Countdown to All-New DC HORROR IMPRINT: Nice House On The Lake, The Conjuring, & More Releasing 6.1.21!

To borrow a phrase from our good friends @darkstarz and @LaserPuff, our resident midnight hosts of all things DC Horror and #house-of-horror-club :house_of_horror:

Greetings, horror hounds!

There’s no greater feeling than Halloween in the Summer, and that’s exactly what DC is bringing your way 2021-06-01T07:00:00Z! Read on, if you dare… :derelict_house:

200w

On June 1, DC is launching its all-new DC HORROR imprint with The Conjuring: The Lover , a five-issue monthly limited series, which serves as a prelude to the highly anticipated New Line Cinema film, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It , arriving in theatres and exclusively on HBO Max Friday, June 4.

Here’s your first look at some interior pages from issue #1 by series artist Garry Brown.

Whoa! They weren’t kidding when they said “horror”. :sweat_smile:

This dark and haunting mystery is co-written by Daniel Johnson-McGoldrick (screenwriter, The Conjuring 2, Orphan ) and Rex Ogle. The prelude introduces college student Jessica, a college freshman returning to campus after winter break, bringing with her the anxieties of last semester’s poor grades, the awkwardness of facing a boy she wishes she’d never slept with, and an undeniably unnerving feeling of being watched.

Also launching the DC HORROR imprint is NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE, by James Tynion IV , Álvaro Martíne, and Jordie Bellaire. We recently saw a spooky sneak that looked a little something like this:

shudder We’re starting to think maybe that house ain’t so nice.

In the debut issue of The Nice House On The Lake by James Tynion IV and Álvaro Martínez Bueno, launching June 1, everyone who was invited to the house knows Walter. Some met him in childhood; some met him months ago. And Walter’s always been a little…off. But after the hardest year of their lives, nobody was going to turn down Walter’s invitation to an astonishingly beautiful house in the woods, overlooking an enormous sylvan lake. It’s beautiful, it’s opulent, it’s private—so a week of putting up with Walter’s weird little schemes and nicknames in exchange for the vacation of a lifetime? Why not?

You can read more on the DC HORROR imprint here:

We’re always looking for more morsels of horror to get our spines tingling- have you seen any other tidbits on DC HORROR around the 'net? Be sure to share them in the comments below! :ghost:

Are you a Horror Hound, but haven’t officially gone through the door of the #House-of-Horror-Club? Be sure to join today for custom digital wallpapers and weekly curated selections of the best DC horror around!

15 Likes

Very, very cool.

NICE HOUSE ON THE LAKE.

Very nice. :relaxed:

And THE CONJURING: THE LOVER I wouldn’t normally have much interest in, but since it’s going to be a prelude to The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

Then I’ll give it a go.

I love corporate synergy. It makes me feel all tingly inside.

Hooray, corporate synergy. :relaxed:

5 Likes

I’m ready for all of this. More horror please!

8 Likes

I am all about movie tie-ins for comics and video games alike. That doesn’t mean they all are very good or at all. However, the preview page for The Conjuring comic is breathtaking and I NEED more!

You know, this has become a mantra that the House of Horror has had since its inception and it looks like DC is delivering big!

6 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ

I am all about movie tie-ins for comics and video games alike. That doesn’t mean they all are very good or at all. However, the preview page for The Conjuring comic is breathtaking and I NEED more!

Right.

And yeah, very rarely are tie-ins done well. Most of the time they’re just afterthoughts.

With THE CONJURING: THE LOVER, in this instance the writer of the screenplay of the movie is also co-writing the tie-in comic, so that’s what’s cool about this to me.

This feels like a different level of commitment.

And given the timing of the release of the comic, the same day as the movie…

The debut issue of The Conjuring: The Lover arrives in comic book stores and on participating digital platforms the same day as the U.S. release of The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It —Tuesday, June 4, 2021, with issue #2 available on July 2, 2021. Each 22-page issue sells for $3.99, with the card stock variant available for $4.99.

