đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday:The Joker's 80th Anniversary đŸŽ¶

So I HAD to get involved in this one because how could I not? While my choices might be a little “on the nose” you’ll have to forgive me as this is my first time. :wink:

First, how could this not be included?

Bob Marley’s “Don’t Worry, Be Happy”

This one would just remind him of how much “fun” Harley is having without him now:

Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”

And this would be Harley’s theme song now that she’s done with Joker:

Kelly Clarkson’s “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)”

7 Likes

@Pretty.Poison.Bombshell Oh she’ll never be done with me
:clown_face::joy:

3 Likes

Alright. You asked for it. Let’s partaay!! :clinking_glasses::tada::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Baby Shark

Harlem Shake- Baauer

We are the World

MmmMmmMmmMmm- Crash Test Dummies

Nookie- Limp Biskit

6 Likes

Solid picks!

3 Likes

@Razzzcat I can verify your picks are most accurate

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure this Ramones track is probably a fave on Mr. J’s playlist. :joker_madhqtas::joker_side_eyehqtas::joker_smilehqtas:

3 Likes

Thanks guys! But please don’t anyone listen to them! :grin:Real songs I’d actually dj:
Charmless Man- Blur
Youre Nobody ‘til Somebody Loves You- Dean Martin
Truth Hurts- Lizzo

3 Likes

I love that scene. Oh, Joaquin :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Agreed. This entire film is a masterpiece, not only in the superhero genre, but within the entirety of cinema itself. It will most likely make its mark in the journals of movie history as Todd Phillips’ masterwork. Just. so. good.

2 Likes

@DC89 I for one hope he’s got more up his sleeve.

2 Likes

I thought about Be Happy, but I could see Joker dancing around to it with glee as he squirts his favorite acid flower.

3 Likes

@ralphsix Right? He’d prob find virtue in almost anything awful we could conjure up!
Excellent challenge @MissInkBlot!

3 Likes

@Pow-Pow - :joy: If he had his way, of course, dedder than ded
 but we’ll save you before anything of the sort can happen, I promise! :heart:

@LDFM - A curveball for him and us, both - like one of those roasts that they have on Comedy Central. Which
 hmm, has my mind thinking about possible Mixtape Monday ideas for the future. :thinking: Was hoping this would be a fun twist for all of you, though, so I’m excited to see what you came up with!

Oh, what I can say about “Paper Ruled All,” though? I honestly can’t find the words to describe how great a song that is. I love the lead singer’s voice (it’s reminiscent of the lead singer for The Used, I think), and the lyrics are so fitting for the situation you describe. It would make him quite relatable, as well, since that’s an obstacle we all have to deal with. >,< I like where you’re going with the rationale for “My Curse,” as well
 thinking about the struggle that tug of war causes, with HQ on one side, and Batman on the other preventing him from having his cake and eating it, too, might not end well. I adore the final thought you shared in caps, and have a feeling we’ll have to direct him straight to the Shout, Shout, Get It All Out thread soon for a good dose of catharsis on both matters! :wink:

@ajm08g - Aww, I’m so happy to hear you had a good time last week, and doubly so to see it looks like you did this week, as well! :slight_smile: For one, don’t know about him, I but knowing MY nemesis has a song that good would certainly ruffle my feathers (“Oh, Hansy, how could you do that to me
 you were supposed to show them all that your REAL favorite is no other than li’l ol’ me
”).

but then, having songs like “Whiskey In The Jar” and “Magic” reminding him of that uncomfortable, dysfunctional love triangle thing of his in such scathing (for the former song) and soft, feathery (for the latter) ways just adds salt to the wound (“What are these feelings? And why are my eyes sweating?” :cold_sweat:)! We might succeed in getting him to grimace and begrudgingly admit that Metallica and Coldplay are both amazing, but might end up dazed, confused, and covered in soot after at this rate, so you bring up a good point
 I dropped the ball not having the Commish’s number on speed dial. :stuck_out_tongue:

@ralphsix - Excuse me, but I must make you aware of the pressing fact that one apology’s not enough for a pick like that and the havoc it wrecked on my mind all week. :wink: I’m a softie for songs like that, so you could probably drop that into the list regardless of the theme, and I’d loudly chastise you with a, “don’t you mistake my kindness for weakness!” while winking at ya, and mumbling a sheepish thank you under my breath, lol. Oh, those guilty pleasures. :stuck_out_tongue:

