Wonder Woman: Dead Earth | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead!

:wondersquadron1: BOOKS 1-4:
Daniel Warren Johnson brings bold sci-fi chops to his DC debut with a harrowing vision of Wonder Woman unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Princess Diana of Themyscira left paradise to save Man’s World from itself. When Wonder Woman awakens from a centuries-long sleep to discover the Earth reduced to a nuclear wasteland, she knows she failed. Trapped alone in a grim future, Diana must protect the last human city from titanic monsters while uncovering its secret of this dead Earth—and how she may be responsible for it.

:boom: Available in our library w/ DCU Ultra:

:open_book: If you’ve read it (or plan to) and wish to discuss, drop your thoughts below when you’re ready!

You can join or learn more about :wondersquadron2: The Wonder Squad HERE, or :that_black_label_life: That Black Label Life HERE.

19 Likes

Some variants from this series :purple_heart:

16 Likes

My favorite Wonder-Woman story ever!

Daniel Warren Johnson understood that what makes Wonder-Woman amazing as a character is not her strength or her physical appearance but rather her love and compassion for people even in a world devoid of it.

This DWJ quote from The Beat summarizes what makes Wonder-Woman as a character appealing is perfect.

One of the things I like about writing Diana is her willingness to put herself on the line. She has this loving character about her, which you don’t really see in Superman or Batman. Wonder Woman is not afraid to say “I love you.” I was also thinking if I couldn’t be harmed by any bullets and if some dude tried to hurt me or my family I could just easily take them out – but that’s kind of a privileged position to be in. So one of the things that I was trying to play with in Dead Earth is if you take those physical perfections away, does that change the mind of Wonder Woman at all?

It was also amazing how he incorporated Wonder-Woman bracelets as more than protection and actually harken back to her original comics themes of binding submission being Wonder-Woman “weakness.”

14 Likes

This book is soooo good!

12 Likes

Somehow I have Ultra.

10 Likes

I quite liked this book, though it didn’t quite stick the landing for me. I’m not a huge grim and gritty fan, but I appreciate how DWJ worked hard to make a Dark Knight Returns style setup, but make it work with Wonder Woman rather than copy and pasting Wonder Woman into a scenario for Batman. And I love the passion and detail and skill in his artwork.

9 Likes

I like how the art and story manage to be both beautiful and grotesque at the same time. There is also something so appealing to me about a Wonder Woman who is not there for her looks. It makes me feel closer to the character. Sometimes the art of Wonder Woman can distract from the story when it gets too much like a pinup, but in this case the way she is drawn just adds to the atmosphere and brings us what feels like a real genuine version of Diana. I love that.

I am not entirely sure that made as much sense in writing as it did in my head, but there it is and I hope it makes sense or that you can relate.

Post-apocalyptic has always been a genre close to my heart. I grew up loving Mad Max/Road Warrior (and many, many bad clone movies), so I loved this story all the more.

12 Likes

Read it, own it, love it, I only buy physical comics from my LCS, and this one was a winner for me, finding out she was fighting her sisters and killed a few, that was darkly funny for me, like seriously how messed up is that.

I need to re read this cause I think some where at the end W.W was basically like ya know what, humanity did this, it was humanity that let loose nukes on this planet, so, pft yall fend for yourself , deuces. ( that is me generalizing what I can remember ) in the end there was no big win for Wonder Woman, or humanity, just this dark, gritty, mess, that W.W was just going to have adapt to and live with to some degree.

I think though for the writers to label W.W as failing to protect the world, to not address why she didn’t take it upon herself to destroy all nuclear weapons and forbid their use, seems a bit unfair. If there was some acknowledgement that she did more to demand an end to nuclear weapons before the events that took place , that in turn for me would be like okay she tried, but really, humanity failed.

I love the black labels of DC, I see Black Labels as a chance for DC to not only take heros into dark places, but also to address more political and social issues that is happening in society, and how our heros work with their powers, tech, or financial resources to end any injustice in the real world.

Could you imagine Wonder Woman as a judge, using her lasso of truth to decide a criminals punishment… Or as a detective to figure out who did what, with a political debate if her lasso would be legal, I mean slap it on Lex Luthor one day and have him confess to stuff.

Seems like all superheros should have a lasso of truth, would make solving stuff easier, be like , okay what are the plans, where is so an so. Granted, would be way to easy, but still.

13 Likes

this is one of the books on my holiday reading list, I’m excited to finally read it!

12 Likes

Not a big fan of the art, but it definitely worked for the story. I liked Diana’s arc of learning what happened. I ended up plowing through the omnibus without realizing it.

11 Likes

I’m happy this finally showed up! I’ll be back.

13 Likes

I was apprehensive about this one, expecting a standard grimdark, nuclear wasteland comic. All in all that’s what I got, but I would recommend it for one simple reason - The element setting this story apart is Wonder Woman - makes the weight of her circumstances and the moral ambiguity more surprising and intriguing. The artwork was a perfect companion and it ended up having some great moments. When will she get another Black Label?

13 Likes

I mean, she’s had one in Historia for a while, though she’s not in that much.

6 Likes

An excellent book to be sure, but I meant a solo book.

9 Likes