The Modern Age Superman Club Presents: Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, Sunday, September 5th at 2 PM Pacific/5 PM Eastern

The apocalypse from Apokolips is nigh, @ModernAgeSupermanClub!

Join us in this thread, this coming Sunday, September 5th at 2 PM Pacific/5 PM Eastern for Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, the animated adaptation of The Supergirl from Krypton from the Superman/Batman ongoing series.

What to know:

• We’ll start promptly at 2 PM Pacific/5 PM Eastern, this Sunday, September 5th in this thread. If you run late, Granny Goodness purposely burns the cookies in the oven and/or what not, don’t fear, as the apocalypse will be averted and we’ll get you where you need to be. :slight_smile:

• Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is available on physical home video formats, Digital HD, Digital 4K and streaming on HBO Max. However you choose to watch the movie, have it ready to go at the above-listed start time.

That’s all there is to it! Grab your Mother Box and get ready for the animated epic of the best Superman/Batman arc/story there ever was!

I’ll see you in this thread, this Sunday! :superman: :batman: :0_supergirl:

4 Likes

Woohoo! I love this movie! Kara is fantastic in this story!

3 Likes

Up top! :raised_hands:t2:

I think I’ve told you before, but I absolutely love this movie. It’s my favorite DTV DC movie, the best of the Superman/Batman Duology and its art style perfectly encapsulates Michael Turner’s art from the source material.

What’s your favorite scene?

3 Likes

Thank you for honoring the great Ed Asner here. I really hate that I can’t make it to the watches, but I truly hope you have a great turnout. As I said before, I have teared up so many times over his passing. Been watching his stuff all week, including watching Up for the first time. As I said in my podcast The X-Files “How The Ghosts Stole Christmas” will have a new meaning every year that I watch it. I honestly think I will be watching a lot of his stuff for quite a while. Of everything I have watched though, I would most highly suggest the finale of The Mary Tyler Moore Show if you can watch it. One of the all time great TV finales and guaranteed to make you tear up…

1 Like

I have to pick?!?! You monster! :stuck_out_tongue: If I had to pick one scene out of the entire move that I like the most, it’s when Kara is dodging the Omega beams and she flips Darkseid over her and he gets hit! So badass!

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile: I’ve got Mr. Asner covered, both here and in the next Saturday Morning WAL.

I kind of want to re-watch Freakazoid, as Cosgrove was one of my favorite characters on the show.

Cosgrove: “Hey Freakazoid, you wanna go to the petting zoo?”

Freakazoid: “Do I!”

I didn’t know he was on The X-Files. I’ll have to check that episode out.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show is great, especially the finale.

I’ve contemplated a classic TV sitcoms WAL thread in the Iceberg Lounge, and if it happened, I’d definitely see that 'Mar gets a good amount of the spotlight.

1 Like

Ooh, that’s a good 'un!

My favorite scene is Wonder Woman and Big Barda against the Female Furies.

The animation is beautiful and slick, while the action and music unite to create a scene of pure, unadulterated, animated badass, joy.

1 Like

Oh yea those fight scenes are epic! Everyone get’s their moment to shine in that movie! Very well thought out, granted they had fantastic source material…

1 Like

I’m sorely tempted to re-read Superman/Batman’s 8-13, but I mustn’t!

For…I have a thick stack of books in front of me (along with oodles of digital stuff) that require my attention, more-so.

Help me avoid the re-read for now, @Bar-El. You’re my only hope!

1 Like

Oh I’m not going to be helpful…I’m eyeing my omnibus right now…it’s brand new and I’m going to wear it out.

1 Like

You know what, **** it. I’ll let the Superman/Batman black hole swallow me, once more! :grin:

says “Wheee!” as he descends into the black hole of fun that is Superman/Batman

1 Like

The problem is you can’t read just one storyline, I can never stop myself and before you know it I’m on issue 87, again…

1 Like

Loeb’s run is my favorite of the series, especially the Public Enemies and TSGFK arcs.

The Enemies Among Us was pretty good (that’s Verheiden, yeah?), as was the arc with the Metal Men and The Search for Kryptonite (naturally).

I wasn’t too big on Sorcerer Kings when it came out. Maybe that should be my next S/B re-read?

1 Like

Yep! Such a great story! That was my introduction to the Metal Men!

Me too, partly because it was so different from all the other arcs that I was caught off guard and struggled to accept it and figure out what in the heck was going on!

The entire Vengeance arc is amazing too. And I think the first Annual? Where the Ultraman universe breaks in on the boat. So great!

1 Like

Annual #1 was great, especially the character that’s clearly a Deadpool spoof, whom several characters tell to repeatedly “Shut up!” :joy:

With a Vengeance was grand, too. Loeb and McGuinness can do no wrong, in my four eyes.

Speaking of, have you read their run on Superman v2?

1 Like

Well he totally is because Rob Liefeld loved the Teen Titans and when he pitched Deadpool to his co-creator Fabian Nicieza, Nicieza was like “dude this is just Deathstroke!” Lmao and they basically made him different enough to laugh at the fact that he was basically a copycat. It’s great!

Possibly yes, possibly no…is that Emperor Joker?

1 Like

You know your stuff. I salute you!

salutes in a gentlemanly Kryptonian fashion

Speaking of Teen Titans and Liefeld, have you read the two-parter by him and Gail Simone, from the '03-'11 series? I believe it’s #'s 26 and 27.

Loeb and McGuinness’s run on Superman begins at #154 and concludes at #177 (there’s issues where other artists fill in for McGuinness, but their run is within that range), wherein parts of Emperor Joker take place.

1 Like

I have not but I will add them to my reading list right now!

1 Like

The Simone/Liefeld Teen Titans two-parter is fun.

Granted, I like Liefeld more than most. Sure, his art can be wonky at times, but it still beats my drawing skills, so who am I to act like I’m an art critic?

Speaking of Liefeld, have you read the New 52 volume of Hawk and Dove?

If you liked Loeb/McG on S/B, you’ll love their run on Superman (which preceded their S/B output). As I said, that duo does no wrong.

1 Like

I’m so excited for tomorrow!!

1 Like