đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Stargirl & Starry Skies! đŸŽ¶

Greetings, Music Masters!

We hope you had as much fun with last week’s time traveling as we did! This wonderful playlist not only does a great job in honoring Scooby Doo’s first 50 years, but it lays the foundation for our anticipating another 50 more, too! See below for an example of how to show up, and show out at a party in the most fashionable of ways! :partying_face:

Show Themes
“Scooby Doo, Where Are You?” by MxPx (Theme from Scooby-Doo (2002))
“Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?” by Larry Marks (from Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (1969))
“A Pup Named Scooby-Doo,” by John Debney (from A Pup Named Scooby-Doo (1988))
“The New Scooby-Doo Movies,” by Casey Kasem (from The New Scooby-Doo Movies (1972))
Chase Theme (from Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!)
“Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?” by Matthew Sweet (from the Saturday Morning: Cartoons’ Greatest Hits Tribute Album)

The Good’uns (Our Group of Heroes + Non-Spooky Mood Setting)
“Those Meddlin’ Kids,” by The Hex Girls
“Those Nights,” by Skillet
“Star-Spangled Banner,” by Jimi Hendrix (1969 at the LA Forum)
“Time of the Season,” by The Zombies
“My Way,” by Frank Sinatra
“One Way Or Another,” by Blondie

Plus these songs, categorized by Character - Click the Arrow! :)

Daphne
“Spooky,” by Atlanta Rhythm Section

Fred
“Thank the Lord for the Night Time,” by Neil Diamond

Scooby Doo
“Are You Ready,” by AC/DC
“Hungry,” by Paul Revere & The Raiders

Shaggy
“Nowhere to Run,” by Martha and The Vandellas

Velma
“Tell Mama,” by Etta James

The Mystery Machine (Yes, certainly does count as a character :stuck_out_tongue:)
“Little Deuce Coupe,” by The Beach Boys
“Keep on Truckin’” by Eddie Kendricks

The Bad’uns (The Villains + Spooky Mood Setting)
“Bad Moon Rising,” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
“Hex Girl,” by The Hex Girls
“Season if the Witch,” by Donovan
“Grim Grinning Ghosts” (from The Haunted Mansion)
“Season of the Witch,” by Lana Del Rey
“Freaks Come Out at Night,” by Whodini
“Bump in the Night,” by allSTARS*
“Epic Halloween Medley,” by Peter Hollens
"The Legend Of Wooley Swamp,’ by The Charlie Daniels Band
“Midnight Rambler,” by The Rolling Stones
“I Can’t Get Next to You,” by The Temptations
“Monster Mash,” by Bobby Pickett
“Haunted House,” by “Jumpin’ Gene” Simmons
“One Way Or Another,” by Blondie
“Psycho Killer,” by Talking Heads

General/No Category
“I Want You Back,” by The Jackson 5
“Someday We’ll Be Together,” by Diana Ross & The Supremes
“Come Together,” by The Beatles
“Proud Mary,” by Creedence Clearwater Revival
“Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin),” by Sly and The Family Stone
“Proud Mary,” by Ike and Tina Turner

This Week’s Theme:
Stargirl & Starry Skies!

Stargirl’s touching down this week, and we’re so bubbly with excitement that you can barely keep us anchored to the ground! Are you ready for the premiere, and are there any specific aspects of the show you’re looking forward to seeing? Let us know by first telling us with your words, and then showing us with a with your song of your choice! :star_struck:

Going more general with songs about space is fine, too, by the way! Know of one that carries you to the stars, and beyond, sending you traversing between planets, galaxies, and areas of the cosmos without your ever having to leave your seat? Share those beauties below, as well! :stars:

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

8 Likes

About this week’s theme: Yup, totally picked up whatcha put down there, @Reaganfan78. :wink: Hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge, indeed! :stuck_out_tongue:

I love all things space
 so apologies in advance for my over-indulgence this week :sob: Enjoy!
To begin, this is a carryover from last week’s 60’s music because I :heart: it:

“Space Oddity,” by David Bowie

Owl City’s particularly gifted in knowing how to somehow make every song make you feel like you’re floating above earth and headed toward the atmosphere, so
 “all things Owl City” fits, but these are a few of my favs:

“Galaxies,” by Owl City

“Alligator Sky,” by Owl City

And sharing this because I like how it’s not directly related to space, but sounds like it could be, since some of it is reminiscent of those videos online that feature planet sounds (I’m thinking the “Sounds of Saturn” one, in particular). 
Also because the man staring out his window in the vid, and I, both, are pretty sure that lady’s an alien. Just sayin’. :thinking:

“When I Grow Up,” by Fever Ray

This, too, because of the “MIB” connection (lol), and because I totally vegged out to the Men In Black marathon that was on this weekend, and loved every minute of it. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

One of the best songs about space is Space Truckin’ by Deep Purple

3 Likes

Nice.

2 Likes

Well, I know absolutely nothing about Stargirl, so I’m not sure what to expect from the show, but I can probably do some space stuff

“The Asteroid Field”, by John Williams

“Left Adrift”, by Justin E. Bell

Besides both being obviously set in space
 I think these evoke “spacey” travel feelings.

