The Superman Thread

I learned to be perceptive like you, Bats.

5 Likes

Geoff Johns wrote a better Kingdom Come sequel than Mark Waid.

4 Likes

It is why I buy the theory that Alex Ross was the real main story guy behind Kingdom Come.

Granted I got one issue through The Kingdom. It was bad.

4 Likes

Mark Waid even admits to that.

4 Likes

That might be why Thy Kingdom Come’s credits read like this

Giving Ross credit for story with Johns.

Do comic credits work like movie credits with the difference between “and” and “&”? I would think they would use the same method.

3 Likes

one of my favorite Superman moments happened when he helped form the JSA

5 Likes

I have been searching high and low and not able to find hide nor hair nor issue of a Superman foe from a digest book I had when I was a kid in the 70s.

I remember this villain was a male, whose power manifested as a kind of mental domination when he “banged” his thumb and pinky together.

I would appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

If this isn’t the right place for it, can you direct me to the obscure villains trivia thread?

4 Likes

Welcome to the DC Community :smiley:.

I’m afraid I’m not familiar with this villain, but other Superman fans here may be able to help you once they see your inquiry.

If not, check out this club; you may very well find your answer there:

Again, welcome, and hope to see you around in this thread and others!

4 Likes

Actually, while I remember watching the first movie in a theater it’s been a long time. And I’ve not sat through the whole thing from start to finish, plus again it’s only $5. Both versions of II I’ve only seen at home - but I went ahead and bought the ticket but I might just get a refund if I am too tired or feel I will be when we show up.

This is very vaguely familiar but not as a villain for Superman. Not sure as a villain for whom but this part of it sounds similar. Can you provide any other details. This was the 70s but was this a digest of like GA and SA stories (40s and 50s) or was it stories from the '70s? Do you remember anything else? And this is probably as good a place as any place else on line. Oh, and welcome!

5 Likes

For Superman: The Movie, see it in a theater, the way it was meant to be seen and the best way it can be seen, especially when exhibited in 4K laser projection and Dolby Atmos (I speak from experience, as my third go-around with STM was in laser projected 4K and Atmos with an audience that loved the movie).

I’ve seen it on the big screen 3 times and will be marking the fourth time this month, on the 18th, which is a nice coincidence, being that’s when Superman’s two best current titles, Superman and Batman/Superman: World’s Finest, see their new issues debut at retail, while their second-most recent issues will debut on DCUI Ultra that day as well.

4/18 will be a :superman:uper day, indeed. :superman_hv_4:

Was it from a Best of DC Blue Ribbon Digest?

“Moving on.”

The My Adventures with Superman teaser was neat. I love Superman and anime, so mixing the two should hopefully produce a swell end result.

Question is, though: What precipitated the show going to Adult Swim?

I remember how Beware The Batman’s final episodes fared on Adult Swim and…yeah, I hope My Adventures with Superman is treated substantially better.

6 Likes

I think so, but I’m not sure. I’ve tried looking at covers to see if it triggers a memory, but nothing definite.

Thank you. Judging from the art style - as far as I can remember it - it was Curt Swan-like if not actually Curt Swan.

Also, I think it was during the time that Clark Kent was a television news anchor.

We’re dealing with memories about 50 years old. I hope this isn’t one of those Mandela Effect things.

4 Likes

Moth’s big reaction catch-up post!

Adv. of Superman: Jon Kent #1:

This was some Multiverse bs… and I love me some Multiverse bs! It was great to see Val-Zod and Red Tornado from Earth-2 back (note to self: finish reading Earth-2 books). I also like the idea of Jon getting to confront his own, personal boogeyman- Ultraman- in this story. I wanted a little more about how Jon is getting the blue lightning powers, but I guess that’s all being covered in Lazarus Planet (note to self: start reading Lazarus Planet). Also, starting to feel like there really needs to be more behind the Jon/Jay relationship. It’s been too easy, too healthy thus far. I get wanting to promote healthy relationships, but… without some kind of complication to a relationship it just starts to feel kind of… dull. Or maybe they need to give Jay something more behind his character to make him stand out a bit more. I don’t know… it just needs a bit more if it’s going to last.

World’s Finest #13:

More fun stuff here from my favorite monthly title! To start, loved Jimmy’s Batgirl-thirst. I don’t think it’s in the cards, though, Jimbo… I also like how this story plays on the complicated relationship between Metamorpho and the Stagg family. It’s the only good note that Metamorpho stories have to play, but it’s such a good note. Waid continues to revive forgotten villains as Secret Society of Super-Villains alum, Quakemaster, gets name-dropped. I liked the swerve at the end and how it finally gets Jimmy a measure of revenge for all those times Superman and Bats bullied him in the Silver Age.

Superman #2:

This was Williamson at his best: Taking old concepts and making them fun again! Here he has Parasite acting like an actual parasite. The villain is using hosts to multiply and spread. I’m all for the Secret Order of Mad Scientists as it harkens back to the Golden Age concept of pitting Superman’s brawn against super brains. We also get a cowboy… cowgirl… cowperson hero revival in the form of Marilyn Moonlight. Campbell’s art still pops and all of the new character designs feel modern and exciting. Pure fun!

