House of Crime 58 - The Kitchen

Greetings, Crime Sleuths!

I hope everyone is doing great! Last night @LaserPuff and I stayed up late as we plotted the next few months of this club and I am really excited about the books we will be reading.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Crime event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoC topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Crime...EVER!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2
House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend
House of Horror 47 - Hellblazer: Rise and Fall
House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne
House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse
House of Horror 50 - World Without End
House of Horror 51 - Horror Anthologies Grab Bag of Terror!
House of Horror 52 - Victorian Undead
House of Horror 53 - Preacher!
House of Horror 54 - iZombie Part 3
House of Horror 55 - New Horror
House of Horror 56 - Hail to the King!
House of Horror 57 - Brimstone

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Crime all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Crime library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

For the next two weeks we are going to read The Kitchen released by Vertigo Comics in 2014. This was made into a film released in 2019 starring Tiffany Hadish, Elisabeth Hadish, and Melissa McCarthy.

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:
The Kitchen 1-8 (2014) (rated 17+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you think of The Kitchen! Have you seen the movie and read the comic? Which version did you prefer?

10 Likes

This has been on my to-read list! I’ll (hopefully) check it out with y’all!

6 Likes

This has been one of those books that I keep forgetting is on DCUI. I can’t wait to see what you think!

7 Likes

This is a first rate story. One of the things I love about DCUI is finding non hero stories I’ve never heard of and discovering something new and exciting. The Kitchen 100% fit that bill.

7 Likes

I really enjoyed The Kitchen. The story was fast paced. During the first issue when everything fell in place, the characters were built to evolve. I will write more after this sizzles in my mind for a bit.

I remember not liking the movie too much but I will give it another go this weekend, when I get the chance.

6 Likes

There was a movie?

6 Likes

Indeed there was. It came out in 2019:

I kind of want to see it now, and read the comic, too.

8 Likes

Yup! I linked to the IMDB in the initial post along with posting a trailer.

7 Likes

I knew that the movie existed, but I didn’t know it was based on this comic. Definitely a tragic story. Sad to see how things turn out for these women.

6 Likes

Awesome, :books: I enjoyed it, so I’ll be back. :purple_heart: Movie: I feel like I should try again, tbh. I might feel differently now—who knows.

6 Likes

I couldn’t put this book down this morning. It was so great. The progression of the characters individual arcs. The navigation of the criminal scene. I really rooted for the ladies.

I’ve been watching a couple 70s true crime stories including son of Sam and they nailed the feeling I got from those shows.

6 Likes

You can do it!

4 Likes

Live by the sword die by the sword. They did the best they could. Thriving in that environment wouldn’t have been easy.

5 Likes

I may have to check it out.

6 Likes

Agreed!

I’m not the only one that didn’t like it! I want to give it another chance and I might like it more?

I got through this one pretty fast. Actually, I have been on a Vertigo kick lately, reading this, Motherlands and Army @ Love. The last 2 titles are in my personal collection while The Kitchen was on DCUI.

Anyway, The Kitchen definitely is a page-turner and it often felt like I just started a book and it was finished in no time.

It is a tragic story but sort of a story about freedom as well? The ending wasn’t exactly happy but Tommy and Angie seemed to have the happy ending they deserved.

7 Likes

I read Motherland a while ago, good sci-fi mother/daughter bonding going on in that book

5 Likes

It was enjoyable. I picked it up at Marc’s of all places for like $2.99 a while back. I think I have another Marc’s book on my shelf, Deathbed.

5 Likes

Deathbed sounds like fun.

I wish they had Clean Room on DCUI.

6 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ If you’d like to host a Watch-Along for The Kitchen, I think some of us would be inclined to attend.

Also, I might root around in the kitchen before watching The Kitchen. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

This is a possibility. I will have to figure out my schedule and get back to you. The hours I work make it kind of hard to set up anything.

5 Likes