House of Horror 61: Reign In H, E, Double Hockey Sticks

:house_of_horror: Greetings, Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

The temperatures are getting hotter outside and we have the perfect book to match those temperatures! We are going to read Reign In Hell from 2008!

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Horror Ever!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2
House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend
House of Horror 47 - Hellblazer: Rise and Fall
House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne
House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse
House of Horror 50 - World Without End
House of Horror 51 - Horror Anthologies Grab Bag of Terror!
House of Horror 52 - Victorian Undead
House of Horror 53 - Preacher!
House of Horror 54 - iZombie Part 3
House of Horror 55 - New Horror
House of Horror 56 - Hail to the King!
House of Horror 57 - Brimstone
House of Crime 58 - The Kitchen
House of Horror 59 - Gotham by Midnight
House of Horror 60 - Suicide Squad: Black Files

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the outdated House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

:fire: Books to read :fire:
Reign In Hell 1-8 (2008) (rated 12+)

Don’t forget to let us know your thoughts on Reign In Hell!

If you want to read more of the horrors that take place in Gotham City you are in luck! House of Horror has joined forces with Harley’s Crew, World of Bats, and Obscurity of DC Club to bring you Fear State! This is a huge Batman event that is sure to strike fear down your spine.

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics Released on 5/17/2022 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics Released on 5/24/2022 :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: New Horror Comics On DCUI On 5/24/2022 :house_of_horror:

7 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to this one for a long time. This should be fun!

5 Likes

Neat! I enjoyed Reign in Hell when it came out and might just take in a re-read.

Also, this? :point_down:t2:

Absolutely picking it up this Tuesday.

SN: Is Fables considered horror? I always predominantly saw it as fantasy in a modern setting.

5 Likes

that looks awesome! I’ve already requested Fables to get on DCUI.

5 Likes

You, me and like, everyone one else here wants Fables in our library, so I hope it happens. :crossed_fingers:t2: :clark_hv_4:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say everyone… I didn’t care for it when I read the first tpb ages ago. I’d probably give it another try if it was on DCUI.

5 Likes

I was being silly in my emphasis. :wink:

Fables took a while for me to get into. I’ve always enjoyed the concept, but IDK…the first trade took a couple re-reads before I finally said “Okay, now I like this.”

4 Likes

The premise was very appealing. Which is why I bought the first volume. There has been a number of similar stories but I believe Fables was the first to do it.

4 Likes

I like how the last issue served as the last trade. That was a creative idea to wrap up both the single issue and trade runs.

3 Likes

Probably not but it was the closest thing to horror being released that week.

4 Likes

That is the hope…

I am on issue 7 and have opinions.

5 Likes

Close enough, and let’s remember…when redheads are involved, exceptions can most certainly be made.

3 Likes

You mean like sometimes redhead Enchantress? She does make a few appearances in Reign In Hell along with Shadowpact!

4 Likes

Redheaded sorceress…:hugs:

Did you catch her in Superman and The Authority?

3 Likes

I did! Along with Lady Shiva, Black Alice, and so many more, she needs her own solo series!

4 Likes

I hope you’re eager for a re-read, because its getting the spotlight next month in a certain :superman:uper club. :wink:

3 Likes

Wrapped up Reign In Hell. Okay, so the concept is pretty good. Not great but good. The battle for the throne of Hell. Interesting. Then the execution of the comic, it kind of meanders for a bit. We get the politics of the throne and that is kind of boring. At the same time, there is a big comic event vibe throughout the series. That is pretty cool. You see characters pick sides and fight each other. Outside of that, a lot of the comic kind of falls flat for me. It might have been the art that took me out of the story more than the story. Faded colors, sketchy inks. It seems haphazard at times.

Thankfully, 7 of the 8 books included a Richard Occult story. This was taking place at the same as the main story, which in itself seemed weird that it was regulated to a back story and not just interspersed in the main story. I grew to want to the Doctor Occult story to be the main story and one point maybe Keith Giffen did too. There is a part in the main story that the knowledge needed for it to make sense takes place in the back story, which was read after the main story. Weird. Still, Doctor Occult’s story was a fun read. Another weird thing, it often felt more thought out. There wasn’t a huge cast of characters to keep track of. While the story was simple and full of commonly used tropes, it was enjoyable.

Now, not to be too hard on the main story, it did feature Shadowpact!!! I really like this team and DCUI needs to get to the rest of the Shadowpact series in its library because well, I need more. There were moments when Shadowpact were the main focus and I was all in for that. I also really enjoyed Zatanna’s story. Everything else just felt like filler.

6 Likes

Only have read # 1 and 2 so far, its alright the story is not that exciting (especially when im in the middle of reading nice house on the lake)but i do enjoy seeing all the magic/demon charcaters like alice, ragman, actually all of shadowpact. And of course etrigan who i dont think ive ever seen wear a helmet, i love it.

6 Likes

You have hit on a lot of what I thought about this story. It was cool to see so many characters but it kind of meanders at the beginning.

4 Likes

Agreed I still have 2 issues left, thinking it was goung to pick up a bit… theres is definitely that “big comic event vibe” especially with all the stories taking place within the one.

I didnt really mind the art, the characters were all drawn really well to me. I think maybe a little more color for the backgrounds instead of all the pale orange that was going on.

On a different note Blue Devil vs Etrigan

is that even a fair fight, no offense to Danny but ah my boys got this. I will say a ryhming etrigan would have been better. Also ebjoyed how they incorporated Blood back into the story with Boston, interested to see where that goes.

5 Likes