The Speed Force

Injury prevention is how I got where I am. No longs, no speed work anymore, just steady moderate miles.

7 Likes

Nope, I live in New Hampshire and have a wife named after Carrie Nation, who used to take an axe to smash bars for the Temperance movement.

6 Likes

Hi! I never really liked running as a kid because “you dont have asthma you’re just lazy”, so it took a long time to get over this as an adult (with the help of my new bff, my inhaler)

I’m mostly a rock climber but I was bedridden for 2 months this year because of a surgery and I have a treadmill at home so I decided to give it a shot! I need to build my cardio back up because I get winded if i climb 2 flights of stairs so for now im mostly walking, but i want to build up to jogging and eventually running so i can go back to how i was a few years ago

8 Likes

Haha, that’s even better! My wife grew up in NH and we lived there in NH back in 2000-2005 - still have friends and family all up and down the Merrimack.

Oh, I know that feel! Welcome! Hope the club will help you get where you want to be! (And hooray for inhalers! My wife has exercise induced asthma - the day she got diagnosed and prescribed an inhaler was like being reborn!)

6 Likes

I have asthma also, since I was a wee lad. Growing up my Doctors told my parents to keep me indoors and not let me exercise, which probably just made it worse. When I started running I would wear a dust mask and that seemed to help, especially with cold-induced asthma. Over the years my lungs have gotten stronger and less reactive so now I don’t need an inhaler anymore!

5 Likes

Hi all!

Well, welcome to July. It’s great to have so many “day one” joiners, and I’m hoping we’ll pick up a few more. Just wanted to drop a few links to let you know what’s rolled out so far, and get some feedback on what else you’d like to see:

1. Our first event, Nanaue’s Independence Day 5k Beach Fun Run is live! Give a shout, log a run (or ride), get digital swag!
  2. I created a July Log wiki - share your workouts (if you want) independently of the casual chat threads (but feel free to chat, too!).
  3. Wallace Wants Love - the feedback thread would love some thoughts. Are these the types of things you want to see? More of something? Less of something? Primary pending questions I’d love feedback on:
    • As discussed in the anybody out there? thread @joesergi started a year ago, is there any interest in doing a formal DCUI team for the Justice League Virtual Run Series? (I’m working on the possibility of Community perks for participating, independent of if we form a team.
    • Does a “Track and Field” event during the Olympics hold any interest? Instead of logging longer workouts, log your best time in a series of shorter distances? See if you can hold your own against Allyson Felix OLY?
6 Likes

I already signed up for the Justice League series, but I’d be up for a team.

8 Likes

Same.

5 Likes

Since we are now a formalized club, I can certainly migrate over here. I’ve already registered also, but don’t mind joining the team. I’ve only been running consistently for about 3 years, and started late 30’s I really got into collecting medals last year during the lockdown and soo many virtual races started popping up. I’m looking forward to getting out and doing some live events.

7 Likes

Changed so I’ll get notifications. In FL for family visit. Ran yesterday and this morning, boy it’s been a while since I’ve run in anyplace this humid and hot.

6 Likes

I’m very into politics, so this sounded like an amateur authoritarian club to me :wink:

5 Likes

Little Mussolini junior club members

5 Likes

It looks like the group registration is really geared towards businesses sponsoring their employees to participate (i.e. as part of a health or charity initiative) rather than friends and social groups. We need a sponsoring group to pay 50% of the registration to set it up, which I don’t think we’ll be able to get DCUI to do, especially since the only folks to confirm so far have already registered. :frowning:

5 Likes

I have not run in 3 weeks, I’ve been away, my run buddy is M. I. A. I’m actually worried about him. But I digress, las Saturday I ran my first event in over a year…. Thanks 2020 :disappointed:

It was only a 5k but man 3 weeks off sure hurt my time and my body

Got a pretty cool shirt and medal though

6 Likes

The real reason people do races. :laughing:

But congrats on the run! And the shirt and medal!

5 Likes

Taking three weeks off before a race is just tapering harder than anyone else. :laughing:

5 Likes

That is a sweet logo! Nice job getting out there despite the break in running! Hope it was a fun race even if it wasn’t your best.

If you’re interested, please add it to the July Run Log. You can even double dip and count it as Nanaue’s Independence Day 5k Beach Fun Run if you want to register for some sweet downloads. (Not nearly as cool as the stopwatchermelon, but it’s good to have art goals as well as run goals.)

5 Likes

My running update is that I recently realized that many of the Doctor Who audio shows from Big Finish are available on Apple Music with my subscription. I’ve listed to 6 shows so far involving Doctors 5-8. Later they pull in more. I alternate running to a Doctor Who then to music. I’ve got a lot of Doctor Who miles ahead of me.

5 Likes

Oh, nice! Does it have the old ('66, '76, '85, '93, and '96) stories, or just the “modern” era (post 2003ish)? I’ll have to see if those are available on anything I subscribe to.

I used to be pretty in to building the “perfect” running playlist for every type of run, but since the clip broke on my MP3 player I’ve been getting lazier about it. (Maybe that’s what I need to motivate me?) Nowadays I usually hit something from SiriusXM streaming when I run outside (ideally LSUG if I get out early enough to catch Kelly’s show), or watch something on Disney+ (subtitled, so as not to wake the wifey) if I’m inside on the treadmill.

Do we need a run mix thread?

5 Likes

Actually, these are original audio stories that Big Finish began producing in the late 90s, starting with the actual actors for Doctors 5-7, they then added the 8th Doctor, and eventually got series with Matt Smith, David Tenent and more. They are still producing them, those on The Apple subscription go up to about 5 years ago. Maybe 100 in all between the different series. The company does some other properties too like Blake’s 7 and Dark Shadows

4 Likes