House of Crime 58 - The Kitchen

Greetings, Crime Sleuths!

I hope everyone is doing great! Last night @LaserPuff and I stayed up late as we plotted the next few months of this club and I am really excited about the books we will be reading.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Crime event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoC topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is! :00_swamp_thing:

Every House of Crime...EVER!!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine
House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction
House of Horror 32 - The Spectre
House of Horror 33 - Exploring The Dark Multiverse
House of Horror 34 - Raven
House of Horror 35 - iZombies and vampires
House of Horror 36 - More Spectre!
House of Horror 37 - Shadowpact
House of Horror 38 - Bronze Age Horror Anthologies
House of Horror 39 - Flashpoint & More!
House of Horror 40 - Rotworld Part 1
House of Horror 41 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 2
House of Horror 42 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 : Rotworld Part 3
House of Horror 43 - THE SANDMAN BY NEIL GAIMAN
House of Horror 44 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man
House of Horror 45 - Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52: Resurrection Man Part 2
House of Horror 46 - The Doomed And The Legend
House of Horror 47 - Hellblazer: Rise and Fall
House of Horror 48 - Daphne Byrne
House of Horror 49 - Scooby Apocalypse
House of Horror 50 - World Without End
House of Horror 51 - Horror Anthologies Grab Bag of Terror!
House of Horror 52 - Victorian Undead
House of Horror 53 - Preacher!
House of Horror 54 - iZombie Part 3
House of Horror 55 - New Horror
House of Horror 56 - Hail to the King!
House of Horror 57 - Brimstone

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Crime all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Crime library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

For the next two weeks we are going to read The Kitchen released by Vertigo Comics in 2014. This was made into a film released in 2019 starring Tiffany Hadish, Elisabeth Hadish, and Melissa McCarthy.

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:
The Kitchen 1-8 (2014) (rated 17+)

Don’t forget to let us know what you think of The Kitchen! Have you seen the movie and read the comic? Which version did you prefer?

9 Likes

This has been on my to-read list! I’ll (hopefully) check it out with y’all!

6 Likes

This has been one of those books that I keep forgetting is on DCUI. I can’t wait to see what you think!

6 Likes

This is a first rate story. One of the things I love about DCUI is finding non hero stories I’ve never heard of and discovering something new and exciting. The Kitchen 100% fit that bill.

6 Likes

I really enjoyed The Kitchen. The story was fast paced. During the first issue when everything fell in place, the characters were built to evolve. I will write more after this sizzles in my mind for a bit.

I remember not liking the movie too much but I will give it another go this weekend, when I get the chance.

5 Likes

There was a movie?

6 Likes

Indeed there was. It came out in 2019:

I kind of want to see it now, and read the comic, too.

7 Likes

Yup! I linked to the IMDB in the initial post along with posting a trailer.

6 Likes

I knew that the movie existed, but I didn’t know it was based on this comic. Definitely a tragic story. Sad to see how things turn out for these women.

5 Likes

Awesome, :books: I enjoyed it, so I’ll be back. :purple_heart: Movie: I feel like I should try again, tbh. I might feel differently now—who knows.

5 Likes

I couldn’t put this book down this morning. It was so great. The progression of the characters individual arcs. The navigation of the criminal scene. I really rooted for the ladies.

I’ve been watching a couple 70s true crime stories including son of Sam and they nailed the feeling I got from those shows.

5 Likes

You can do it!

4 Likes

Live by the sword die by the sword. They did the best they could. Thriving in that environment wouldn’t have been easy.

4 Likes

I may have to check it out.

5 Likes

Agreed!

I’m not the only one that didn’t like it! I want to give it another chance and I might like it more?

I got through this one pretty fast. Actually, I have been on a Vertigo kick lately, reading this, Motherlands and Army @ Love. The last 2 titles are in my personal collection while The Kitchen was on DCUI.

Anyway, The Kitchen definitely is a page-turner and it often felt like I just started a book and it was finished in no time.

It is a tragic story but sort of a story about freedom as well? The ending wasn’t exactly happy but Tommy and Angie seemed to have the happy ending they deserved.

6 Likes

I read Motherland a while ago, good sci-fi mother/daughter bonding going on in that book

4 Likes

It was enjoyable. I picked it up at Marc’s of all places for like $2.99 a while back. I think I have another Marc’s book on my shelf, Deathbed.

4 Likes

Deathbed sounds like fun.

I wish they had Clean Room on DCUI.

5 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ If you’d like to host a Watch-Along for The Kitchen, I think some of us would be inclined to attend.

Also, I might root around in the kitchen before watching The Kitchen. :drooling_face:

4 Likes

This is a possibility. I will have to figure out my schedule and get back to you. The hours I work make it kind of hard to set up anything.

4 Likes