For The Speed Force’s inaugural event, we’re traveling to scenic Hawai’i for a beach run:
That’s right; short and sweet, and maybe even barefoot! Any time between now and the end of the month, log yourself a 5k and tell us about it! Sign up here to get your printable bib, then when you have completed your 5k, report back right here! Then watch your inbox for some sweet finisher digital swag.
- To sign up: Just reply with an “I’m in” or similar.
Bike equivalent: 15 miles
How it worked
- You can walk, run, crawl, or leap from the salty depths with ferocious fervor. Whichever means of locomotion works best for you, right now. Just be safe out there in the “real world” and watch out for all the usual hazards; vehicles, animals, shady government agents with an penchant for inserting bombs inside people, and so forth.
- You don’t need to run on an actual beach. If you’ve got one handy (and like running on sand), go for it! Otherwise, just think beachy thoughts and you’re always on the beach in spirit.
- Don’t have a safe place to run, or the weather is not agreeing with your goals? No problem; log your miles on a treadmill.
- You can do the full 5k in one outing, or break it up in to several shorter runs or walks. Just keep track of your time and report back on each segment so the crowd can cheer you along!
- Using a GPS tracking app or device? Awesome! You can post a screenshot as your report, or type it in manually. Just please don’t post any GPS maps to maintain your location privacy with the Community.
- Optional Cosplay BONUS: Run in costume? Or are you an actual shark person? Share photos!
- Optional Creative Writing BONUS: Give us a race report of your course! Did you run the downtown Hilo route from Kulani Prison along Bayfront Park to the Kamehameha statue finish line, or one of the other options? Spot any surfers? Any black ops neo-military operations that seemed to be on some sort of suicide mission? Were there fireworks?
- Optional Fan Art BONUS: Didn’t get a selfie crossing the finish line? Maybe you can draw yourself, in all your patriotic beach run splendor, high fiving a fish? Embellishment encouraged.
Don't forget to grab some nom noms after the race!