House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction

:house_of_horror: Greetings Horror Hounds! :house_of_horror:

We are officially in summer and 2021 is more than almost over! Where has the time gone? One thing is for sure, this year has been filled with great horror comics! Before we get into the book selections for this week, on behalf of every habitat of the House of Horror @LaserPuff and I would like to welcome our newest members @kellythetailor and @MiscellaneousSoup! Please make yourself at home but I wouldn’t touch that button that says “gravity” as that the only thing keeping us from floating towards the sun.

:st_swamp_thing: If you missed a House of Horror event have no fear! Here is a list of every HoH topic! Feel free to jump into the conversation no matter how old the topic is!:st_swamp_thing2:

EVERY HOUSE OF HORROR...EVER!!!

House of Horror 1 - House of Mystery
House of Horror 2
House of Horror 3 - Renegade Robins Crossover!!!
House of Horror 4 - Harley’s Crew Crossover!!!
House of Horror 5 - Halloween Celebration!
House of Horror 6 - Vampires!
House of Horror 7 - Member Picks Vol. 1
House of Horror 8 - Winter Specials - Harley’s Crew Crossover
House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays!
House of Horror 10 - Happy New Year!
House of Horror 11- Week Before DC Universe Infinite!
House of Horror 12 - Plunging Into The Infinite
House of Horror 13 - A Frightening Valentine
House of Horror 14 - On Marz No One Can Hear You Scream
House of Horror 15 - Justice League Horrors Week 1
House of Horror 16 - Justice League Horrors Week 2
House of Horror 17 - Justice League Horrors Week 3
House of Horror 18 - Justice League Horrors Week 4
House of Romance 19 - Are Romance Comics Foolish ?
House of Horror 20 - Vampires 2
House of Horror 21 - The Green Part 1
House of Horror 22 - The Green Part 2
House of Horror 23 - Superfamily Horrors
House of Horror 24 - Going To Gotham!
House of Horror 25 - Mystik U!
House of Horror 26 - National Comics
House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!!!
House of Horror 28 - The Low, Low Woods
House of Horror 29 - Returning To The Dark Mansion
House of Horror 30 - Constantine

:00_swamp_thing: If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here ! If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here ! :00_swamp_thing:

House of Horror has prided itself in picking titles that are off the wall or out of the box. This week’s selections might not even fall into the horror genre! Instead, we are taking a look into a few Vertigo science fiction anthologies. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were horror elements found in the pages of Strange Adventures and Mystery In Space. In other words, these will fit in with the normal House of Horror reads. These two titles are also a great way to introduce yourself to Vertigo comics if you haven’t already. DCUI features titles like iZombie, Hellblazer, and House of Mystery to name a few. Speaking of iZombie, Mike Allred worked on Mystery In Space so my expectations are kind of high for his contribution.

:house_of_horror: Books to Read :house_of_horror:
Mystery In Space 1 (2012) (rated 17+)

Strange Adventures 1 (1999) (rated 17+)

Strange Adventures 2 (1999) (rated 17+)

Strange Adventures 3 (1999) (rated 17+)

Strange Adventures 4 (1999) (rated 17+)

:house_of_horror: Don’t forget to let us know your thoughts on what you have read! :house_of_horror:

:house_of_horror: Remember to keep your peepers peeled to your DM’s! We have some House of Horror EXCLUSIVE wallpapers and bookmarks only for HoH members! :house_of_horror:

If you are new to House of Horror and missed out on our EXCLUSIVE digital goodies you can always access them at the bottom of our first post that can be found on our club page! Or you can just click one of the links below.
Swamp Thing Wallpapers
Batwoman Wallpapers/Bookmark
Zatanna Wallpapers/Bookmark
National Comics Wallpapers/Bookmarks
iZombie Wallpapers/Bookmark
DC Horror Wallpapers/Bookmarks
The Low, Low Woods Wallpapers/Bookmarks
Deadman and Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love Wallpapers/Bookmarks
John Constantine Wallpapers/Bookmarks

A few new horror comics are hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.
Released 7/6

New to DCUI 7/6: please note these are subject to change

Have you checked out our Panel-A-Day topic? Have you seen any horrific panels that you want to share with us? This is the place to do so!

