. Well, they were great and by the end of their “set” they started playing AC/DC. There was a lot of fun that night and the next morning gave birth to many humorous conversations.

3 Likes

YEES! :banjo: Bluegrass metal covers— are kinda awesome. I play guitar, but got myself a banjo for a project, and Wagon Wheel was the song I practiced w/ so I only know that one album of theirs.

5 Likes

Ah, a chance to re-read the Superman Wedding Special once more. I’m In Like Flint! :superman:

Also, Dolly. She wins every time. Whitney Houston was a great talent, but Dolly aces that contest.

4 Likes

I would like to give a HUGE House of Romance welcome to our newest members @JokesOnYouuuu, @thisiscourt, and @OldManJonah!

Thanks for the welcome! I just finished reading through the first week’s selections and thread, very excited to catch up with you all and check out some new-to-me titles :flash_hv_5:

5 Likes

Romance Comics like this?

6 Likes

Wait, I think I actually read that book. What book is this? I read so many comics that I can’t keep them all straight but I know I saw this. I feel like this was maybe a Supergirl book?

4 Likes

i dunno know

4 Likes

Those words are an official statement from the DC History Club

5 Likes

Theirs is the relationship to model all relationships toward. Best of soulmates.

5 Likes

So authoritative

4 Likes

Thank you @D4RK5TARZ for inviting me to be co-leader! I’m very exited to help and make this club thrive. I hope to introduce people to horror who may not have known that there was horror at DC.

4 Likes

Welcome to the club! I look forward to hearing what you think of these books.

3 Likes

I did not know hipster bluegrass was a thing, I dig it.

4 Likes