@capo-mage - Ooh, I’ve not heard “Paper Planes,” and “Insane In the Brain” in so long! You’re going to, at minimum, earn the stink eye from our guest of honor simply because of how catchy and addictive those song are. :hushed: Speaking of which, I never knew the name or artist behind, “Spinning Wheel” but remember hearing it in the past and noting how good it was. So glad to hear it again and finally put the pieces together! I love the way it weaves together different types of sound, and the ending stands out because of it’s inclusion of “O Du Lieber Augustin” (“The More We Get Together”), but also because of how it, for me, encapsulates what one would associate with the circus. Considering the theme, the end where one of the band members saying “that wasn’t too good” and the laughter that follows is quite fitting, too. :slight_smile:

@KingOfTheWickerPeople - You have quite the set of picks this week! Really enjoying the happy-go-luckiness of, “Only A Lad” despite the nature of its lyrics (songs with pairings like that are so strange
 it always ends up leaving me feeling a bit disconcerted, but that’s good in this case considering the individual we’re purposely riling up, lol). I have a feeling a certain someone wouldn’t like being told, “Hey there, Johnny boy, I hope you fry!” so Napoleon XIV’s song feels oddly appropriate for us as much as the man of the hour - a week with him, and we’ve gone completely out of our mind, too! :hushed: :woozy_face:

@JOKERclownprinceofcrime - Partyman! You and @Lincolnfan78 would get along swimmingly dancing to that at this party, I think. :wink: Regarding playlists, we’re mulling over thoughts about similar, so I completely understand the desire to compile them together like that. Some of our song choices aren’t available on the site you mention, though, which is a shame, but If you’d like to add all the songs from this week for your later listening pleasure, you can, definitely! :heart: I certainly will be! :stuck_out_tongue:

@BatwomanNYC - Thank you for doing the knuckle cracking I could only do in my mind (awfully sad strait jackets don’t allow for such pleasures, lol). :stuck_out_tongue: You’re right about the lyrics being problematic, so you can choose a new song if you want, since I wouldn’t be able to add this one to the list, but after listening to it, and reading your reason behind it, I really, really like the combo! It has that feel good atmosphere to it that reminds me of songs by Simple Plan or similar, and I love it! That said, this is the song that caused him to sulk in the corner, arms crossed and head shaking in disgust at the notion of these lyrics applying to him, but the traitorous toe tapping he tried to hide said it all - thank goodness we’re good people, and pretended we didn’t see. It means we live to torment another day! :wink:

@KeyFamily - Ahh, that, “it’s even funner to consider a party that wouldn’t make a clown smile” has scored you an early invite to the next bash, you know
 and protective gear for this one. :wink: As for why you chose what you did, I reckon it’s because the song, and that music video’s contrast in color, are fantastic. :slight_smile: That, and it matches that gif provided incredibly well! :partying_face: I don’t know what it is about that song, but it makes me want to dance just like that, floating cash, and all! I think the lyrics fit the situation, too, particularly, the introduction of, “Could I act like you, and put a smile on face?” That’s a hefty question with a lot of meaning lurking beneath it, which makes the sound of its accompanying music equally interesting because it hides the heaviness of it beneath upbeat layers. :thinking: Very appropriate for the Joker, in my opinion!

@TornadoSoup - We’ll pretend not to see how your description caused his ears to perk up, and the words, “I wonder where they put the cameras
” to scroll across his eyes when he heard them, lol. The rest of us hum that song in the daytime, but that his witching hour’s theme song. >,< How’d you know? :wink: Completely understand the reasoning behind “I’ve Got You Under My Skin.” The sour look on his face made it clear he knew what you were getting at, but I made him promise he’d let us all leave as close to the state that we arrived in as possible, so you’re in good hands. 
I think. Rounding out with two fantastic songs he won’t hate was a good choice, since padding and helmets might only get us so far. nervous laugh :eyes: I’d never seen the Arkham Knight scene, so I’m bowled over by how much I love it, and I’m a sucker for Reservoir Dogs and that song, so, I think that’s an excellent choice, as well! :heart_eyes:

@Razzzcat - To quote the scarred depths of the internet and my horrified mind: y u do dis?? :sob: :stuck_out_tongue: I vote “yea” to it staying, though. It’s perfect! :wink: @ralphsix calls it a booby trap, and I call it a land mine for the mind, lol.

