The Superman Thread

Wasn’t paying attention so didn’t know this was a thing. It’s smart, because it not only brings attention to current comics series, but also to the subscription service, which I think they don’t advertise enough.

4 Likes

Its pretty rad that DCUI has been advertised on Multiverse packaging over the last few months, as well as elsewhere within McFarlane’s DC pantheon.

I hope that little bit of awareness will benefit DCUI in the long run.

3 Likes

This is tricky… There were a lot of one-off villains from the 60’s and 70’s and mind control is a popular power to throw at Superman. I did some looking, found some possibilities, but none of them seem quite right. Let me throw some names at you:

Vartox

William Wright

Euphor

Frank Rayles

Rog-Ar

All of them have mind control abilities, but I couldn’t narrow down if one touched their thumb to their pinky to do so. If it’s not any one of them… I don’t know… You may have to keep floating the question around and hope you find someone who read the same story.

Unless @CaptainYesterday or @Don-El have any thoughts?

Thanks! Glad I’m helping make those stories somewhat worthwhile for you :laughing:

5 Likes

No easy answer to the finger villain. I do see that Mxyzptlk or his girlfriend would snap their fingers at times to do magic.

But I’ll definitely be on the lookout!

3 Likes

My sentiments exactly, and something I repeat. Even the Lee Week’s variants so far have been wanting, IMHO, so to me, Javin’s giving this sop to Dan, or whatever motivated it, was a mistake.

2 Likes

This makes me so sad. The Jurgens and Weeks stories are the reason I’m buying Action, and I think they’re great.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but I didn’t see a dedicated thread for Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent anywhere.

I just read #2 and… wow. I didn’t expect that. I won’t go too deep into spoilers but I am so excited with the series. Jon is my favorite member of the Super family so I am happy to see him in his own series (even if it is a mini). I wish his other series had continued, but I’ll take what I can get.

3 Likes

It’s the right place! We’re trying to keep all Super discussions to one master thread, but you are more than welcome to open a new one, if you like :slightly_smiling_face:. We did touch base Adventures or Superman Jon Kent #2 somewhere up there. I agree it’s a good issue. I maybe would have liked to see more interaction or a bigger face off between Jon and Ultraman before the neck snap, but I’m still very intrigued about where they’re taking things.

3 Likes

Don’t be sad, be glad :grin:.

The fact that they’re offering something to various types of Superman fans is a good thing.

I’m sure there are folks that are fans of the Power Girl backup that don’t necessarily appreciate my not so favorable take :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

Nah, I’m good. If this is the right spot, we don’t need two spots to talk about one series!

And I agree with what you said. This series was billed as Jon vs Ultraman and then we don’t even get a full issue of Ultraman. Or see Jon interact with him for very long. Though, I am a huge Injustice fan. So I am very interested to see how this plays out. But, I would have liked more resolution to Jon and Ultraman. That storyline has always bugged me and I had hoped to get more from it in this series.

4 Likes

I agree that different flavors is great. I’m just sad because I prefer to share the things I’m loving.

3 Likes

I can relate. Not to open up the old debate, but I remember things being a bit tough for me having very much liked Bendis’ run on Superman, and logging on the forums to find… well… let’s just call it less favorable opinions :joy:.

3 Likes

I enjoyed the two part cross-over that they did for Convergence, but I thought the OC that Jurgens created for what he knew was going to be a short term series, was wholly unnecessary and a particularly uninteresting one. He felt a great deal like a Marlel villain that Dan had not gotten to (or possibly had used) on any one of his runs over there, as I’ve not ever read a single one of those, and simply ported over to DC. He’s the kind of OC, that if Dan had never gotten to write the Rebirth Action Comics run, and didn’t have any continuing opportunities to write Superman content now, would never see the light of day again, that’s how unforgettable and one-note of a villain he was. And that’s the kind of behavior - and not that Jurgens is solely to blame here - DC editorial should take a hand in these situations, but he’s not the first, nor even the last writer to do this, and just as readers are annoyed with the OCs Bendis created for his three/four arcs on both titles, which is a short number of issues for the sheer amount of OC Bendis brought on board, as just one recent example, people were not and are not thrilled by even a writer they like, in this case Jurgens, when he did in Arrival (or whatever you want to call the Lois and Clark mini-series that immediately pre-dated Rebirth and ran contemporaneously with The Death of Super Bro.

I’m actually more disappointed with Weeks since I enjoyed his art in that Mini and the Convergence two-parter and I liked the variant (I forget at the moment whether he did the one or did two) for Superman '78, for example, and other covers he’s done, and the two I’ve seen so far look frankly like rejected left-overs from Arrival. Totally and fully underwhelming.

Jurgens is a technically proficient writer that is capable of putting together an interesting enough story; however, the Action Rebirth run, and the issues he did on the post 52 volume two run of Booster Gold have just shown me that he tends to do some of the laziness and uninteresting - almost a paths of least resistance types of work ethic - that just never bodes well, IMHO, to good work - that he has been capable - just not regularly, of late.

I will add, if it helps, that I do think his pencil and ink work is as good as he ever was.

2 Likes

I’m kinda of Bendis neutral - I am not really upset about what he did, but neither am I super excited about it. I thought his Action Comics run had some really fun, exciting storylines in it - the House of Kent and the lead up to Event Leviathan in particular. I definitely got tired of the walls of negativity on the run, particularly since most of it seemed to be motivated by a love for the Tomasi run of both Superman and Super Sons, which I generally disliked.

I don’t think Lois and Clark 2 is a masterpiece - but I think it’s really fun. I just feel kinda alone on that right now. Everyone seems to ignore it or bag on it.

3 Likes

Wasn’t me :joy:.

Like I mentioned before. I’m enjoying the story. I didn’t mention this before, but I like how it links the Doomsday stuff to more current events. It’s been a fun tale.

Speaking of Jurgens. I’m at some point in 1994 in my triangle era readings. I just hit the Zero Hour Superman stuff, so I have to make a detour to read that event to make sense of the Superman issues. I’ve read a lot of negative takes on this event, so time to see if they hold true for me. Will report back once I’m through with it, but will take me some time :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Neat stuff on your triangle reading! I really loved the first Lois and Clark series, and I loved how the Death of Superman 30th Anniversary story tied that to the, well, Death of Superman (to match my beautiful DCUI Ultra deluxe edition :slight_smile: ), so I just love that it’s this little thread of story being told from place to place with such lovely art. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This got posted on reddit - thought people here might appreciate it, he got lovely responses - which is not par for the course for reddit. Apparently, this gentlemen in Arizona has posted repeatedly and run his own subreddit about it and is well known at least in the Superman sub which is where I came across it.

EDITED (so as to not post twice in a row):

@moro @Vroom @DoctorPhobos I stuck my thumb in mouth and stuck it out the window but there wasn’t any wind, so I bought both tickets - but probably will not use the second.

I’d be at that shopping district for almost six hours if I stay for the Donner Cut, plus the people joining me for Superman won’t stay out that late as it’s a school night for them.

6 Likes

Here, Superman thing:

3 Likes

You’re a better fan than I am. There aren’t any viewings where I live, but even if there was, I probably wouldn’t have done it. I only go to the movies a few times a year, so I’ll save those trips for movies I don’t have memorized. Have fun though, and let us know all about it!

4 Likes

Superman: Lost #2 and Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow #1 drop today - very exciting! And they snuck in the finalist 6 pagers they promised back during the second contest as backup features - very cool! Anyone check out these great new Superman/fam comics today?

5 Likes