[Lantern Corps] Green Lantern (2023) #2

Greetings @LanternCorps!

This series of posts is to discuss the latest issues of Green Lantern. This issue can be read here.

Feel free to use any, all, or none of the questions below as discussion starters.

1. What was your favorite part?
  2. Was anything surprising to see?
  3. How do you like this version of Kilowog?

Previous discussion can be found here

5 Likes

1 - I always like Hal and Carrol interacting. Their relationship has been far from smooth and even I debate whether or not they should be a couple. But you can still feel the chemistry.

2 - Not sure about surprised but I was amused by Hak being super spooky with those criminals. Kinda felt like a Scooby-Doo moment.

3 - I’m not a Green Kantern expert so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong…but I don’t think this is a new interpretation of Kilowag. He acted and felt like he normally was going back to the 2000s. So in short I liked his appearance

4 Likes
  1. What was your favorite part?

I think my favorite part was probably seeing Hal handle the crooks in the cemetary like his best frienemy the Batman would. :rofl:

1. Was anything surprising to see?

The scenes with Hal becoming a jet pilot at Ferris just to try to talk Carol into being his girlfriend again was very surprising. Not because of his capability of doing so – Hal definitely has enough himbo energy to pull that wacky crap off – but of how manipulative, domineering and creepy he was during it. Like, we know Hal is the hero and a good guy at heart, but if a lady friend or a sister or some one told you about one of her ex-boyfriends who was doing something like that, you’d be telling her to get a restraining order on the guy and maybe walking her home for a while.

I’m sure the book is trying to lead us back to the Hal and Carol relationship dynamic, but if they do that, I do hope that they make it absolutely clear that what Hal’s done here is not a good thing and he strives to be a better partner for Carol and tries to be there for her, and not just because he feels he has to have her. If this story ends with Carol falling for this ■■■■, it would be a MASSIVE disservice for this story, Carol as a character, and their relationship in general, IMO.

1. How do you like this version of Kilowog?

I mean, he’s solid enough – he says all the things you would expect him to say and all, and the idea of him on Earth dealing with Earth things, like his description of Mountain Dew, can be good potential for humor.

But I got a sneaking bad feeling about this.

The first issue has Hal talking to himself at his trailer, but voicing Kilowog during it, with Kilowog giving Hal that “dust off your boot straps” speech that Hal feels he needs. Now we see Hal at the trailer again, but we actually see Kilowog as they’re talking, and Kilowog is doing that inspiration thing again. We don’t see or hear about Kilowog doing anything else other than being at that trailer.

I get the feeling that whatever happened to quarantine Earth and for Hal to quit being part of the Corps, it had to do with Kilowog and him dying, and the Kilowog we’ve been seeing is either a voice in Hal’s head, and maybe the only reason we see him in the second issue is because he’s using his ring to create a Kilowog construct.

2 Likes

What was your favorite part?

The cemetery bit was definitely my favorite. Always great to see non-direct approaches to problem solving.

Was anything surprising to see?

Hal being a commercial pilot. Went from mailroom in the morning to flying a private jet in the afternoon. That’s some serious promotions.

How do you like this version of Kilowog?

Great design, great personality. Always great to see him outside of the drill sergeant role.

1 Like

That’s an intriguing theory you’ve got there. All we’ve really heard so far is about Hal leaving the Corps because the guardians died and the United Planets took over. The assumption would be that Kilowog left for the same reasons Hal did, but I like this idea.

1 Like

Yea…while I do like Hal and Carol together, Hal as a character needs some serious growth. One problem I have with the GL books always focusing on Hal is that they praise his courage and whatnot but completely ignore his very real flaws.

Also, they better NOT have killed Kilowog. Otherwise I’m going to start burying poozers

2 Likes