[World of Bats] Batman: Gotham Knights #1-6

Hello everyone, and welcome to the World of Bats, the Batman Book Club!

This week, we’ll be covering the first six issues of the title Batman: Gotham Knights, written by Devin Grayson, and drawn by Dale Eaglesham & Paul Ryan. These issues also have Batman: Black & White back-up stories from acclaimed creators such as Jim Lee, Paul Pope, Paul Levitz and Walter Simonson.

A horrifying crime attracts Batman’s attention and forces him to revisit the ghosts of his past as Oracle, Nightwing and Robin attempt to help him solve the mystery!

You can find a link to the series page HERE!

This reading discussion will be the current one from 2021-02-27T06:00:00Z2021-03-05T06:00:00Z, but as always, if you’re coming in at a later date you’re always welcome to share your thoughts on these issues!

I’m looking forward to talking with you all on the stories we’re reading!

For questions or concerns, contact @FridayMags or @Jay_Kay.

Click here to learn more about World of Bats.

Click here to join and get cool flair!

1 Like

Also, if you’re looking for more cool reading in the Bat Universe, check out these adjacent clubs below!

The Renegade Robins Group continue to cover the Robin War and it’s immediate aftermath in Batman & Robin Eternal. They are also continuing their trek through the Rebirth era of Red Hood & The Outlaws, as well as the New 52 run of Batman & Robin. (I believe both of those discussions will start at the beginning of the month, so I’ll link to those then.)

Meanwhile, Harley’s Crew is tackling the six-issue mini-series Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy!

The Birds of Prey Club is currently reading the not-quite-miniseries Batgirl: Year One!

The House of Horror club is covering, among other things, the Batman/Aliens crossover by Ron Marz and Berni Wrightson!

The New to DCU Club is covering, among other things, Detective Comics #1025, one of the tie-in issues to Joker War!

If any were missed, please let me know and I’ll put it up. It’s not a slight on your club, but a failing of my tired brain. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t know if I can quite put my finger on why, but I thought this week’s selection was just ok; not bad, but nowhere near my favorite. I feel like the stories mostly had good hooks (I especially thought the first issue where the son was the killer had a good premise, but something wasn’t quite right). Maybe the panels are too bright? Or maybe the way the stories were told was too detached and analytical?

The Batman Black and White shorts at the ends were the best part. I think the Riddler one is probably my favorite.

1 Like

I just read these issues for the first time as part of the Gotham Knights trade - and I’m very intrigued. Honestly, I understand why this run is “lesser” - Eaglesham’s art isn’t quite as good as it would get later, and Grayson is a very good writer, but when put up next to Rucka on New Gotham (Tec) and Brubaker on Batman, it’s more “supporting stories” rather than main event stuff. It’s still really good, and I really enjoyed seeing Cass, Babs, Bruce, and the rest of the family in this period.

1 Like