Knight Terrors

Hey there, everybody! The :dc: Knight Terrors event has started to arrive in our DCUI Library, and you’re all cordially invited to join us for a discussion!

Details below…

:skull: When Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman find the body of one of their earliest enemies inside the Hall of Justice, their investigation takes them past the land of the living, beyond the land of the dead, and directly to a new villain called Insomnia, who uses his powers to engulf every single hero and villain in their own dark and twisted nightmares. The only way to save the world is to call for the help of an unlikely hero—Deadman!

:boom: READING ORDER:

(The complete list can be found :arrow_right: HERE along w/ the list of :magic_wand:Early Access issues for all subscribers. Links to the newest available issues will be updated :point_down: HERE as they arrive in the DCUI Library.)

8/1/23:

8/8/23:

8/15/23:

8/22/23:

8/29/23:

9/5/23:

9/12/23:

9/19/23:

9/26/23:

:skull: Reading begins: NOW!

:skull: Discussion: Please try to blur any spoilers if you read ahead on your own, but feel free to discuss whenever you’re ready! Which issues are your favorites? What did you think of the dialogue, plot or artwork? What did you enjoy or what did you not? Anything about the reading you’d like to discuss—Drop your thoughts below!

You can join or learn more about :house_of_horror: House of Horror, :harleys_crew: Harley’s Crew, :oodc: Obscurity of DC Club, :00_superman: Modern Age Superman Club, :wondersquadron1: Wonder Squad, :00_teen_titans: Titans Together HERE.

26 Likes

:dc: COMPLETE list of titles:

Summary
  1. Dawn of DC: Knight Terrors Free Comic Book Day Special #1
  2. Knight Terrors: First Blood #1
  3. Knight Terrors: Batman #1
  4. Knight Terrors: Ravager #1
  5. Knight Terrors: The Joker #1
  6. Knight Terrors: Poison Ivy #1
  7. Knight Terrors: Black Adam #1
  8. Knight Terrors #1
  9. Knight Terrors: Robin #1
  10. Knight Terrors: The Flash #1
  11. Knight Terrors: Zatanna #1
  12. Knight Terrors: Shazam #1
  13. Knight Terrors: Green Lantern #1
  14. Knight Terrors: Wonder Woman #1
  15. Knight Terrors: Superman #1
  16. Knight Terrors: Nightwing #1
  17. Knight Terrors: Catwoman #1
  18. Knight Terrors: Punchline #1
  19. Knight Terrors #2
  20. Knight Terrors: Titans #1
  21. Knight Terrors: Action Comics #1
  22. Knight Terrors: Detective Comics #1
  23. Knight Terrors: Harley Quinn #1
  24. Knight Terrors: Angel Breaker #1
  25. Knight Terrors: Batman #2
  26. Knight Terrors: Ravager #2
  27. Knight Terrors: The Joker #2
  28. Knight Terrors: Poison Ivy #2
  29. Knight Terrors: Black Adam #2
  30. Knight Terrors #3
  31. Knight Terrors: Robin #2
  32. Knight Terrors: The Flash #2
  33. Knight Terrors: Shazam #2
  34. Knight Terrors: Green Lantern #2
  35. Knight Terrors: Wonder Woman #2
  36. Knight Terrors: Superman #2
  37. Knight Terrors: Nightwing #2
  38. Knight Terrors: Catwoman #2
  39. Knight Terrors: Punchline #2
  40. Knight Terrors: Titans #2
  41. Knight Terrors: Action Comics #2
  42. Knight Terrors: Detective Comics #2
  43. Knight Terrors: Harley Quinn #2
  44. Knight Terrors: Angel Breaker #2
  45. Batman: The Brave and the Bold #4
  46. Knight Terrors #4
  47. Knight Terrors: Zatanna #2
  48. Knight Terrors: Night’s End

:dc: :magic_wand: EARLY ACCESS Issues:

Summary

Week 1:
Dawn of DC: Knight Terrors Free Comic Book Day Special #1 - 8/1/2023
Knight Terrors: First Blood #1 - 8/1/2023

Week 2:
Knight Terrors: Black Adam #1 - 8/8/2023
Knight Terrors: Poison Ivy #1 - 8/9/2023
Knight Terrors: Ravager #1 - 8/10/2023
Knight Terrors: The Joker #1 - 8/11/2023
Knight Terrors #1 - 8/12/2023
Knight Terrors: Green Lantern #1 - 8/13/2023
Knight Terrors: Robin #1 - 8/14/2023

Week 3:
Knight Terrors: Shazam! #1 - 8/15/2023
Knight Terrors: The Flash #1 - 8/16/2023
Knight Terrors: Zatanna #1 - 8/17/2023
Knight Terrors: Superman #1 - 8/18/2023
Knight Terrors: Catwoman #1|l - 8/19/2023
Knight Terrors: Nightwing #1 - 8/20/2023
Knight Terrors: Punchline #1 - 8/21/2023

Week 4:
Knight Terrors: Wonder Woman #1 - 8/22/2023
Knight Terrors #2 - 8/23/2023
Knight Terrors: Action Comics #1 - 8/24/2023
Knight Terrors: Angel Breaker #1 - 8/25/2023
Knight Terrors: Detective Comics #1 - 8/26/2023
Knight Terrors: Harley Quinn #1 - 8/27/2023
Knight Terrors: Titans #1 - 8/28/2023

