World of Wonder | Week 25 | All-Star Comics | Sensation Comics | Wonder Woman ('42) | Jan. 15-21

Read the first two offerings for the week. It’s interesting to me that there’s no mention of a backup story much less Wonder Woman on the cover. I have to wonder the reaction of the reader to finding this particular story at the back of the book.
For the origin story, though it will be expanded in Wonder Woman 1, this is a pretty solid first try. I’ve started the The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lapore. First, its a great read, just flies by. But in talking about Marston’s younger years and his interest in both Greek mythology and the suffragette movement you really see it all on the page here. It’s interesting that for the era, Marston definitely sees America as the land of equal rights for women.

Bullets and Bracelets never gets old

Doesn’t that image just rock!

Wonder Woman commits ID theft

Maybe they could have noticed Hitler on the floor and ended the war here.

2 Likes

Since I just had to read the whole All-Star (that’s the way my mind works) a few thoughts.
They really lean hard on trying to make seeing in the dark a special power

These Justice Bros could slow down and get some Wisdom of Athena

They should have listed Hawkgirl as a member

4 Likes

That’s such an interesting point! You go from reading all of these adventures from the JSA and they are all leading to the same villain until the team-up at the end, but wait! The book isn’t over just yet, there is yet another story left. How did the general public take that in?

I’ve been meaning to read The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lapore, but comics keep me busy! With it now being mentioned in this thread again, I just have to buy the book at last and read it! It is neat getting to see all of Marston’s personality injected into his story and Wonder Woman’s DNA as a character.

True! It’s still thrilling getting to see bullets hitting her bracelets in the live action Wonder Woman and even in Wonder Woman 1984. I can still see Lynda Carter gifs of her doing it and it remains as cool.

100% It’s one of my favorite panels from the reading. Her design is just extremely well done and remains one of the top designs in comics, IMO. You can look to her current look in comics, animation, and live action depictions and see the fingerprints of this original version all over them.

I had to read all of All-Star as well! I figured we should as according to sources, the timeline being introduced in Wonder Woman 750 is going to have Diana play a part in the JSA (as a founding member I believe). It’s wild seeing how much those characters in the JSA have been enhanced over the years. I mean thinking about where Dr. Fate and Spectre end up makes it interesting seeing them taking on low level crimes.

Poor Hawkgirl got sidelined hard. I always forget that she was brunette.

4 Likes

Later retellings tried to make sense of Bullets and Bracelets. The post-Crisis reboot said that they got the gun from Steve’s mom. The animated movie replaced the bullets with arrows. But there is something to be said for the “Why not?” attitude of the Golden Age. If you can’t accept that the Amazons can develop guns despite their isolationist policy and preference for ancient weapons, then how could you ever accept invisible Robot Planes and Kangas?

4 Likes

Good point @AlexanderKnox I did like the bow and arrows scene in the animated movie, but I prefer when writers show the Amazons as having developed technologically. I don’t believe the Amazons would just become stagnant.

3 Likes

I alsoread through the whole All-Star issue, and it’s pretty funny seeing The Spectre, God’s Spirit of Vengeance, initially start dealing with lottery schemes.

2 Likes

Exactly! That was wild. Dr. Fate too! It’s also fun getting to see them be team players. Dr. Fate in JLD has been anything but thus far.

1 Like

I know it depends on.the writer but how strong and powerful is the typical Amazom relative to Diana?

The latest story in Year One by Rucka is that she got her powers from many gods after she arrived in America. She won any contest based on her prior Amazonian physique and training

In this origin story

Diana receives her powers upon birth

Amazons are strong and agile enough.that they have at least a chance to survive 'bullets and bracelets" or else that contest would never be given

In much latter stories Artemis takes over as Wonder Woman. Also under John Byrne Queen Hippolyta takes that role both in the Justice Society and in present day.

Yet Diana is often depicted as Strong as Superman and as Fast as the Flash.

How strong is the typical Amazon?

It doesn’t look like the Amazons thought of Diana as anything special except she was the daughter of the Queen. Was she hiding her abililitied or gain them only when an adult like Bryne’s Superman?

Or was she only as strong as Captain America or early Spidet Man. Impressive but nowhere near even the abilities of early Superman?

2 Likes

Better than Sandman who matched his wits against an evil photo scam. And what about Starman? You’ve got a cosmic rod, but rather than dare be late for a meeting you endanger a random child by making him watch a hardened criminal until you get back.

2 Likes

Yeah, the photo scam was weird, but like I said, God’s Spirit of Vengeance. And now that I think about it, why does he even need the Antidote to the monkey flu or whatever? Couldn’t he just, like, take the molecules of the disease in the bloodstream, rip it out of the thug through his nose, turn them into knives and make the mook talk?

2 Likes

An interesting thing in these issues in regards to the clay question is that it sounds like all Amazons were birthed from clay, the difference is that Aphrodite shaped them and Hippolyta shaped Diana. That I definitely don’t like as much because I think it takes away from the specialness of Diana.

1 Like

Yeah, it varies so much that I really have no idea. Sometimes they depict Amazons as being able to stand up to Atlanteans or Kyprtonians, and other times the Amazons are at that Cap. level and their edge is their Amazonian training.

