House of Horror 60 - Suicide Squad: Black Files

:house_of_horror: Greetings, Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

I hope everyone is doing great! We are officially in spring and the rain is a pouring as I type this. It is perfect weather to curl up with a good comic. I really enjoyed our last selection so I am hoping to keep that trend going with Suicide Squad: Black Files. In the pages of this Suicide Squad title, we will revisit Gentleman Ghost, who you might remember from Gotham by Midnight’s Annual.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Horror EVER!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2
House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend
House of Horror 47 - Hellblazer: Rise and Fall
House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne
House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse
House of Horror 50 - World Without End
House of Horror 51 - Horror Anthologies Grab Bag of Terror!
House of Horror 52 - Victorian Undead
House of Horror 53 - Preacher!
House of Horror 54 - iZombie Part 3
House of Horror 55 - New Horror
House of Horror 56 - Hail to the King!
House of Horror 57 - Brimstone
House of Crime 58 - The Kitchen
House of Horror 59 - Gotham by Midnight

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the outdated House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

:00_suicide_squad2: Books to Read :00_suicide_squad2:
Suicide Squad: Black Files 1-6 (2018) (rated 15+)

Don’t forget to share with us your thoughts on Suicide Squad: Black Files!

If you want to read more of the horrors that take place in Gotham City you are in luck! House of Horror has joined forces with Harley’s Crew, World of Bats, and Obscurity of DC Club to bring you Fear State! This is a huge Batman event that is sure to strike fear down your spine.

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics Released on 5/3/2022 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics Released on 5/10/2022 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics On DCUI On 5/3/2022 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics On DCUI On 5/10/2022 :house_of_horror:

10 Likes

I just finished the first issue. I like the setup. Task Force X but with magic much like Justice League Dark. I’m not familiar with most of the characters but that is the fun of Suicide Squad you never know who is going to get the axe. I didn’t know much about Katan’s soul sword but this seems to be giving a nice intro. I feel like there was a Katana Stand-alone book published recently.

I’m excited to see Karion the witch boy in this book. I’ve only ever seen him in the cartoons.

I loved Gentleman Ghost in the Annual of Gotham by Midnight. I’m still working through that series but I really liked the Annual.

I hope that everyone else is enjoying this series too!

3 Likes

I am on issue 4 and have mixed thoughts on this series. It is good but it feels like they had the idea for 2 Suicide Squad books and instead of doing that they just put the two together. Furthermore, Katana’s story seems to be a continuation of her previous mini series.

I will have more opinions when I finish book 6.

3 Likes

Right! I was real surprised when the second half of the first issue started up. Not complaining though two for the price of one. :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I forgot to mention on the original post, The Sandman Book 3 and 4 are being released this and next week! I have picked up the first two books and plan on grabbing the last two to have the full series.

3 Likes

Now that is some great news! More Sandman please!

2 Likes

They are just reprinted with the addition of the soon-to-be Netflix series on it. But the covers are nice and I have wanted to read them for a while.

3 Likes

My opinion on Suicide Squad: Black Files is kind of meh. I enjoyed some parts more than others.

As I have previously mentioned, this feels like 2 comics smashed into one. Katana’s story is enjoyable to some degree. It really didn’t feature too many horror or magic elements, which is a missed opportunity considering they were in Fukumaden, there were plenty of chances to show some sort of monsters or magic. Instead, it was a few pages and done. I did enjoy this as a Suicide Squad comic but not really as a horror story.

Suicide Squad Black is a cool idea. It did sort of fall flat for me in regards to a horror book. However, the idea and the question mark after “The End” on the last page shows there was intentions to have more stories with this team. In which case, I can’t really be too upset with this. It was meant as an intro to a new team and then it went no where. If Suicide Squad Black shows up elsewhere, I would like to know.

2 Likes

Now that’s some good stuff. Both read and unread for me. SS black files is awesome. Just recently reread it. Loving DC vs. Vampires from the small sample I got today. All looks fantastic, thanks guys!!!

2 Likes

DC vs Vampires is excellent! It isn’t DCeased in the least as it doesn’t take itself seriously. But it is a lot of fun!

2 Likes

:+1: off to a great start!!!

1 Like

Not loving this one so far. I’ve just finished #4. The Katana story is pretty boring to me and totally a missed opportunity with some horror elements with her being stuck in the Fukumaden. The SSD team is fun though and I feel way more into that story.

I’m a little confused about the timelines. Are we to assume that these are happening totally separately from each other? I JUST caught on that Enchantress is part of the regular Suicide Squad and Suicide Squad Dark, so they can’t be happening at the same time right? I kind of thought since these books were smashed together that somehow they would tie in with each other, and that’s sort of happening by the end of the 4th issue.

5 Likes

I think we can place her under the Batman or Wolverine rule. She is able to be in multiple places and stories at the same time.

I enjoyed this for what it was but overall, a lot of it was meh. Maybe because I was expecting more of a “dark” story and not just some weird superhero story with Katana that had a chance to go full on “dark”.

3 Likes