Random Poll

Your preferred way for Earth’s destruction
  • Zombie apocalypse
  • Alien invasion
  • Nuclear fallout
0 voters
4 Likes

I can’t wait for the next installment of the Conjuring and Nice House!

3 Likes

Next week!!! Both books left me wanting more so I am very excited for each book.

2 Likes

Totally, need to find out what happens next.

2 Likes

Half way through the first anthology of Mystery in Space. It’s good, it comes on strong right off the bat. They are fun and thought provoking like any good sci-fi story. Wish I didn’t have to get up early tomorrow or I’d read the rest.

2 Likes

That is the very reason why I am waiting for tomorrow night or this weekend to read these books. My sleep last night was crap and I have to actually be awake and stuff tomorrow at work.

2 Likes

Mystery In Space was excellent! A few stories were meh but overall I really enjoyed this book. One thing I noticed was how many of the stories were grim and ended with the thought of hope. The art throughout the book was very hit and miss for me and this might have changed my overall view of a story. The last story by Mike Allred was perfect.

I do need to mention how there was a conversation about blowing up the moon in one of the stories.

My mind instantly went to Mr. Show.

3 Likes

I really enjoyed Mystery In Space and my hopes were high for Strange Adventures. Each book has 3 stories and the first book really didn’t do much for me. The last story in the first book, Immune, was intense and unexpectedly horrific. Out of all 4 stories that is the one that will probably stick with me. In book 4 there was a story about a guy who was wanting to kill these little girls and that was fun. It had a weird twist which fit the different style of the art.

2 Likes

You got me watching Mr. Show again. I haven’t watched that since someone stole the DVDs from my college bedroom.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it in forever outside of the YouTube rabbit hole.

2 Likes

HBO has it

3 Likes

I have em all on dvd lol. I didn’t take yours tho I promise. One of the best shows ever. Not only were Odenkirk & David Cross unknowns, creator of Spongebob (rip), Sarah Silverman, Jack Black, Jay Johnston, Brian Posehn, Tom Kenny (Spongebob), Paul F. Tompkins, Scott Auckerman, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Ben Stller, Janeane Garofalo, Marlon Wayans!!! All huge names. Even ones u don’t recognize u probably know. Plus they had a skit where Tom Kenny is selling a book about a sponge that lives in the ocean, & it’s Spongebob. Like 20yrs b4 he actually made the show. Run Ronnie Run…

3 Likes

The cast was fantastic! I put Mr Show up there with Kids in the Hall.

3 Likes

I have the entire series of Kids in the Hall and that is definitely a rainy day go to.

3 Likes

Where do u put the State? Or are u not familiar with that one? It was on MTV, it’s amazing. Tons from that too Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, Kerri Kenney -Silver, Ken Marino, Thomas Lennon, Robert Ben Garant, Joe Lo Truglio, those are iconic names in comedy. Almost the entire cast of Reno 911 is in that show. Add in the things Showalter & that cast contributed, even just as writers, if u laughed at all during the 90’s someone from that show probably wrote it.

1 Like

Never watched the state. I was too much into standup comic CDs back then. Lewis Black, Dennis Leary, Dave Attell, Adam Sandler

1 Like

I still own Dave Attels insomniac on DVD lol, he’s one of my favorites.

1 Like

Oh & watch the State lol. Especially the blueberry skit. Probably type in The State blueberry skit & watch it. Also, meant to say earlier. When u we’re talking kids in the hall. I laugh every time I’m reading a Supes title & Eradicator is involved. I picture ski mask, badminton & the rest of that reoccurring skit every time without fail.

That was a great show.

1 Like

The State is on Paramount Plus!!

1 Like