World of Wonder | Week 25 | All-Star Comics | Sensation Comics | Wonder Woman ('42) | Jan. 15-21

World of Wonder Week 25!

A Series of Firsts :sparkles:

:star::star::star::star::star:

Last week, we read about DC’s first alternate Earth story. I figured we’d continue on that path. As World of Wonder’s first week post Crisis on Infinite Clubs in the first month of the first year of a new decade, we will be reading a series of firsts. All-Star Comics #8 marks the first appearance and original origin of Wonder Woman. The story continues into the first issue of Sensation Comics and the first issue of Wonder Woman (1942-). With Wonder Woman #750 arriving next week, what better time to visit where this icon got her start? Wonder Woman’s Invisible Jet makes its first appearance as well!

:star::star::star::star::star:

When: 2020-01-15T08:00:00Z2020-01-21T08:00:00Z

What to read: ALL-STAR COMICS (1940-) #8, SENSATION COMICS (1942-) #1, WONDER WOMAN (1942-) #1

Click Images for Links :arrow_down:

0 0 (1) 0 (2)

:rotating_light: SPOILER Discussion Begins Now

:star2:DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. How do you like this depiction of Wonder Woman, from how she’s written and drawn?

2. Do you lean more towards the original clay origin or the current demigod origin?

3. Can you see from these early Wonder Woman stories, why she became an icon?

4. What would you say are some defining qualities of Wonder Woman that are evident right from the character’s beginnings?

:nerd_face: Share your thoughts on the reading overall and let’s discuss :nerd_face:

Questions or concerns? Reach out @Nu52 :inbox_tray:

Click HERE to get a cool flair and join the club

Watch and track #world-of-wonder to keep up to date with all club events

Don’t forget, next week is our Wonder Woman: Bloodlines Watch-Along! The movie comes to DC Universe on January 22nd (same day Wonder Woman #750 is released). There will be two watch-along times. Wednesday, January 22nd will be the first showing and an encore will be held on Sunday, January 26th. We will be discussing the movie in next week’s World of Wonder club meeting. If you are unable to watch along we’ll give you some time to see the movie before diving into spoilers.

5 Likes

Don’t forget, next week is our Wonder Woman: Bloodlines Watch-Along! The movie comes to DC Universe on January 22nd (same day Wonder Woman #750 is released). There will be two watch-along times. Wednesday, January 22nd will be the first showing and an encore will be held on Sunday, January 26th. We will be discussing the movie in next week’s World of Wonder club meeting. If you are unable to watch along we’ll give you some time to see the movie before diving into spoilers.

Just to reiterate :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to getting into more Golden Age Wondy. :grin:

Also, how were you able to do the slideshow thing on the front?

2 Likes

Me too!

What do you mean about a slideshow?

1 Like

Looking at your post from the front page on my phone, the images for All-Star, Sensation and WW goes around on a loop. I haven’t seen that before so I thought you might have discovered it.

2 Likes

Oh, gotcha! I just made a gif.

2 Likes

@Jay_Kay

Re Golden Age Wonder Woman

Links The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore

Second video can start around 15 minutes in

3 Likes

There is no better time! I’m in.

3 Likes

@msgtv Woo! Welcome aboard!

@TurokSonOfStone1950 I can’t wait to watch those videos you posted. I’m sure they’re going to be chock-full of great information.

2 Likes

Just got Lapone’s book. Haven’t jumped into yet.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to reading this, and Finally next week see Wonder Woman new animated movie! :smiley:

3 Likes

Yes! I am really excited about being able to watch it and discuss Bloodlines with all of you.

I haven’t read this issues in like 8 years, so I’m looking forward to rereading them as well :smiley:

4 Likes

There’s some nice free software you can download for creating gifs through your phone or Android device.

I’m wondering how Nu52 got the teeny tiny font!

2 Likes

Ok I’m ready to give my first report on Wonder Woman, so here we go! Wonder Woman theme music playing in the background

1. There’s always something weird how artist in the 30s and 40s draw, maybe I’m being spoil to the modern looks, I think Wonder Woman was drawn really well, sadly some few other characters were terrible looking. Maybe they didn’t make stick figures back then.
  2. I like the Clay Orgin story better, not to change the subject did you read the 2 part story where she face Clayface? It was really good, where he steal her clay power and Wonder Woman look like Donna Troy!
  3. Yes she was like Superman with American color outfit, her orgin story was so good in fact if you watch the 1975 Wonder Woman pilot it really was based on her first orgin story! I thought it was well done!
  4. Her love for Steve Trever and wanted to help. You have to understand that when Wonder Woman was created, the World was at war, So having woman hero was unheard of, Wonder Woman was the first ever woman super hero, Where boys can like a girl hero and girls can look up to. There’s a movie about how Wonder Woman got started, I haven’t seen it. Did you know the guy who created Wonder Woman also invented a Lie Detector? Maybe Wonder Woman’s lasso is based on that! :grinning:
2 Likes

Movie about Creator of Wonder Woman.

The Marston Family claims this story about the relationship between the two women is false

The two women in the story stayed together after the death of Marston until one died.

Each had two children from him

Also

The above video says Director / Screenwriter did not contact family but showed film to Zack and Debbie Snyder who produced Batman.v Superman and Gloria Steinem who put Wonder Woman on rhe cover of Ms Magazine 1 and forced DC Comics to give Wonder Woman her super powers back. All three liked the film

3 Likes

It is a pretty good movie, for anyone curious, and it’s currently on Hulu.

2 Likes

I haven’t read that story yet. I’ve been interested in getting to that Clayface story. It sounds pretty cool.

I did like the Wonder Woman pilot!

I did watch that movie. I liked it a lot. Thanks @TurokSonOfStone1950 for the awesome clips and info! I’ve actually just watched it on Hulu again, hadn’t seen it since it came out in theaters @Jay_Kay

1 Like

If you.want to learn more about the creation of Wonder Woman

I have.a Road to Trinity topic

Third section.is Wonder Woman but also in first post.

Then the history of heroes before Superman

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your topic TSoS! I just read a bit of it. I’ll have to finish the rest after work, but it does have a lot of interesting information. That’s the one thing the movie Professor Marston and the Wonder Women was missing, talking about the other creator behind Wonder Woman. H.G. Peter’s design for Wonder Woman is a huge reason why she’s lasted so long. It’s easily iconic and identifiable.

1 Like