Week 5:
Knight Terrors: Batman #2 - 8/29/2023
Knight Terrors: Black Adam #2 - 8/30/2023
Knight Terrors: The Joker #2 - 9/2/2023
Knight Terrors: Poison Ivy #2 - 8/31/2023
Knight Terrors: Ravager #2 - 9/1/2023
DC Connect #36
DC Connect #37

:dc: Official event checklist/Reading order:

:skull: League of Comic Geeks: Knight Terrors Reading Order

20 Likes

:skull: Other Community Events:

:house_of_horror: Horror Invades the DC Universe

https://www.dc.com/blog/2023/08/08/dream-weaver-joshua-williamson-talks-all-things-knight-terrors

16 Likes

:star_struck: Now plz enjoy a few variants…

23 Likes

I’m in for…

• Knight Terrors (duh :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
  • The Superman-related tie-ins.
  • The Angel Breaker, Green Lantern, Ravager, Shazam!, Titans, Wonder Woman and Zatanna-related tie-ins.
11 Likes

After reading the first couple of issues, I’m in for it all. @Razzzcat, that variant of Wonder Woman freaks me out a little! But thanks for doing this, it’s easier to find all the issues.

15 Likes

I’ve been reading the regular series, but been waiting on DCUI for the tie-ins, and the ones I have read have been pretty interesting so far. :smiley:

13 Likes

just read the batman one the art is great I hope we get an omnibus of it

11 Likes

Ooh that would be so cool!

10 Likes

I no its such a fun read I see me reading it again and again as an omnibus

10 Likes

The omnibus will be a must buy for me.

I just got done reading Shazam! and loved it. That’s been my favorite so far (have read all on here other than Zatanna, that’s next). Shazam! felt the most like a nightmare to me and the way it was drawn and the pace of the story was excellent. No surprise that a @MarkWaid book is excellent but it was so I gotta call it like I see it!

I’m very much enjoying the event so far and events like this are why DCUI Ultra is the best. I can wait to read it on here but it still feels current because it is - it’s literally still being released in shops and online. Overall this has felt like a lot of table setting and I’m hoping that as we get into the second issues we start seeing some payoffs. But so far, so good.

Edit: just finished Zatanna so I’m caught up through two weeks. Still love it! Zatanna’s book was great because she’s still awake and it’s nice to see the story from the land of the lucid. Her teamup with Robotman was not unexpected since they teased it so much but was still fun to see and I had forgotten about her past with the Doom Patrol that made her dislike them. With Cliff now Rustbringer it sets up a very interesting second story. Good cliffhanger for that one to end week two.

15 Likes

Agreed, especially the art. Guillem March is possibly best known for his pin-up work for books like Gotham City Sirens and Catwoman, and while he’s great at that, I think he’s at his best when he’s working in horror.

Also, it’s been brought to my attention that the monster that comes out of Bruce in that issue feels like a nod or tribute to the Gun Devil in the manga Chainsaw Man.

Definitely – a lot of dream logic that to our rational minds doesn’t make sense but we just go along with in our dreams, like the impossibly long taxi that has a thin pool of water at the bottom, so we have to take our shoes off.

16 Likes

Freaky. I LOVE IT!

9 Likes

The regular series is pedestrian. And the only tie-ins I purchased were the ones written by Jeremy Adams and Mark Waid.
And here’s the big question: Why interrupt a new initiative–Dawn Of DC–with yet another “event” when the new books have barely gotten off the ground, and found an audience? Seems counterproductive to me?

9 Likes

The timing is definitely problematic for momentum. Some titles have just launched and now have to pause (Green Lantern, City Boy), others were launched during this event and got completely lost in the shuffle (Hawkgirl) and others were launched just before this event and continue through it without falling asleep or being involved (WILDC.A.T.S, Steelworks, Batman Incorporated, Spirit World).

It’s a part of comics that drives me crazy - never really knowing what is part of the current comics universe and what is elseworld and never knowing the timeline things are happening on.

13 Likes

I did like how some books have been able to pull it off, though. Green Lantern I think was a good example, where it not only transferred effortlessly into Knight Terrors, but used the circumstances of the story to continue plot lines like what happened to cause Hal to quit the Corps.

11 Likes

just read the joker one how fun

8 Likes

the ivey one was good to what great event

10 Likes

just read green lantern it was okay

7 Likes

Week three is in the books and here’s what I thought of this weeks books:

Catwoman - I am not familiar with her sister at all so that story didn’t work for me one bit. I had a hard time getting into this story, the artwork was so odd that it took me out of it in some panels/pages and overall I didn’t care for this one much at all.

Nightwing - Loved it. The art, the story, the pace, the tone - loved it all. This was fantastic and is an example of Knight Terrors at its best. Second best book thus far, IMO.

Punchline - Took a bit but once it got going I liked it a lot. The version of Batgirl in this is outstandingly drawn. Beautiful artwork and details. Wasn’t expecting to enjoy this as much as I did.

Superman - This was very good and well done. Tough to come up with a nightmare for Superman that hasn’t already been done but this felt unique, familiar and authentic. Joshua Williamson is on a roll!

Wonder Woman - The art in this one was spectacular, especially the first panel. Beautifully drawn! I was curious about the other two characters in there, though - is this Diana’s nightmare so that’s not really them or is this the nightmare of all three of them? The backstory I enjoyed as well though I am not familiar with Nubia nearly as much as I am Diana so it didn’t grab me very well.

10 Likes