Yeah, they seem kind of serious about it.

And yep, love that corporate synergy. :relaxed:

3 Likes

I second this, more sources of DC horror books please.

5 Likes

Lets talk about these Nice House on the Lake variants.

Comic Kingdom of Canada – exclusive variant cover by Carla Cohen

State of Comics — exclusive variant cover by Richard Luong

Things From Another World — exclusive variant cover by Francesco Francavilla

The 616 Comics — exclusive variant cover by Megan Hutchison-Cates

Comic Madness — exclusive variant cover by David Romero

Comics Elite — exclusive variant cover by John Giang

Frankies Comics — exclusive variant cover by Ken Lashley and Chris Sotomayor

Sanctum Sanctorum Comics — exclusive variant cover by Robert Hack

Third Eye Comics and Tiny Onion Studios — exclusive variant cover by Álvaro Martínez Bueno

Wanted Comics — exclusive variant cover by John Gallagher

Which variant is your favorite?

• Carla Cohen
  • Richard Luong
  • Francesco Francavilla
  • Megan Hutchison-Cates
  • David Romero
  • John Giang
  • Ken Lashley and Chris Sotomayor
  • Robert Hack
  • Álvaro Martínez Bueno
  • John Gallagher

0 voters

3 Likes

There were so many good ones ugh I had such a tough time figuring out my top 3!

5 Likes

The Conjuring: The Lover also has some excellent variants!

However, I think this one is my favorite comic cover of the entire year!

There is something about video store nostalgia that screams to me. Also, that shower of blood, count me in! I love seeing that kind of stuff in my horror entertainment.

This is a great problem to have! In the words of the great Devo, “Freedom of choice is what you got.”

4 Likes

Cannot wait for The Conjuring: The Lover. And The Devil Made Me Do It on June 4th.

This has truly been one of my favorite horror series of all time, and that’s hard for me to say because I’m a Universal Classic Monsters fan through and through. Warner Brothers has really stepped up their horror game since the original came out.

4 Likes

I ended up deciding between David Romero, Ken Lashley and Chris Sotomayor, and John Gallagher. I settled on the Ken Lashley and Chris Sotomayor cover since it seems to join all the many components of the story between the creep with the house, the final girl and bodies, lots of bodies. The composition really appealed to me.

2 Likes

I am a total sucker for horror VHS art.

4 Likes

Random question, but have you ever been to Cinema Wasteland? It is a horror/b-movie convention in your neck of the woods.

2 Likes

I have not heard of it but I have been tempted to go to Big Chuck and lil’ John Ghoulardifest.

3 Likes

I haven’t been to that one which is kind of weird. I haven’t missed a Wasteland in about 4 or 5 years then the shutdown happened and well…

It is the only place I know of where you can have your friend hold your beer so you can get a picture taken with an 80s scream queen, in my case Brinke Stevens.

4 Likes

I’m late to the Conjuring stories but I was incredibly impressed by the first movie and plan on getting up to date by the time “Devil Made Me Do It” comes out.

I love the premise of the room filled with haunted items. Dolls creep me out and can’t wait to see Annabelle.

The classic universal movies are incredible!

4 Likes

Make sure to watch the YouTube short, I think it was called The Nurse. There was a contest and that short film was the winner. It is only a few minutes long but it definitely scratched that horror itch!

4 Likes

I can’t believe I haven’t heard of this convention Sounds like kind of a big deal if they have an actress from Slumber Party Massacre.

3 Likes

They also had Linnea Quigley and David DeCoteau. He was the nicest guy ever. I forget what movie they were “reuniting” for that one. They have also had the remaining cast of Night of the Living Dead.

I also have been known to drop like $300 on crappy horror flicks. Some of which I still need to sit down and watch.

To get things back on the rails, the artwork in The Conjuring: The Lover looks amazing. This is a huge step from the 70s horror comics, not that those have bad art, but the imagery is more decidedly sinister.

4 Likes

David Romero’s 100%!

3 Likes