🎶 Mixtape Monday:The Joker's 80th Anniversary 🎶

Hello, party people!

Last week’s tunes had us dancing in the streets our seats together, feline fine, and tossing the confetti in honor of the woman of the hour: Catwoman! Much to her surprise, the distance apart mattered little, and our get-together still resulted in a mewsical experience to remember - with our showing up dressed to the nine (lives!), we were ready to party with a playlist of songs so catchy and well-chosen that she’s still purring along to them as we speak! Way to show you weren’t kitten around, guys! :catwoman_hv_4:

…Okay, okay, I’ll stop now, I promise! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Anyhoo, see our doozy of a full list of songs below!

• Cat Lore,” by Klaus Badelt (from Catwoman)
  • “Get Some,” by Lykke Li
  • “Face to Face,” by Siouxsie and the Banshees (from Batman Returns)
  • “The Perfect Crime #2,” by The Decemberists
  • “Cat People (Putting Out Fire),” by David Bowie
  • “Money,” by Caroline Rose
  • “Society Hook,” by Shayfer James
  • “Why Don’t You Do Right?” by Peggy Lee
  • “Dance, Dance, Christa Paffgen,” by Anberlin
  • “Long Cool Woman (In a Black Dress),” by The Hollies
  • “Breaking the Law,” by Judas Priest
  • “Cat Scratch Fever,” by Ted Nugent
  • “Smooth Criminal,” by Michael Jackson
  • “Been Caught Stealin’,” by Jane’s Addiction
  • “Holy Diver,” by Dio
  • “Dani California,” by The Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • “Layla,” by Derek and the Dominos
  • “She’s a Lady,” by Tom Jones
  • “Angel,” by Massive Attack
  • “Glory Box,” by Portishead
  • “Down Boy,” by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
  • “Nobody Knows Me,” by Madonna
  • “Whatever Lola Wants,” by Sarah Vaughan
  • “Habanera,” by The London Philharmonic Orchestra (from Carmen)
  • “Shadow Woman,” by The Growlers
  • “More,” by Peaches
  • “I Get Mine,” by The Ettes
  • “I Want To Be Evil,” by Eartha Kitt
  • “Just an Old Fashioned Girl,” by Eartha Kitt
  • “Ode to Joy,” by Beethoven
  • “I Am a Rock,” by Simon and Garfunkel
  • “The Siamese Cat Song,” by Peggy Lee (from Lady and the Tramp)
  • “Diamonds Are Forever,” by Shirley Bassey (from Diamonds Are Forever)
  • “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat,” by Scatman Crothers, Phil Harris, Thurl Ravenscroft, Robie Lester, and Liz English (from The Aristocats)
  • “At the End of the Day,” by Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway (from Les MisĂ©rables)
  • “The Cure,” by The Lovecats
  • “Drops of Jupiter,” by Train
  • “Am I Blue” by Kevin Conroy (from Justice League Unlimited)
  • “Maneater,” by Hall & Oates
  • “China Cat Sunflower,” by Grateful Dead
  • “What’s New Pussycat,” by Bob Marley and the Wailers
  • “Stray Cat Strut,” by The Stray Cats
  • “Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty,” by EcoKids Club
  • “Purr,” by Sonic Youth
  • “Stray Cat Blues,” by The Rolling Stones
  • “Pussycat Blues,” by Bo Carter

This Week’s Theme:
The Joker’s 80th Anniversary
:joker_hv_2:

This April’s a busy one in terms of anniversaries in the DC Universe, it seems, and this week, we’re following up with another belonging to Mistah J, himself! But since you found so many great songs for him during our first foray into Mixtape Meta Madness a few weeks ago, we’d like you to find a few more songs for the Clown Prince of Crime, but the twist is that this week, the goal’s to find music he’d hate for us to play at his surprise party.