It’s a good question and really interesting. I mean I’ve seen Diana in space and underwater, but could any Amazon do that or is it just a Diana thing?

1 Like

@msgtv The part where Starman left the child actually stuck out to me. I also have no idea what this Sandman’s powers were, but I figured he wasn’t on the level of the Vertigo one.

@Jay_Kay I don’t think it takes away from Diana’s specialness. Diana still stands apart. She’s not special because of the circumstances surrounding her birth, IMO. I like that the race of the Amazons are created this way. It’s about all of the women being equals in some manner, despite one being a queen and the other a princess. I mean, Diana being a golem is just taken from greek mythology as well. To me, what makes Diana stand apart is her desire to do what’s right even when she’s being told not to by those that “know better”. Reminds me of Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman

2 Likes

Finished WW #1. Got thoughts. Awesome cover, but the US stopped using mounted horse cavalry 20 years earlier and charging horses into machine gun fire is not a good idea. But it looks neat. I enjoyed the expanded origin story going all the way back to the creation of the Amazons. I also like the addition that Diana invented the purple healing ray to cure Steve. So now the not so good stuff. Both in the origin story and in Etta’s adventures, Marston again shows he has a problem with curvy girls, and he’s really a jerk about it. When he got married, he made his wife change her first and middle names because he didn’t like them. So, Mr. Big Feminist is a jerk to women. And the depiction of Burmese. I know I learned a lot from comics, advanced vocabulary some science facts, so kids in 1942 are learning complete junk about people because a Harvard educated writer either doesn’t care or worse. It is a testament to the character of Wonder Woman that even her she rises above the story itself.

Enjoyed the Baroness story more, Just a straight forward tale of a Nazi Baroness, her underground headquarters, slave girls and a stupid little cowboy.

Speaking of cowboys, Etta’s brother is an idjit.

3 Likes

Me too! Normally Diana is depicted as someone who is very skilled in combat and diplomacy, but we never really see her get crafty or technical. It’s different, but with this more technologically-minded Paradise Island, it works.

Yeah, in the origin story it’s kind of mean, but I have to admit, I think I come out of these adventures really liking this Etta Candy. She’s absolutely ridiculous and over-the-top, but then again, so is A LOT of the stuff in these stories. She feels like a more PG version of Pam from Archer.

What’s interesting is that this story is actually the basis for one of the early episodes of the Lynda Carter show, like second or third. The only part that wasn’t there I think was the little kid tying Diana up on the post. As much as they utilized Lynda’s good looks, that probably was a little much for 70s network TV.

And OF COURSE his first name is Mint. :rofl:

3 Likes

He,he

1 Like
  1. How do you like this depiction of Wonder Woman, from how she’s written and drawn?

In terms of writing, she feels pretty close to who we know her to be today. She’s strong, wise, compassionate, willing to talk things out but will throw down when required. I liked her more competitive and entertaining side, which is something we don’t see a lot, like when she goes in to save lives in both the circus and the bullfighting, she saves the lives and then she puts on a better show than the entertainers.

The only things I wasn’t so into with how she fell in love with Steve from the start. I like them nowadays as a couple, but dude, Diana here fell in love with him while he was in a freaking coma. I much prefer how it’s done nowadays, where she takes Steve back as an obligation, and as they work together she starts to truly fall in love with him.

Drawing wise, I like it. She’s definitely drawn more demure than she is nowadays, and while I tend to prefer her as being outwardly athletic, I do like it as both a visual gag and as a statement. A woman might not seem as strong or powerful, but she is just as strong, if not more so within.

1. Do you lean more towards the original clay origin or the current demigod origin?

I don’t hate the clay origin, but I think the whole “golem” idea made those who writer assume she is something other than human, made her too perfect or too aloof or both. Ironically enough, I feel like making her part-god made it so she’s written more human in recent years.

That said, it is interesting seeing Diana be so referent to her gods here and in the Perez run, and then seeing her handle some of the Gods more like douchebag extended family in New 52 onward.

1. Can you see from these early Wonder Woman stories, why she became an icon?

Absolutely. She had strong stories from the start (even if, like @msgtv shows, there are a LOT of problematic elements in some of these early stories), and they feel different from every other story at that time. There’s a bit of whimsy and humor to it as well as ass-kicking action. The closest I can think of other books around that time like that are Captain Marvel, which was one of the more successful because of those attributes.

1. What would you say are some defining qualities of Wonder Woman that are evident right from the character’s beginnings?

Kind of got into that in the first question, but definitely her sense of compassion and strength. Her reverence and belief in the Gods.

2 Likes

@msgtv I did enjoy the touch of Diana inventing the purple healing ray. I do like how her mental strength is highlighted even when using the mental radio. The radio is silly, but it does its job at showcasing that side of Wonder Woman.

I agree about how Marston depicted plus sized women and POC. It seemed like he was very patriotic, and very anti-Japanese people, but his depiction of the Baroness was a bit more lenient. He even has Steve tell the Baroness that they’re friends. Weird choice.

Completely agree! I also agree about how Etta comes out of the stories absolutely over the top and it works.

1 Like

I fell behind this week! I am hoping to catch up by tomorrow

2 Likes

Hope you’re well! We’ll be here whenever you’re ready :smiley:

1 Like