RETURN of the DC COMIC BOOK LIBRARY CHALLENGE - 2024 EDITION

CHALLENGE #8:

For this challenge, I read MOTHERLANDS, part of the final wave of Vertigo titles before the brand was shuttered. Reads like a Proto-Rick & Morty, but focused on a Mother/Daughter relationship.

5 Likes

Great series!!

3 Likes

Oh this sounds interesting :thinking: I may have to read it eventually.

4 Likes

FYI @TurtlePower

Kickstarter has a campaign for a Mike Grell Art Book. I thought you might be interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mikegrellartbook/mike-grells-50th-anniversary-art-book

6 Likes

Looks cool, wish I could swing it. I just backed a Jack Kirby book on Zoop,

and the Kelley Jones’ Young Dracula book before Christmas. Crowdfunding campaigns are dangerous to my collecting urge.

6 Likes

That’s looks like my style! Kinda frustrated that I hit The Warlord wall at issue 22, wtf DCUI why can’t I read the whole Grell run? Took them awhile to fix his Green Arrow run, maybe in a year a two I can return to Warlord.

4 Likes

CHALLENGE #9:

For this challenge, I read issues 1-6 of Keith Giffen’s ECLIPSO. I ended up liking this a lot more than I thought I would, as an early example of a comic that really luxuriates in the mind of an irredeemable villain.

6 Likes

I’m hoping DCUI will bring back more Warlord @TurtlePower. They ran a vote called backlist-breakout that allowed the community members to vote series to be digitized. Guess who campaigned across all of DCUI for The Warlord? :wink: Could it be Deimos? :imp: Well, no because…

Below are three threads concerning the voting:

Here are two threads focused on The Warlord that you might want to check out.

4 Likes

I fought for Ditko’s Blue Beetle, and all his Charlton stuff. They finally start his doing his BB, guessing the movie finally got their butts in gear. So you just need a Warlord Movie. With legends they should at least scan the best copies they have, lots of times scans of newsprint are superior to saturated colors jobs on digital prints of Gold, Silver, & Bronze age comics. Though DC does better job than Marvel, Marvel Essentials can go for a pretty penny on the aftermarket bc the colors they put on Kirby & Ditko are such a sin making the B&W version better.

6 Likes

True. You need to check out my commentary on the four different versions as it points out the coloring and reproduction differences. The coloring can be very garish and sometimes so weird I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. Examples below.

4 Likes

CHALLENGE #10:

For this challenge, I read ARTEMIS: WANTED, by Vita Ayala. It’s unthinkable to me that this isn’t included in TRIAL OF THE AMAZONS, considering this is the issue where, like, the final trial actually happens.

6 Likes

man i know cassie is at a distance but she still looks a bit too small

6 Likes

I loved all of Trials of the Amazon and agree this should have been included. It was so good.

6 Likes

CHALLENGE #11:

For this challenge, I read DON’T LET THE PENGUIN DRIVE THE BATMOBILE, an adorable parody of the children’s book “Don’t Let The Pigeon Drive the Bus.” @Reaganfan78 would love this one.

7 Likes

Do you have a post with a breakdown of these images? The second is bad like the Epic Collections/Masterworks Marvel puts out for their Silver Age books. Why make the T-Rex in Barney? The last one is pretty good though.

6 Likes

The link was posted above, but here it is again. I compared four versions:

Original Comic
Digital Comic
Trade Paperback Color
Trade Paperback B&W

Check it out.

6 Likes

CHALLENGE #12:

For this challenge, I decided to finish what I started with Challenge #9 and return to ECLIPSO (1992). Previously, I had read issues 1-6, written by Keith Giffen. The remainder of the series, issues 7-18, is written by Giffen’s frequent collaborator, Robert Loren Fleming. Two outstanding highlights: issue 8, set in the 1890s and pitching Eclipso against none other than Sherlock Holmes; and issue 10, where Eclipso entertains a houseguest in his palace on the moon: the almighty Darkseid.

7 Likes

CHALLENGE #13:

For this challenge, I read the Justice Society of America, Supergirl: Matrix, and Batman and the Outsiders miniseries. The JSA story was an affecting tale of aging heroes giving their all for one last curtain call, the Supergirl: Matrix story, as told by Keith Giffen, was very silly, and the Outsiders story had a compelling subplot about one of the few people for whom life under the dome was an improvement over his life before it: the human once more Metamorpho.

6 Likes

This cover is hilarious lol

4 Likes

It’s not a cover! It’s an interior page designed to look like a cover!

6 Likes