Adv. of Superman: Jon Kent #2:

This took an interesting turn. So… a couple things Moth should’ve clued in on earlier: 1) Because of this storyline’s title, I should have known that this was headed toward a crossover with a certain video game tie-in comic. 2) I either keep forgetting or blocking out that the Tom Taylor who wrote the Jon Kent books I loved is the same Tom Taylor who wrote the Injustice books I hated. It’s not because Injustice is an “evil Superman” story. I’ve enjoyed quite a few of those over the years. It’s that it was basically the plot of Squadron Supreme except it contained an excessive amount of gore and provided really upsetting scenes to just play up the shock factor. A lot of the really grim and violent scenes just felt unnecessary for the story it was telling (or, re-telling). So, without spoiling Injustice, there’s a reason that the Injustice Superman does not have his own Jon. That reason was a pretty good example of an upsetting scene in Injustice that turned me off of it. Giving Taylor the benefit of the doubt- because I do think he’s a good writer- my hope is that reason will drive a lot of the drama that comes next and… maybe provide some redemption for Injustice Supes and Injustice itself…?

Action #1053 (which I saved for last because I want to do it in segments):

To start, this chapter of the main story felt a little like a lull. Things happened, for sure. There was action but nothing that significantly moved the plot forward… until the end. I did wonder if Kara was able to give John Henry the designs for the Kryptonian school thanks to her mindscape walk with Peej in Action #1052. That would be cool use of inner-continuity. Speaking of Kara, I felt Conner’s outrage as she was hurt. How dare they??? Good moment between Kal and Kenan over saving the Blue Earther. I like that Jon feels a bit jealous over Osul and Otho since they get to have the childhood that he didn’t. Good character building. As for the shocking conclusion, I’m betting it wasn’t Otho that actually caused the explosion, but… it would be a really compelling plot point if it was. How would they move on from that?

Alright, I’ve avoided it up until now because I get in trouble when I talk about this creator, but… it’s time to address Jurgens and his Lois & Clark stories. Many of us know how I feel. Nothing here has really changed that. This story so far has reminded me most of the Maxima story. A spoiled, alien princess comes to Earth looking for Superman and brings trouble with her while completely misunderstanding what/who Superman is. There are some differences, sure, but it’s basically the same. If you like the Jurgens formula, you will like it. If you have been bored with it for decades, you will still be bored with it.

I will end with the Power Girl story. I still really like these back-ups! I believe that language and its limitations are what really tie this chapter together for me. Peej enters Jon’s mind to make use of his skill as a multi-linguist, and a lot of attention is paid to Jon’s talent with communication. And he is very, very good at the talking- Jon is. Like his father, Jon has the ability to connect with people using inspirational language with just the right amount of small-town wisdom. Power Girl is having none of it. Through the story, PG shuts the door on Jon as he tries to fix the gap between Power Girl and his family with those Super words. The reason for this is because some issues can’t be fixed using only words- language. Much like they discover with the psychic attack they are trying to solve, some problems have a code that is deeper than language and need a deeper code to solve. Just as Power Girl solves Johnny Sorrow’s code, Jon takes the first step of solving Power Girl’s as he comes up with a formula deeper than words to try and bridge the gap. He tries to give her a new name which could become only hers and connect her to the greater Super-family. I know this series hasn’t been exactly what everyone was expecting or even wanted from Power Girl, but… I like how it does so much with seemingly so little.

Anyway, it was fun getting all caught up! I’m generally pretty happy with the state of the Superman books at the moment.

3 Likes

Supposedly The Earth 2 books are a disaster after Taylor takes over.

2 Likes

That’s too bad, if true. I liked Robinson’s run on the book even if it wasn’t exactly what everyone was expecting from a JSA piece. With Taylor… I mean, like I said, I’ve enjoyed his work on Jon and there are even things from Injustice that I liked (the Green Arrow/Harley friendship was oddly compelling). He may just be kind of a hit or miss writer for me.

3 Likes

I have learned a while back he is a miss or miss or miss again writer for me. Oh well.

2 Likes

For me, it wasn’t true. I liked Earth 2 under Taylor as much as I did Robinson.

As usual, I dug your thoughts on the current Super-books, Moth.

Like you, I’m quite happy with where the Superline is right now and where it looks to be heading as well.

Query: What are your thoughts on Superman: Lost, so far? Future classic or…another hit and miss read from Priest?

5 Likes

Good to hear! I do want to finish that volume… someday…

Thanks! Like any era, it hasn’t been perfect, but the current status quo is varied and pretty fun!

Haven’t touched it yet. Might read it when it hits DCUI, but… my feelings on Priest are even more complicated than my feelings on Taylor. Some days I convince myself that Priest is one of the most underrated DC creators of all time and then other days I’m like, “nope… nope, there really isn’t enough there.” Ultimately, there are other things I’d rather be reading/doing right now :laughing:

3 Likes

Ah, so you, like I, drink from the “Priest is good at times, while at others, he’s…not so good.” fountain.

I’m looking forward to Lost #1 when it drops here next Tuesday. I hope it will be good and I will absolutely approach it with an open-minded, hoping for the best, mentality.

3 Likes

Welcome back @TheCosmicMoth. We missed you around these parts.

Like all your thoughts, and agree with most of ‘em. I think I like your thoughts on the Power Girl backup without actually enjoying the backup itself :joy:.

Agree on the state of the Super books. They’re truly giving something for everyone.

3 Likes

DC must have a lot of faith in Superman #1 and Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #1 for those issues to have non-Ultra availability only 30 days after their respective retail debuts.

I know that’s a marketing tactic to grab attention for each series and hopefully draw new readers into buying future issues of each title, but even so, its a nice show of faith from DC.

4 Likes