The question of the week: How does one drive a super-sane maniac… insane? :thinking:

Have any tunes in mind that’d push all the right buttons in all the wrong, naughty ways?
How’s about ya do Harley a solid and share them in the comments below! :wink:

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

7 Likes

Hmm, since this week’s goal is to find music he’d hate for us to play at his surprise party…
I have two picks… the first being a poke at his feelings for Batman:

Strange choice, but I chose because of the situation between the man and the frog, because their thing involves the frog only showing his performance to the one man watching, and hiding his true abilities (or love of performance, you could say) from everyone else, which results in people thinking the man’s crazy when he tries to tell them about the frog… and the poor guy eventually ends up in the psychopathic hospital, as shown in the clip. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it’s symbolic of an attachment to Batman, mixed with feeling compelled to show his real self (arguably a state of co-dependency?) him as he carries out this perpetual cat and mouse situation they seem to have. The frog has a burning desire to perform, which he clearly loves to do, in much the similar way the Joker loves going all out with his plans, but both seem to only love doing what they do for an audience of one. And that makes me think of the Season 1 trailer for Harley Quinn where she says, “Joker never loved me. He only loves Batman.” :thinking:

Anyhoo, this week’s second pick is based on two scenes - a scene from S01E22 of BTAS where he calls Batman for help in what looks like an interesting moment of weakness, as well as the showdown scene with Harley about 15 minutes into the show’s Season 1 finale, which was a similar moment of weakness, emotional clarity, and spilling of a good many heart-shaped love beans, as I’ll quote below (spoiler alert!). :stuck_out_tongue:

“I have everything a man could want, but I’m not happy! And do you know why? … The reason why I wasn’t happy was because we weren’t together. It wasn’t until I got everything that I realized it means nothing without you by my side. Harley, you’re the missing piece to my happiness. … That was all true. You see, I only have one weakness: You. … You should’ve thought of that before you made me fall in love with you!”

He might not want to be reminded of either scene, but… oh well!
As the song sorta, kinda, maybe goes: It’s his party, and he’ll cry if we want him to. :wink:

So this choice is “Crazier Than You,” by Krysta Rodriguez and Wesley Taylor (from The Addams Family: A New Musical) since I like the fact that it’s performed by Wednesday and her boyfriend, Lucas, so it’d begin, in this case, from HQ’s point of view, establishing her as the crazier of the two, with The Joker being the one who has to be pulled onto her spectrum of craziness, then trying to prove his being the worst of the two:

Can’t wait to see what you all come up with! :partying_face:

5 Likes

Ok Joker, are you ready?
077e08723c86073812e2760a93ffc43101a344d4
Good and here we go!:grinning:
BD022866-0FD5-423B-BFF7-0B822CA6C633
Settle down! Here we go!

Partyman by Prince was a obvious choice…

And here’s Dwight Yoakam 'Inside a pocket of clowns.
And finally…

Yes in Joker movie Jimmy Durante sing this song, but I like to play Nat King Cole version since it’s more popular, so what you guys think of my pick?:slightly_smiling_face:
c13a1f64f882914e56cd41d2172ad8d9
fb147d17dbe13bf3b0e6167682f5dbda
Oh good, I’m so glad you like it!:grin::notes:
6 Likes

Not sure if lyrics are too explicit. If they are, I apologize, just delete post.

3 Likes

@Reaganfan78 - You know, your gif game is on pointe, especially with your covering so many portrayals all at once! :slight_smile: That dance scene down the stairs will always be a favorite for me, too. It was sooo good. :hushed: And speaking of dancing, it looks like you’re intent on making sure the dance floor’s full of happy party-goers with “Partyman,” aren’t you? From faster dancing, to slow dancing, you have the spectrum covered! I’m happy the response he gave you was kinder than the one received last week, too! :wink:

@Pow-Pow - That one’s actually okay in terms of lyrics, so I’m glad to be able to leave it up! It’s really good, and I love what the song’s meaning means when directed to this week’s character, in particular. I like how it’s angry, and in your face, confrontational, and unapologetic, frenetic in pace, and so lacking in fear! Brings me back to my days of listening to Simple Plan. Do you imagine The Joker would give you a stern finger wag of disapproval for this one, or something worse in response? :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I think I’m ded :grimacing:

3 Likes

Well, that’s a curve ball, picking song’s he wouldn’t like…

“Paper Ruled All,” by Artifex Pereo

The opening lyrics reference “watching the world burn”, (which I could use as a nod to that quote in The Dark Knight). Money (paper) rules everything. And no matter how many times he may try to “send a message”, this will always be an obstacle. So this is like a slap in the face, and telling him to maybe switch to robbing banks like a normal bad guy…

“My Curse,” by Killswitch Engage

^ (Original version, with some aggressive vocals)

^ (This version might be more palatable for those who don’t like “yelling” :slight_smile: )

So I had a weird thought process with this one. Going off the ideas of his love for Harley and his obsession with Batman. Most of the song can be the “romantic” aspect (Harley), but the chorus “This is my curse…” is his constant focus on Batman that keeps getting in the way.
Plus, maybe he isn’t a fan of the the vocals? Maybe that’d drive him insane. "HE HAS A GREAT VOICE! WHY CAN’T HE JUST SING ALL THE TIME LIKE A NORMAL PERSON?!?

