🎄 House of Horror 9 - Happy Holidays! 🎄 (December 17 - December 30)

Happy holidays to everyone in House of Horror! We have 5 normal sized books for this entry. First up is Swamp Thing 115 (1985). I have recently discovered Swamp Thing outside of the movies and the few comics I have read years ago. If Swamp Thing Winter Special 1 is any indication of how good Swamp Thing can be I am excited about this issue.

We are going to return to The Spectre in the 1992 series with issue 26. After reading that Spectre Thanksgiving book, I can’t wait to see the holiday shenanigans in this issue.

Do you dare enter House of Mystery 191? We have read many books in this series and honestly, the results are mixed to great to meh. 2021 will see a greater assortment but it seemed fitting to close 2020 with House of Mystery.

However, we are going to continue House of Mystery from 2008. We are in a new story arc with issues 11 and 12.

Books to Read
Swamp Thing 115 (1985) (rated 17+)

The Spectre 26 (1992) (rated 12+)

House of Mystery 191 (1951) (rated 12+)

House of Mystery 11 (2008) (rated 17+)

House of Mystery 12 (2008) (rated 17+)

If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here!
If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here !

There are a few new horror comics hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Released 12/22

2 Likes

I am especially excited for the Swamp Thing issue.

2 Likes

I am too! I have read a few Swamp Thing books over the past week and have enjoyed all of them.

2 Likes

I could be wrong but Swamp Thing 115 is part of a bigger story, at least it felt that way. I did enjoy the book and the art was excellent and often psychedelic. The story of Papa Noel was also a lot of fun. While it was short, it did feature Papa Noel with his 8 alligators!

Ranging from John Constantine’s snarkiness and Abby’s willingness to intervene in the ongoings this story had everything I was looking for. There was a Lovecraftian creature with tentacles that looked great. However, the real star of the book was…

2 Likes

The Swamp Thing story occurs as Nancy Collins is in full Southern Gothic mode with a bayou haunted by pirates looking for revenge. The backup Christmas story is a nice bit of Cajun holiday fun.
Now. I’m really surprised to say that the most truly touching religiously/spiritually relevant Christmas read this year is in an issue of the Spectre. The hand of vengeance in a story about the day of a new hope, yep and it really works. Love how the Father puts the Spectre in his place

2 Likes

I have done a lot of looking for Christmas themed books that would also fall under the “banner” of horror. There are not as many as one would think. haha I was actually trying to find another book that is on DCU at this time. I don’t even remember what it was but I think it might have been another Spectre book.

I am planning on reading The Spectre within the next day or so. They put me back on a 6 day work schedule but after Tuesday I am off for 3 days!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone in @HouseofHorror !

I hope everyone here has been good this year and doesn’t get a visit from Krampus!

I am looking forward to 2021 and the transition to DC Universe Infinite. I want to thank everyone that has participated in House of Horror over the past few months. I am still getting used to the format of this club but I think we are going in the right direction. I want to thank @Razzzcat (Harley’s Crew) and @JasonTodd428 (Renegade Robins) both for being so accommodating and amazing with our club crossovers.

I do want to prepare everyone with a quick schedule change for January 2021. We are going to have new books posted on 12/31 as originally scheduled and then on 1/14 I will post 2-3 books and then on 1/21 I will be posting new books to celebrate DC Universe Infinite! So basically, we will have a one week cycle and then we will be diving into the new library of Infinite!!

5 Likes

Thanks @D4RK5TARZ and I can’t wait to dive into the new offerings on Infinite myself. I’m looking forward to seeing what you have planned for 2021.

Hope you have a Happy Christmas.

3 Likes

Happy new year!

1 Like

Happy New Year!!!

I am catching up with the books I haven’t read.

House of Mystery 11! The revelation in this book is huge for this storyline! The story told by Peter was okay but I really didn’t care too much about it. On the other hand, Rina and Harry! House of Mystery 12 reveals even more secrets! There is a lot happening in these 2 books and they might be my favorite books in the series so far.