Trivia Tuesday, 11/17 @2 PM PST/5 PM EST: Golden Age Comics!

It’s time to go back to the very beginning! This week on Trivia Tuesday, we’re covering the stories and characters who started it all, in the Golden Age of DC Comics! Most comic historians place the beginning of the Silver Age as the publication of SHOWCASE #4, the debut of Barry Allen as The Flash, on July 5th, 1956. So every comic available on DC Universe up to that date is on the table! So rifle through your grandparents’ collection if you’ve got it, or just take a deep dive into the earliest end of our collection without hurting the resale value.

Your homework assignments:

• ACTION COMICS #1-105
  • ADVENTURE COMICS #103
  • ALL-AMERICAN COMICS #16
  • ALL-STAR COMICS #1-57
  • BATMAN #1-59
  • THE BIG ALL-AMERICAN COMIC BOOK
  • COMIC CAVALCADE #1-13
  • DETECTIVE COMICS #27-200
  • FLASH COMICS #1
  • GREEN LANTERN #10
  • MORE FUN COMICS #73-78
  • NEW YORK WORLD’S FAIR 1940
  • PLASTIC MAN #1-8
  • SENSATION COMICS #1-48
  • SUPERMAN #1-76
  • SUPERMAN’S CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE
  • SUPERMAN’S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN #1-8
  • WONDER WOMAN #1-76
  • WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #1-82

The Rules:

• The first person to correctly answer each question presented every 5 minutes in the comments below receives a point.
  • Whoever has the most points after 24 questions wins the game, and receives an exclusive RIDDLER BADGE.
  • Only one guess is allowed per person, per question.
  • Do not go back and edit your original guesses.
  • After 90 minutes, the game may enter the SPEED FORCE ROUND, where new questions appear right after the previous question is answered correctly. So stay sharp!
  • Not a winner? If you get on the scoreboard, you may still be randomly chosen to select next week’s topic!
  • In the event of a tie game… something interesting happens.

Who among you will emerge triumphant in the winner’s circle? To find out, you’ll have to ANSWER… THE QUESTION!

SCOREBOARD

BlakeMPetit [6]
Row.Harper [5]
MatthewHecht [4]
Detective7 [2]
casasstrophe [2]
MisfitCMJ [1]
4 Likes

Trivia and a new Hawkman comic on one day.

2 Likes

Hawkman #29 came out last week. It was pretty darn good!

1 Like

I am currently on issue 18.

1 Like

Back and ready to roll.

1 Like

15 minutes to showtime!

And oh yeah, that’s a good one! Hawkman definitely had the strongest YOTV tie-in of all the ongoing comics.

1 Like

I have wondered where you were. Still alive most likely.

So far!

I skipped Injustice week because I haven’t finished reading the comic yet and didn’t want to get spoiled, then last week my sister had a last-minute work thing come up and needed me to watch my niece.

But I’m free and clear today. Well, except for keeping my own kid from eating his crayons, but I’m at a point where I can do that in my sleep.

2 Likes

if crayons arent for eating, why do they look so tasty?

That’s the one topic the Mr. Rogers film didn’t cover.

I forgot last week, but I remembered today! Hey everyone!

3 Likes

i tried really hard to read golden age comics for this and i hope i never have to read anything published before the 90s ever again

1 Like

Tastes have changed, to be sure. I think there’s something charming about the early Action Comics and Plastic Man, though.

2 Likes

Also, hey, some of the best DC books are from the 70s and 80s.

2 Likes

its not even about the art or the content! i just HATE the lettering with burning rage

1 Like

I just reread Green Lantern’s first appearance. I never study for these. If I get the draw I might just mess with you by saying “surprise us”

I’d throw in the classic Captain Marvel too. Those CC Beck/Otto Binder era comics were wonderful.

1 Like

Oh, I would too… you know, if we had them. Someday.

2 Likes

My favorite comic is from 1986, (should not be hard to guess), but I normally read early 2000s.

Preach.