4 Likes

I had so much fun with Catwoman’s mixtape, I had to see what was next. :sunglasses: :+1: :catwoman_hv_4:

Ah, songs The Joker would hate…? Boy, these I’ve selected sure do have me saying to the Joker “Let’s put a smile on that face!” :joker_hv_2:

First up is none other than his nemesis’ theme for when he was getting back up after a sound defeat. :banehappyhqtas: :batman_madhqtas:

Next, I imagine his Captain Farrell being none other than the Dark Knight, and his Molly being a time where she would have been considered his Harley Quinn. :batman_hv_1::harley_hv_7:

Finally, (funny enough I picked this out and then my own music playlist also started playing this :smile:), keeping with reminding himself of his former flame Harley. :harley_hv_4:

Hopefully Batman does have him locked up in Arkham with his ball in chain after the party otherwise… Anyone know how I can get in touch with Commissioner Gordon? Might have to lay low for a bit after these choices… :fearful: :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I apologize to the whole community for this, not just the Joker. But I don’t think I would last long if I started jamming to this at his party.

5 Likes

Don’t apologize! Some people mock this song, but somehow :thinking: they always knows the words and sing along. :wink: myself included.

5 Likes

Okay…but listen to it once and it will be in your head for for a loooong time.

2 Likes

M.i.A.-Paper Planes.
Cypress Hill-Insane in the Brain.
Blood, Sweat & Tears- Spinning Wheel.

6 Likes

These two scream the Joker to me:

Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad
Napoleon XIV- They’re Coming to Take Me Away (Ha Ha)

4 Likes

Party man is all I’m going to say. But if someone could just put together an ideal list so I can put it on spotify and show you all it would be much appreciated!!! And I’ll make it public for you to visit if you have spotify. I could just wait for the results though

5 Likes

I’m always down for a good ol’ game of “let’s torment the Joker”. [cracks knuckles]

That said, I’m hesitant to post my song choice, for fear that it may be too explicit in title and lyrics. For now at least, I’ll post the censored title rather than a link. Feel free to let me know if I ought to pick something else!

I’m thinking “I Don’t Want to Be An A**hole Anymore” by The Menzingers. It’s an upbeat and earnest song about wanting to be a better lover/partner and a better person. So basically it’s all the things Joker really ought to say to Harley if had a single scrap of decency in him. But…Joker apologize to Harley…sincerely? Without an ulterior motive? He would recoil at the very notion! So… I think it’s safe to say he would sooner willingly walk back into Arkham than enjoy this song. Sorry, Clown Prince! ::joker_ewhqtas::

4 Likes

A party is always fun @MissInkBlot and it’s even funner to consider a party that wouldn’t make a clown smile. I can’t exactly explain why I chose this song, it’s just a solid favorite of mine and it seemed fitting somehow. Hope you dig it. Happy Anniversary to The Joker! :tada:

6 Likes

I like to imagine that some nights, Joker just lays in bed, staring up at the ceiling, humming this song, unable to sleep for hours.

Maybe Joker wouldn’t hate this song, but it was what played over his cremation scene from Arkham Knight, so it probably doesn’t bring up the best memories.

And Joker probably wouldn’t hate these, but I wasn’t going to not include them:
(Special guest star, Justice League’s Micheal Rosenbaum!)

So… I may or may not have just watched Reservoir Dogs last night. But this has always seemed like a very Joker-y song to me, anyway.

7 Likes

Here’s a gag: try getting the first 20sec of this song out of your head. Mmwwahahahaha

Not an entry btw…actually, @MissInkBlot can decide if this stays. Ive got even worse in mind. :smiling_imp:
6 Likes

I’m not falling for your booby traps, @Razzzcat! And neither is the Joker!

3 Likes

I think Black waltz by Avatar could relate to me

2 Likes