OFFICE HOURS VOL II: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Gasp!

Have you seen Mermaids?

8 Likes

Gasp!

No. After Iā€™ve seen 4-5 movies where I get a performance like that from an actor/actress, I just avoid their stuff. Call me crazy.

6 Likes

Iā€™m that way with Cameron Diaz. I liked her in The Mask, the first two Shreks andā€¦thatā€™s about all.

Most of the time, she plays the same character and when she doesnā€™t, she tries way too hard. I give her credit for trying, of course, but the landing hasnā€™t been stuck all that often.

7 Likes

This is cool!!!

7 Likes

Iā€™m telling you, sheā€™s phenomenal as Evitaā€¦

6 Likes

Hey there Applejack! :wave: :sunglasses:

Hope that you have had a nice week. :clark_hv_4:

Now for the business matter for the weekā€¦ Or, perhaps it would be more of a guide. :thinking: :face_with_monocle:

Recently, Iā€™ve been looking into the many, many fun clubs offered by our vast universe since as we get closer to DCUI perhaps membership for 'ole ajm08g among others as well may happenā€¦ :smiley:

(Still have to see schedule-wise how that might play out, but fun to know anyone can always drop into a conversation with said clubs at any time and could possibly join as many clubs as desired. :sunglasses: :+1:)

So here is what I was thinking might be helpful for those that might also be thinking along this path. :thinking: (Also links permitting as we transition to DCUI :sweat_smile:)

Possible Guide For Fan Clubs
  1. Where are all these Clubs? Located here. :point_down:
    Complete List of DC Community Clubs + Links
  2. Looking for a list where each club had their club introductions, look here. :point_down:
    Club Rooms - DC Community
  3. Checking out the latest from each of our clubs can be found here. :point_down:
    Fan Club Discussions - DC Community
  4. How to join a club after looking at 1-3 can be found here. :point_down:
    How To Join A Club
  5. Enjoy! :superman_hv_4:

Oh, I guess itā€™s also worth noting that it can be helpful to check our Community Events Highlights for the weeks as well. :smile:

And they usually are found in posts like this one (as seen from last weekā€™s perspective). :point_down:

What do you think? :superman_hv_3:

9 Likes

Oh, hello again Applejack. :wave: :sunglasses:

Just took a look at our post counter and we are over 2000 posts in Vol. 2 now!
:tada: :partying_face: :tada:

And you know what that meansā€¦ :grin:

Ohā€¦ How did you get out of your Pokeball again. No matter, carrying on nowā€¦ :rofl:

Another round of Office Hour Trivia! :star_struck:

So in this editionā€¦ Possible spoilers again @DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder! :smile:

What to do with all the leftover Thanksgiving meal food again. :yum: :drooling_face:

:joy:
OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

8 Likes

:rofl: I love this!!! :rofl:

7 Likes

Hi @Applejack,

Do you think pizza should be an official Thanksgiving meal? :pizza:

Most recently, what song have you been singing along to a lot? :microphone:

How do you feel about ā€œThe Typerā€ becoming an official DCU/DCUI community dance? :dancer::man_dancing:

I know, there is a lot of randomness going on in this post!!! :rofl:

Also, just in case I forget to say thisā€¦Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of my DCU/DCUI community family, the holidays wouldnā€™t be the same without yā€™all!!! :turkey:

9 Likes

@Vroom
A. Agree
2. :wink: Agree! We like the new things!
Last, have you read any of the newer Tank Girl? @Mae? Anyone? :eyes:

*Bueller?*

I should really add more of them to the Mach 2 variant thread. Anyway. Never seen the whole movie. :speak_no_evil: Great soundtrackā€”I know Courtney Love did it.
Nowā€¦while Iā€™m hereā€¦

Captain @Applejack!
Iā€™d like to have a fireside hang out before all the videos leave. Yea or nay? Are you going to do one? Also, issued a music challenge this week. Weā€™re reading Cycle of Life and Death, what song would you add for Ivy or Selinaā€”dealers choice! This oneā€™s not my pick, just whats on. Enjoy! And hereā€™s your kitten! :black_heart:

11 Likes

Again: POINTS for @AlexanderKnox.

8 Likes

@MovieAddict I agree Madonna is unfairly judged as an actor. Script choice and directors matter. Evita was :ok_hand: fantastic. A League of Their Own tooā€¦and she was pretty damn funny in Whos That Girl? :woman_shrugging:t2: IMO.

Gotta say: @DeSade-acolyte I think youā€™re being a bit unfair to Cher and too lenient on David Bowie. In both cases, script choice matters. Itā€™s case by case. Doesnā€™t represent their talent, just their sometimes poor (or good) judgement. Otherwise, might as well say Oprah wasnā€™t any good in The Color Purple just because people didnā€™t like A Wrinkle in Time. :100: agree awards mean ZERO, tho. How ya been, btw? Been a min. :purple_heart: Hope youā€™re well.

