House of Horror 27 - Memorial Day and Zombies!

The original Night of the living dead was a masterpiece. I loved the Tom Savini version though. All time favorite has to be the Zack Snyder remake of Dawn of the Dead.

3 Likes

I love everything Snyder has made. I even love Sucker Punch which most donā€™t. I thought it was brilliant & all u had to do was have a halfway decent imagination to enjoy it. Watchmen is my #1 all time DC flick. But yeah, Iā€™m all Romero for my favorite. Still holds up today easily & the accolades itā€™s earned are impressive for a 1st of its kind POV style filming.

2 Likes

Putting a Romero movie on that list would not have been fair. Day of the Dead, while it is a military centric movie, is an anti military movie and I am not sure if that would have fit the Memorial Day theme. Granted, I did put Army of the Dead on there which I will admit I had on as I was reading so I didnā€™t really watch it.

3 Likes

Interesting ā€“ in that sense, Iā€™m not sure if Army of the Dead really works either. While itā€™s not as explicit as other movies of Snyderā€™s, I think they all have at least an anti-war/military-industrial complex vibe to it. Even movies like 300, while having these awe-inspiring Spartans, are also shown to be rather horrific and hypocritical at the same time.

3 Likes

I finished the prescribed 5 issues of iZombie and I want to take it up with management about not including all 28 issues for this last weeks reading. Iā€™m dying to read the rest! I love the feel of this series. It feels like an indie movie I canā€™t put my finger on.

I enjoy that the ā€œMonstersā€ are essentially normal people, normal if they ate brains and sucked blood. I like that everyone has personality and quirks. Between the sorority-like coven of vampires, the bored ghost, the laid back zombie and the nerdy wereterrier they call spot against his will. It feels like a motley crew of misfits who donā€™t have anyone but each other.

I appreciate that the author has created mini pop cultural references in itā€™s own world between the Dixie Mason Action Girl and Mr. Chimps cartoons.

The people to monster soul conversion system feels so right.
Oversoul - Thoughts, memory, personality
Undersoul - appetites, emotion fear

Ghost - Oversoul with no body
Poltergeist - Undersoul with no body
Vampire - Oversoul with a body
Zombie - Undersoul with a body
Thrope - Bodies infected with an animal soul
Possesses - person infected with a Oversoul

I dig that Gwen gets peoples memories by eating them and that John Anon essentially gave her the brain so she would meet him. I assume he did that since he is a brain eater too and didnā€™t eat Fredā€™s brain after killing him.

So much to love in this series. I canā€™t wait to read the rest.

2 Likes

Great to hear. I loved the show. Preacher also, both amazing but havenā€™t read either yet. Be soon tho.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on Preacher, still need to read it. I saw all but the last season, started but unfinished. I got distracted by something shiny I assume.

2 Likes

Took me 3 starts to finish last season for some reason too.

2 Likes

I have a feeling we will be revisiting this one soon? I have basically knocked out all 40 issues of Sweet Tooth and was pondering iZombie next.

2 Likes