House of Horror 31 - Vertigo Science Fiction

Nice!!! It’s amazing I’m telling ya’.

1 Like

It really is! There was a sitcomy show on Comedy Central in the late 90s that was called Stripmall and I cannot find that anywhere! It is like the show never happened. I want to say it was paired with Strangers With Candy, another great show.

1 Like

I don’t remember Stripmall. I’m usually above average on shows & pop culture. Definitely remember Strangers With Candy tho. What show had that song- Fisheads, Fisheads Rollie Poliie -Fisheads, Fisheads eat them up yum. I took a fishead out to see a movie, didn’t have to pay to get it in. That’s all I can remember. Probably Stripmall lol.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve been reading the original Silver Age Strange Adventures as they’ve been added in the last few weeks. Definitely feel like a kid again reading that kind of science fiction. Those books love themselves a good apocalyptic story with super science brains fixing everything at the last second but not before you can add panels of people being killed by tidal waves or falling into molten cracks in the earth.

3 Likes

There she is. Me & my sister used to sing that all the time

2 Likes

Even genius takes time, if lives are lost then that’s just the cost.

Speaking of big brains, I read this one book when I was a child called Brain Wave. It’s a favorite of mine. The concept being the earth floats out of a inhibitor field and everything becomes 100 smarter including animals. It follows a bunch of scientists that almost go crazy trying to fix all the world’s problems at once. It was a good time. I love when old sci-fi does impractical things with stuff like putting uranium in wristwatches.

3 Likes

I never knew the origin, I just knew it. I think some kid in class kept singing it and I picked it up.

3 Likes

I finished all the books last night. Will report back when I get the chance to review what I just read. Overall I liked it with few exceptions.

2 Likes

Each of the issues and my quick opinion.
The Kapas: it’s a story of early Victorian western explorers, didn’t make much sense to me as a sci-fi story but I guess that was kind of considered science back then.

The Riddle of the Random Realities : scientist builds a transformation machine that goes wacky. The story was not great. It felt like a Mad magazine story. They set it up so you think one thing is happening but something else is to a humorous end.

Immune: This was the best story of the issue, I feel. World is infected with some deadly disease. Some individuals are immune and it tells the story of those who are the lucky ones.

Third Toe Left Foot: My favorite of the issue. It is the story of some mercenaries hired to clean up a threat on a terraformed planet. The story gets personal for one of the hired guns as he has a history with the planet.

Ice cream comes to Wharftown: Hipsters squatting in a soon to gentrified area notice a mystery ice cream truck roaming the neighborhood.

Expiration Date: Genius inventor builds a resurrection machine for his daughter and runs from the law to protect his inventions from falling in the wrong hands. This story felt like it belonged in the 90s.

The Split: Clockmaker Peter Pans his shadow and has to keep it from doing something he would regret. Quick read and the art was whimsical.

Driving Miss 134: Guy runs off with a girl who is wrong for him. I loved the art in this story and the premise was kind of an allegory for some real relationships. This was my favorite.

Metal Fatigue: this was story of a scientific expedition to the core of the earth. The geologist has more in mind than discovery. The monochromatic line art in this story set the mood of going deeper into the earth to follow the scientists madness.

Native Tongue by Brian Azzarello this story was written by the same guy who wrote incredible issues of The Unexpected that we read recently featuring the Spectre. It is a story about a reporter tracking down leads to find aliens. He encounters cattle mutalations and a strange murder and discovers more than he bargained for. This is my favorite of the 3 stories. The art was incredible and the reporter characters really came off the page with his apathy mixed with genuinely wanting to find the truth.

Latchkey: A warped story about a home intruder and a pair of little girls who have to deal with him. It was a fun twisted story.

Perfect Stranger: when slipping someone a Mickey is taken to another level. I didn’t really care for this story.

2 Likes

This was my favorite story in all of the books. I think after reading that in the first book, I was just hoping to find another story that would get under my skin at this level. It never happened for me.

2 Likes

Agreed the bleak tone mixed with the slowly growing paranoia of the protagonist was just about perfect.

I am glad that I found at least one story an issue that I really enjoyed.

2 Likes

I think this is the first group of books that I overall disliked in HoH. Not a bad record considering this was the 31st HoH. Thankfully, the very next week we had that amazing Tales of the Unexpected. I wasn’t expecting to like that book as much as I did.

2 Likes

It wasn’t a total lost cause like that one Halloween special I hated. :face_vomiting:

Tales of the Unexpected totally made up for this HOH though.

2 Likes