5 Likes

Two songs for the first episode:

First song - Unwritten. It feels like Courtney has lived in animated suspension since the death of her father. Walking through life without socialzing with her family and looking down in her phone. Picking up the staff she starts to live for the first time in a very long time and stop walking a zombie walk through life.

Second song is dedicated to the clash between her stepfather’s desire to protect her and her own calling to be out there with the staff. Amy Studt - Just a Girl

4 Likes

Thankyou so much @MissInkBlot!!! Here’s my pick for Stargirl,

This first 1 is for Starman and Stripey, I mean S.T.R.I.P.E

Next is for Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E

And here’s for Stargirl on becoming a hero

I saw in JSA #1 that Stargirl is a fan of Backstreet Boys

And finally here’s a perfect fit for Courtney Whitmore aka Stargirl.:grinning:

I would like to add 1 final pick as a tribute to Geoff Johns’ sister who was tragically killed in a plane crash, her memory will live on forever in Stargirl, here’s Garth Brooks singing ‘The Dance.’

4 Likes

Ah yes, songs for Stargirl. :thinking:

I would have to start of with this space theme. In seeing the pilot, there is a bit of mystery and a lot of intrigue as to where the story will go with this out of this world theme. :grin:

Next, I would have to go back into my Coldplay selection list for this one. :smile:

Also made me think of the scene in Stargirl where all of the stars lit up at one point for Courtney.

And for this last one, just how fun it comes across with the mixture of instruments/beats that gave a similar feeling while watching the pilot, and the message of what a “zero” means. :thinking:

And also because of the scene where Courtney was relegated to the “loser” table when as I think the series moves along they will prove most definitely otherwise they are not! Just as the song’s main point also implies. :sunglasses: :+1:

5 Likes

I’m Just a Girl - No Doubt

Children of the Sun - Billy Thorpe

5 Likes

Hi :wave: @MissInkBlot!
Hope you’re having a good week. Hope your arms/hands have recovered from piano! I’m very familiar w/ the affliction—your pain is my pain. lol OH! And Smelly Cat is stuck in my head now. :cat2:
Ok, on to Stargirl! Here we go:

Kelly Watch the Stars- Air, literally any of their music would work, but I favor this whole album.

Gamma Ray- Beck
it’s fun. Let’s not overthink it! :dancer:t2: (Im also using this video, because MORE FRINGE!! :tada:You’re welcome.:grin:)

Promise of a New Day- Paula Abdul. I can’t explain why it immediately popped into my head?? :thinking: Perhaps it’s what I know about GJ & the characters creation, and it makes me think of my sister
who loves this song?? Plus it just always puts me in a better mood
?? Doesn’t matter, it’s here! No take-backs! Plz enjoy. :blue_heart:

5 Likes

I think that Courtney will always consider herself a SoCal person. A big city person. So I think that never leaves her. Even looking at her costume. It has a sharp line and “street flair”. So
I think of this as an internal, psychological playlist. Helping with a sense of displacement, of being a new heroine, and the secret identity that she has not only as Stargirl, but her secret identity of “never gonna be a Nebraskan”.

Masquerade by Berlin

Die Young, Stay Pretty -She knows that like Starman before her, she’s probably not going to die of old age.

The Earthquake Song - Little Girls - it has a sense of sarcasm, which I think she has. “It’s gonna kill my mom and dad, they are the only folks I had. But they better not blame me, cuz it’s not my fault”.

L. A. Woman - Billy Idol version

Superheroes from The Rocky Horror Show (The Roxy version of the stage play, not from the movie. The Roxy Theater is in LA.)

4 Likes

I haven’t watched the show yet, but in the comic she’s moved from California to Nebraska. So, California Stars by Wilco and Billy Bragg, which would represent her missing California. Oh, and it has stars in it.

3 Likes

As Stargirl is off somewhere about to fight the bad guys and right the wrongs, this song could perhaps be appropriate, Out of Limits by the Marketts.

4 Likes

I’m surprised no one took this low hanging fruit yet.

3 Likes

Space Oddity (David Bowie)
Planet Earth (Duran Duran)
Magicant theme (EarthBound)
Definitely a song from Star Fox. Your pick.
Planet Claire (B-52s)
Counting Stars(OneRepublic)
Title theme from Metroid, or the Brinstar theme.

2 Likes

lol You’re right! Like, how has no one added Lucky Star, either??