10 Likes

Excellent Q! :raised_hands: Have you been practicing? :dancer:t2: I have. :smile:

9 Likes

Definitely, or else I would look like this:

tenor-1

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Tuesday night is here again! Hereā€™s my fresh batch of questions for you this week:

1. I noticed that social media promoted a Friday Night Watchalong of The LEGO Batman Movie, not appearing on this service! Is this synergy with HBO Max a glimpse of what Watchalongs may be like going forward in 2021?
  2. What distinguishes the DC Universe community members as a whole from other online communities youā€™ve seen?
  3. In the past 2 and a half years, what are some things that have happened here you canā€™t believe you were able to pull off?
  4. I know this isnā€™t the place (or time) to be recommending features but seriously, Iā€™d kill for a ā€œrandom comicā€ button that placed you at the beginning of a series, storyline, or run in our archives at random. Can we do that? Can I help compile the list of destination points for you?
  5. Where are you standing in the Movie Challenge since last week? Iā€™ve got 24 left to go.
9 Likes

:softball:. I havenā€™t read any contemporary Tank Girl comics. The last time I picked up a Tank Girl book was aroundā€¦ 2006/7. It was good, but I was reading oodles of books from DC and beyond at the time, so itā€™s exact name escapes me, as it unintentionally got lost in the shuffle of things.

:movie_camera:. Tank Girl is a fun movie. Malcolm ā€œDCAU Metalloā€ McDowell is quite good, but Petty held her own too. The things about the movie that stand out to me the most are:

ā— It was the first comic-based movie to be directed by a woman.
ā— The trailer for Tank Girl played with prints of Star Trek: Generations, which came out in November of 1994 and also starred Malcolm McDowell as the chief antagonist. Iā€™d never heard of Tank Girl at that point, so when I think of the property as a whole, the memory of seeing the movieā€™s trailer on the big screen is typically the very first thing that comes to mind.

Anyway, is her new book worth a look?

Also: Youā€™ve got my vote for a fireside hangout, as that sounds rad. Iā€™m planning on firing up the 'ol DCU Yule Log soon.

SN: Points for the Ferris Bueller reference!:fist_right:t2: :fist_left:t2:

Speaking of that, Alan ā€œCam/Cameronā€ Ruck played Captain John Harriman of the Enterprise-B in the aforementioned Star Trek: Generations.

9 Likes

That was a lovely song, thank you! :hugs:

6 Likes

@MovieAddict I watched Evita, and stopped about 45 min in and thought, ā€œIā€™m not watching anymore of this dreck.ā€ It was a passable stage play and even worse as a film.

Find a copy of the filmed performance of David Bowie as John Merrick in ā€œThe Elephant Manā€, then get back to me about Bowieā€™s acting chops. He did that character without prosthetic makeup of any kind. Just using his contorted body. It is f-ing remarkable. They should have used the same technique for the movie.

Sure, scripts and directors matter, but a great actor/actress rises above it and makes it work.
For example:
Brian Blessed and Max Von Sidow in Flash Gordon
Frank Langella in Masters of the Universe (ok he worked with the writers to rewrite Skelators monologues, but as an actor he knew what the character needed to be.
Alec Guinness and James Earl Jones in Star Wars (letā€™s be honest, that was a mediocre script at best.)
David Niven, Maggie Smith, Peter Sellers, James Coco, Peter Falk and Alec Guinness in Murder by Death. Objectively that is a pretty week and formulaic script by Simon. It was great actors that made it work.
Laurence Oliver in Marathon Man
Tim Curry and Madeline Khan in Clue.
And Iā€™ll only briefly touch on the MCU, with Benedict Cumberbatch and Tilda Swinton that saved that movie and made that one of the best MCU films, even though the script wasnā€™t that good.
Take the music out of Rocky Horror and look just at the script, itā€™s not really that good, but Tim Curry nailed Frankenfurter and made that a true cult classic by sheer force of will and talent.

Ok, Iā€™ll leave the list there.

The truth is, give an actor/actress a fair to bad script and see what they can do with it. A truly great actor can make it work as often as not.

@Applejack
Your best example of a bad film saved by a great actor/actress.

6 Likes

@Applejack
Maybe you already covered this, if so apologies.

After DCUi launches, will there still be support (or at least not rejection) of BYOM WALs?

If we ever get back to ā€œtalentā€ Q&As, would those only be limited to comic book talent? Or would tv/film talent be possible for Q&As as well? (As in no restriction by WB to do so.)

8 Likes

The Bundyā€™s ate pizza for Thank8, tge crust was the day after leftovers

5 Likes