@JOKERclownprinceofcrime - Hmm, always coming prepared, I see
 think you’re styaing one step ahead of all of us, eh? Well, believe me, when I tell you, “Don’t mistake our kindness for weakness,” I mean it! gives side eye :rage: Now, all of that aside, I will admit, you certainly know your audience, because a song like that is what comes to mind when I, at least, think of you. Unfortunately for you, the fact that I approve of your choice and that it’s going to be added at the list (in the middle, mind you
 not at the top) should be enough to rile you up, so
 stone, please introduce yourself to these two unsuspecting birds! :muscle:

@Pretty.Poison.Bombshell - Ooh, what a list! :slight_smile: Alas, you are quite the master at the art of the pushing of all of the buttons! As one can imagine, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy,” is already capable of thawing even the frostiest of cold shoulders, and Cyndi brought a loud, “Nonsense, there’s no fun to be had without ME. Hence the “wanna” bit!” from the side of the room, lol. “Stronger” caused a piercing set of narrowed eyes and what looks like smoke billowing from his ears, however, so we might want to duck in case something heavy’s (or sharp, considering the daggers that look’s heavy with) thrown our way. :stuck_out_tongue: Love this set of songs, thank you! :slight_smile:

@Razzzcat - While I loved the entirety of it, parts of your list (the whole one, including the side posts) make me wonder if you specialize in hypnosis, but there’s internal conflict on whether you should use your powers for good (“We are the world”) or evil (“Baby Shark”). :flushed: That said, you know, I never knew the Baby Shark song included family members like that
 ugh, it made me listen all the way through to see which were covered! Why does it have to be so catchy? It simultaneously gets stuck in your head and makes your eyes glaze over until drool starts to pool. Or, to quote the guy from the LMFAO music video for, “Everyday I’m Shuffling,” “It’ll get in your bones!” :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s strange how soothing the song by the Crash Test Dummies is
 that one really does get into your bones, but in the most pleasant of ways. It’s a very nice interlude between the tone of the other songs, and meshes well with “We Are the World.” They all work great on a party level, but I think the highs (the hypnotism of the earlier ones), lows (the slower pace of those in between), and hyper (the upbeat of Limp Bizkit) do a good job in driving Mr. J nuts, in a, “choose a tempo and stick with it!!”-like way. And, I’m glad you ended with “Nookie.” It transitions perfectly into prepping us for @DC89’s choice for the reason given below. :wink:

Did you want me to add the songs from the post you said you’d actually DJ to the list, too, by the way? If so, that’s fine with me - I like all three of them! :heart:

@DC89 - A favorite on his playlist, and now mine, too! Goodness, play that and it won’t take long before the party becomes a gleeful mosh pit (Ahem, “Don’t worry everyone, tomorrow’s bruises will be worth it for today’s moshing! And yes, yes, Mr. “Agent of Chaos,” since the bruises aren’t caused by you, you’re in the clear for our rules, calm down
 :roll_eyes: And stop handing out playing cards!”). :smiley: I think the thing he’d be least happy about is your sharing that gif, though, simply because of the delight that scene causes for so many. It’s my fav out of the movie, and I’ll never get enough of it, so
 take that Mistah J! :stuck_out_tongue:

:heart_eyes:
:laughing: That’s the exact way I react to it as well, words and all.

@Razzzcat - Aww, any time! :heart: I’m so glad you all had such a fun time of it! I hope everyone enjoys tomorrow’s theme, as well, and don’t hesitate to give feedback or suggestions for new ideas you’d like to try for future Mixtape Mondays, especially if they’re centered on specific characters and their backgrounds/personalities like this one was. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Oh NOOO! You listened?! Back at YOU: why u do dat?? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I went for a scorched earth approach to annoy every version of the Joker I could—my deepest apologies @MissInkBlot
 only to you tho. #sorrynotsorry, Mr.J. :sunglasses:

If you also think he’d hate them: yes, please!. Definitely give us more challenges like this, btw. I can’t resist a line drawn in the sand. Especially if I prob won’t be any good at it! :wink: And yes I specialize in hypnosis.

