The Superman Thread

Hey folks. I’m creating this topic to discuss all things Superman. I felt the need to do so because, well… I wanted a place where we can share our thoughts without necessarily being confined to a club format with weekly readings & such. Read a comic you like (or didn’t like)? Have a question that the rest of the community may help answer? Found, or looking for, a specific Superman collectible? Want to share a comic panel or cover? Wanna talk movies and TV? If it’s related to The Man of Steel, let’s share here! Kind of like a master Superman thread, if you will.

28 Likes

The first thing I wanna talk about is something I haven’t been able to articulate very well for a while, but I’m going to give it a go here. I’ve read a lot of posts about how a certain writer or filmmaker “gets”or (doesn’t get) Superman. These posts usually give me a bit of a pause. Do I get the character? To me Superman is every much this:

as he is this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

and this:

I guess you get my drift here. It’s not one facet of the character that defines him for me, but all of it informs my view of the character. Farm boy, investigative reporter, alien, the best of us, idealistic, imperfect, flies!, super powered, kind, stern, fantastical, humble, badass, intimidating, strong, hopeful, brave, loving, lonely, all of it. Which is why I find it easy to enjoy all kinds of Superman stories… from the Christopher Reeve movies to the Snyder movies, from Byrne to Jurgens to All-Star to New 52 to Tomasi to Bendis. Truth, Justice, & The American Way, Symbol of Hope, Man of Tomorrow, The Man of Steel, all great descriptions of a great character. One that I feel has so many layers to peel and sides to explore. Of course some depictions “click” more than others, but I (mostly) enjoy ‘em all. That’s why you hardly see me complain about a Superman story. Yeah, I don’t like it when they make him weaker than I expect. I don’t like it when he’s not given his due in team stories. But I’m more often than not able to get over my criticisms.

Usually after that moment of pause, I think to myself “These folks know what it’s about more than you do, Moro… some big fan you are”. Then again, maybe it’s the fan in me that wants to have a good time with the character, regardless of the interpretation. Or maybe because I got into this hobby later than most comic book fans (I was 31). In any case, just seeing the S & the cape and seeing Superman do Superman things, whether it’s power related or not, is usually enough to give me the warm & fuzzy :slightly_smiling_face:.

28 Likes

I absolutely love this idea and I’m jealous I didn’t think of it myself. Although I did get this today!

19 Likes

He is the modern mythological figure, reinvented time and time again by countless different writers. To me, as long as the themes of Truth and Justice are their in his heart, and is willing to understand instead of defeat, then all of those images are Superman to me. :superman:

A very well spoken statement there @moro

12 Likes

That’s a nice pickup there @Jsmsiggy! Is that a print to hang on the wall? Love Andy Kubert’s art.

7 Likes

Thanks. Glad it resonated. What you said there about countless writers taking him on is kind of where I’m coming from. When I started reading comics, all of a sudden there was an endless supply of material to read, all of them with different takes and points of emphasis. Unlike folks that started young and had a pretty firm picture of Superman drawn in their heads… I just dove in, and I’m still diving :joy:

6 Likes

Okay, Gods and Monsters has the best Superman.

6 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong, but he isn’t Clark Kent/Kal-El in that movie, but the son of Zod, correct? I remember enjoying the movie. A different take for sure. It’s been a long while, but if memory serves me, the heroes were brutal, but meant well… or ended up on the “good” side at the end… I think. It’s enough of a departure though for me, in terms of backstory, appearance, and personality to make it feel like a completely different character that merely shares the same name.

Curious why you think that’s the best version of Superman?

6 Likes

He is one fourth Clark, as he has one of the four parents. In it the heroes kill murders like terrorists and only that (people who would receive the death penalty), and Superman is very big on enforcing that. Okay he also kills the guy with a death wish.

He is still the protector of Earth like Superman. He does have a desire to rule that he eventually decides against, as he has to learn humility instead of it being taught to him by his parents.

I really love angry Superman. I also love his political and moral philosophy questions he raises and internal debates he has with himself.

8 Likes

I always like the weekly Superman stories back in the 90s, along with Superman Adventures. Superman the Animated series was a huge deal to me, I thought it was the best version of any Superman’s series. :00_superman1: :0_superman1:

9 Likes

@moro yep hanging that baby right up in my comic book room!

9 Likes

:00_superman1: you don’t miss with the S

7 Likes

9 Likes

The 90s Superman animated show was fun. What stuck out to me the most in it was how it captured the gracefulness of Superman’s movement, especially his flight. The swoosh when he takes off, the panoramic shots of Metropolis while he glides above. Can’t say that Bruce Timm’s art style is my favorite l, but the show worked. Too bad it lasted only 3 seasons.

11 Likes

Grab a chair and stretch your legs up!

6 Likes

Nah- never let anyone decide for you what you like. It is what it is, and if you enjoy a version that others don’t, that’s their problem.

6 Likes

I just got around to watching this yesterday (we got a new dog a week ago today and have been exhausted keeping up with his puppy energy)- VERY pleasantly surprised with how good this looks.

8 Likes

Congrats on the dog!

I am very excited for Superman & Lois. The mere fact that we’re getting a proper Superman live action show was enough to get me going. The trailer though, makes it look like it’s right up my alley.

8 Likes

G&M Superman is the son of Zod and not of Jor-El. The essence of Superman is very present from the infant Kryptonian being raised on Earth by parents instilling right and wrong etc. Hernan is more brutal and will choose to kill, but he fights the hero’s fight. and maybe a better relationship with the rest of the trinity. That version’s Batman in particular.

8 Likes

We are not worthy of those 3 seasons of greatness.

9 Likes