:renegade_robins: Robin Rises Event Part Two: May 2021 :renegade_robins:

Hello again members of the Damian Wayne branch of the @RenegadeRobinsClub and welcome to the second session of the Robin Rises Event.

This months session will deal with the aftermath of the events shown in Batman, Inc volume 2. How does Batman (and by extension the rest of the Bat Family) deal with the loss of one of their own? What is going through Batman’s mind as he attempts to restore his son back to life? To what lengths will be go in order to see that become a reality? All these questions and more will be answered so lets get going!

Remember to join RENEGADE ROBINS hit the link!

WHAT TO READ

REQUIEM

* Batman & Robin #18-23

TIE INS

* Batgirl #18
* Red Hood and the Outlaws #18
* Worlds’ Finest #10 (You may also want to read Worlds’ Finest #6-7 as background on Damian’s encounter with Helena Wayne of Earth 2)
* Nightwing #18
* Teen Titans #18
* Batman #18

THE HUNT FOR ROBIN

* Batman & Robin 29-32

As with the previous session I will be posting discussion questions every week on Sundays starting with May 2. Feel free to chime in as well.

And that’s all for this session. Tune in next month when we.conclude this event

4 Likes

First question for the month.

Bruce seems to be acting even worse than he did when Jason was killed. Do you think his actions are going just a little to far or do they seem justified to you?

For myself I think Bruce went off the deep end here and took things way to far. He may have felt justified in taking the actions he did but I don’t think he was personally.

1 Like

Oh, yes, it’s too far. The Requiem arc is just downright ridiculous. Abducting a superhero and pulling him apart just to reverse-engineer his creation? Ghastly. Tricking Jason into going to the site of his own death? Abhorrent. Running a VR simulation and reliving the trauma over and over again? Gross. What was Tomasi thinking?

And while I’m griping, why did the story set up Carrie Kelley and then do nothing with her?!

Pretty much all of it was pretty gross and extremely over the top IMHO. To be honest this is exactly when I dropped Batman and Robin for good. I held out until #20 and after what Bruce did to Jason in that issue I was out. This reading was the first time I’ve actually managed to get through it.

I’m trying to remember what was said at the time. Wasn’t something to do with that Miller didn’t want her used? Honestly whatever the reason I was disappointed when she vanished because I was actually enjoying her character.

If I had a dollar for all the times that’s happened…

1 Like

Considering that Carrie Kelley is my favorite character from DKR (shock of shocks: I favor the Robin in the story! :stuck_out_tongue: ), it’s really frustrating. Like, clear that stuff with Miller beforehand or don’t use her at all, right?

1 Like

Mine too. I’ve always liked the idea of a female Robin, which is why I thought it was cool both with regard to Carrie and when Stephanie Brown was briefly Robin. I still would love to see one even now.

A lot of problems could be solved if writers would just ask creators if they can use their characters me thinks.

I really did want to see what they had planned n for her.

1 Like

We should make some sort of club to celebrate these Robins. :stuck_out_tongue:

:thinking:

Wonder what that would be called… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And here’s the next question @RenegadeRobinsClub:

What did you think of the Requiem tie in issues and which was your favorite?

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the Batgirl issue, even if the Requiem tie-in wasn’t the main focus. As much as I complain about Scott Snyder’s New 52 Batman run, I really enjoyed his pre-Flashpoint 'Tec run, and any stories that pick up on those threads have my interest.

1 Like

I think my favorite was Worlds’ Finest issue not because the surrounding story had anything to do with Damian but I felt Helena’s reaction to her “not-brother’s” death was extremely powerful in the context of her own life up to that point. Here was someone she had let her guard down around and had let into her heart and now he’s been ripped away from her just as her own parents were.

1 Like

I feel the same way. Snyder’s Pre-FP 'Tec run was one of my favorites and I enjoyed it enough to first try and then stick with his N52 Batman run for a little while. I stuck with it for a much longer time than Tomasi’s Batman & Robin even. I think I dropped out mid-Zero Year if memory serves.

You know I’ve re-read his 'Tec run several times but outside of the Court of Owls I don’t believe I’ve gone back to his Batman run all that often.

1 Like

And here are the next set of questions @RenegadeRobinsClub.

1. Seems as if Bruce was able to accept Damian’s death but Ra’s wasn’t. Do you think Ra’s is as unhinged by the death of both Talia and Damian as Bruce seemed to be during Requiem or do you think this is merely 'business as usual" for him?

2. In these issues we see Bruce working with several other characters. Which team up did you enjoy the most?

2 Likes

Two-Face!

Oh, wait: we skipped those issues, didn’t we? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There were issues were Bats and Two-Face worked together? Who’d a thought. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

And here’s the final set of questions @RenegadeRobinsClub.

1. Frankie is certainly and justifiably angry at Batman here. How would you have reacted of you had gone through what he did at Batman’s hands?

2. Here is a couple of my favorite panels. Do you have any?

1. What did you think of the battle between Batman and Ra’s?
4 Likes