Just kidding. Or am I? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Yes. The ending of Spinning Wheel is hilarious when they say that. Love the horns in it, & I’m a sucker for the changes in any song. Reminds me of Back to the Future when Michael J. Fox says “ Just try to keep up, & watch me for the changes.” Glad u enjoyed them as much as I do :grin:!!!

3 Likes

Yeah, as a rule, I find the more upbeat and peppy an Oingo Boingo song, the darker/creepier the subject matter (and they cover some messed up topics). They’ve got several songs you could apply to Batman villains
makes a certain amount of sense that Oingo Boingo’s Danny Elfman later wrote scores for Tim Burton’s Batman films (with Boingo’s lead guitarist Steve Bartek often assisting).

4 Likes

Seems like a perfect fit

3 Likes

@MissInkBlot I’m sorry but in your message to me I didn’t know what you were saying, but I hope you weren’t mad lol

2 Likes

@Razzzcat - Aww, I listened because
 cute sharkies! There’s a even a pink and yellow one! Couldn’t help myself, lol. Also didn’t recognize the title to the first one, so that was a sucker punch to the noggin. :joy: Thankfully, it didn’t last long, so apology accepted! That gif, though! Now I’m thinking Bob’s Burgers
 and that makes me think of Archer. Ah, jeez. Time for a multi-season binge. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for if you’re kidding
 well, my radar is strongly in the “not kidding” section. Time will tell if that ever changes. :wink: Added your new songs to the list, save for Lizzo for Forum Guideline reasons, but for the record, I think he’d hate that one most
 the intro received an immediate: “Pff, I’m great at all times.” :unamused:

@capo-mage - That’s such a great connection mentioned! :hushed: And you know that means I have to go watch that, now, right? :wink: You guys sure know how to make a lock down more tolerable. :heart:

@KingOfTheWickerPeople - That’s a very good point I hadn’t thought about, nor did I put together the connection with Elfman. Wow, that re-aligns everything to a brand new perspective for me. :hushed: I’ll be on the lookout for the creepy traits found with their songs, and must say it sounds awfully similar to the conversation I had with @DeSade-acolyte on the twisted goodness of Chipmunk songs, too! Now, I’m wondering if there are other bands that do similar. :thinking: Thank you for the awesome factoids! I’m adding it to my “Today I Learned” list! :heart:

@tjm220 - Ooh, what a wonderful addition! That music video really makes it, and helps set the tone of both the song and this party! I like the notion of going “slightly” mad instead of fully
 because then the question is, on the spectrum of sanity to insanity, which is better? Being slightly mad, or fully? Or, as offered in the Joker’s case, super sane? Either way, it’s a lovely choice! Thank you for sharing it and joining in on the fun! :slight_smile:

@JOKERclownprinceofcrime - Ohh, no, I wasn’t angry at you at all, lol. I sent you the first message (about the playlist, and the one where you mentioned Partyman) out of character, since it seemed like you were posting as yourself, and sent the second response in-character, since it looked like you were in role-playing mode as Mr. J at that time (you were using “me” when saying “she’ll never be done with me,” etc). I’m so sorry for the confusion!

Ready for a new week’s theme, all? You can find it here, so have at it! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

ajm08g nervously looks around the room to see that the party is over
 Phew he thinks to himself, that was a close one. An envelope in hand, he places down on a table for @MissInkBlot to pick up later. His words reverberate in his head once more as he cautiously looks towards heading for the exit once more.

Apologies for leaving the party so soon MissInkBlot. I found our famed Commissioner Gordon and went for a ride a long. For the time being our Clown Prince of Crime is back in Arkham. :joker_ewhqtas: :sweat_smile:
Also, had the privilege of meeting the commissioner’s daughter! :heart_eyes:
Although, I couldn’t help shake the feeling of hearing the rustle of Wings and the stare of a bird of the Night while conversing with her
 :thinking: :grimacing:
Looking forward to the next party! :sunglasses: :+1:
Sincerely, ajm08g.

ajm08g heads towards the door, takes one last look back at the party floor, smiles, and exits humming a celebration song

1 Like