The Wild and Wacky DC Comics Covers of the 50's and 60's Fan Club Starts Here!!

I don’t believe I’ve seen that Showcase before … so I guess there was an actual comic called Tales of the Unexpected?

2 Likes

A reprint from today’s cover a day… because it actually says wacky on it… and hey, reprints are a part of comics!

And an alternate issue of the Hawk and the Dove–

4 Likes

Am I crazy, or does Aquagirl 1) no longer exist and 2) kinda look like Flo from the insurance commercials here?

3 Likes

Tula came back for the New 52, but I don’t think she’s been seen since Dan Abnett left the Rebirth Aquaman,

3 Likes

Another fun cover from the forgotten past!

Wacky or Genius? You decide!

3 Likes

THis turned out to be not the case. Kelly Sue DeConnick kept her around. One of the few things I loved so far about the run.

3 Likes

Oh how many comic series are you still buying paper?

3 Likes

Not a one, old friend. I’m down to Aquaman in digital, and I may be buying Endless Winter. After that-- I will wait and read here in six months. i even have a new reader.

Okay, I may break down on anything that says Titans, and I have not decided about the last few issues of Legion.

3 Likes

4 Likes

These lessons made Robin tougher.

4 Likes

What are your reading habits, young man?

2 Likes

Well here keeps me pretty busy, along with Comixology Unlimited and Marvel Unlimited, especially since Titan Comics is joined Comixology Unlimited. Beyond that, I buy 3 digital Comics a month: Metal Men, Legion and Injustice Year Zero.

Signed, your “old friend” hahahahaha

3 Likes

4 Likes

DC has this fabulous collection of Jimmy Olson transformation from Superman’s Pal and the Turtle Boy story appears in issue

53, from 1961. However, that story is collected in the Amazing Transformation book in a remastered format. Since it was remastered to be printed, I really wished DC would release those issues for digital sale or release them on the DCU Infinite site, but I am guessing the Kirby issues from this run didn’t sell that well?o

@Outside2Infinity DC has a nicely remastered Archive Edition that collects a number of those Silver Age stories, so includes the cover. Chip Kidd does things like collect the older covers, but DC hasn’t released something like that - other than for newer works, certainly nothing from the 1950s, 1960s that comes to mind, if someone wants to correct me.

And for everyone else here, never forget that Superman’s Girl Friend, Lois Lane has more issues in print and a longer run than any female hero from that other company AND that a Superman supporting cast member, not even a Kryptonian or fellow super, but just one of Superman’s co-workers from the Daily Planet, has a longer run in print, that frequently sold in the hundreds of thousands at it heights, than any other character, period!

6 Likes

World’s Finest - this is the textless cover from the 2020 Guardians of Earth story.

6 Likes

I actually own that fine hardcover!

4 Likes

I own the digital edition.

3 Likes

More wild and wacky DC Comics covers of the 50’s and 60’s have arrived the past few months on DC Universe Infinite:

Vote for the one you feel is the wildest and wackiest!

If you also want to actually peek inside these fine art exhibits, here’s the links to recent discussions on each issue:

2 Likes

So far a tie score!

3 Likes

Part 2 of more wild and wacky DC Comics covers of the 50’s and 60’s that have arrived the past few months on DC Universe Infinite, this time featuring Superboy and Bizarro World!

Vote for the one you feel is the wildest and wackiest!

Wildest / Wackiest of New Silver Age Superboy & Bizarros
  • Adventure 282 6  8
  • Adventure 283 50
  • Adventure 284 half
  • Adventure 286 7 8
  • Adventure 288 half
  • Adventure 289 half
0 voters

To join the discussion on each of these issues, just search by the tag event-of-year

4 Likes