3 Likes

Of course I’m back
like a rash! :joy:
Im having a Jazz day and this happened, and it’s just too charming to not drop it here. Ok, bye. :crescent_moon:

4 Likes

@Sealingpond5 - Ah, I couldn’t agree more! That song really manages to stand out in how it takes you through different areas of the universe, from Venus to Mars, through the Milky Way, and about an Aurora Borealis, etc. The way they describe the trip gives you a taste of how much fun interstellar travel would be with them. :slight_smile: I heard the part saying, “They got music in their solar system,” and instantly thought, “Hello, Solar System, in case you didn’t know, these are earbuds, this is a music playlist, and this is the song that needs to be at the top of yours. Enjoy!” :wink: :headphones:

@LDFM - All good, I’m on the path to learning more about Stargirl, so I went the space-focused path, too. But your choices certainly didn’t disappoint this week, that’s for sure - John Williams really knows how to skillfully express the perils of traveling through some portions of space
 it’s not all pretty planets and stars, but asteroid fields to dodge your way through, as well! I like how he’s able to simultaneously make the trip both scary and thrilling at the same time. “Left Adrift” is a new one for me, though, and is startlingly beautiful and haunting, bringing to mind that feeling of awe and wariness that the ocean does - both it, and space are a wonder to gaze at, but with that beauty comes danger one must adjust accordingly to. :slight_smile:

@Pow-Pow - A wonderful song by Natasha Bedingfield, and a fantastic explanation for the choice! The transition between the two existences is an interesting one to think about. When speaking to my younger relatives, for example, they’ll basically tell me that staring at their phone is them living their best lives now, so I’m curious if they’d pick up on what you mentioned upon watching the first episode, lol. The song’s definitely a great representation of the concept, however, I agree. It provides a breath of fresh air and hope with the fact that the of our books are still unwritten. We decide what’s added to the empty pages! :open_book:

“Just a Little Girl” does an equally good job showing the conflict mentioned, as well! The beginning starting out as it does, sounding more like a children’s nursery rhyme might, provides the perfect foundation for the heavier portion where she goes into establishing that she’s not just her parents’ daughter, but her own person who has a lot to contribute to the world, and more to offer than people might think. I love the combination of songs you’ve shared! :slight_smile:

@Reaganfan78 - You’re always welcome! :slight_smile: Thank you, too, for the shout out in the check-in thread - I have to decide on a book to recommend (decisions, decisions
 :stuck_out_tongue:), so I’ll respond on there soon!

As for your songs, my goodness, that first one’s patriotic! :us: I love how it makes you want to salute, and attend a parade - I couldn’t imagine a more fitting song on your list for the concept of stars and stripes, definitely. :slight_smile: The guitar in “Only in America” is absolutely addicting, as well, leaving your toe tapping long after the song ends. The lyrics do such a superb job representing the often mentioned concept of reaching for the stars, and indeed, as you lead into with “Born to Fly,” becoming a hero, and a role model for many a fan. :star_struck:

As a lover of that Backstreet Boys song, excuse me while I swoon a bit
 :laughing: Annd, moving on from said swooning, it’s wonderful hearing LeAnn Rimes! It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to listen to her music, so that’s be a joy to listen to. It’s such an inspiring piece, and really transitions well into the sweet tribute you shared for Geoff Johns’ sister. Aww, so heartfelt and loving a song is definitely a good touch, and a great pick for the reason in mind. It’s great to see how many emotions you were able fit into one group of songs submitted - you covered everything, from the somber to the inspiring, and did so excellently! :smiley:

@ajm08g - I can’t believe I forgot about Interstellar - Hans Zimmer did such a good job with that movie, as expected, and while that song’s a tear-jerker for me in that movie due to its plot, I like how you applied it to Stargirl in an entirely different way. Completely understand what you mean by the mystery and intrigue present in it
 the crescendo that it has toward the middle of the song makes you feel as if what’s about to happen might be overwhelming, but it’s going to make for one heck of a wild, breathtaking, and awe-inspiring ride to try and hold on the reigns through. :hushed:

Coldplay knows just how to make all the stars shine brighter with their music, don’t they? I’m always bowled over by how beautiful their songs are, and that one’s a good example of why
 if you weren’t floating before, you certainly are closer to the sky after listening to it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ve never seen “Ralph Breaks the Internet,” though, but am very aware of “Wreck-It Ralph,” so that song still gives all the right fuzzies (poor guy can’t catch a break can he? Time to put that on my watch list for the week :laughing:), lol. Based on the first movie, especially, I wholeheartedly agree with your explanation, and love the feeling of comfort Imagine Dragons manages to give to the topic (they make being a zero not feel so bad, lol). :slight_smile:

@TravisMorgan - Yay! Always a pleasure to listen to No Doubt, and based on what I’ve heard of the premiere, that song fits the overall feel of the show perfectly! :smiley: It being such a upbeat, feel good song, and including some of those more otherworldly tones heard at certain parts would make it a great add for the general idea of space, along with applying to the show’s lead character. :stars: “Children of the Sun” is a delight and a half, too, with a fantastic video to accompany the singer’s expressive performance! Even without the visuals, the combination of his voice and the instruments is so well done that a good long listen to it with closed eyes makes it’s easy to imagine one’s feet lifting off the ground, so yours is a truly a celestial set of choices worth putting (and keeping) on repeat! :slight_smile:

@Razzzcat - Hey there! And thank you for the kind words! I gave the sore fingers and arms a break for the muscle memory to take hold, but it’s a short-lived one. They’re comforted by the fact that their pain is shared, though, so that’s a positive. :wink: I hope the song in your head has been replaced by something more palatable since then - I’m sorry! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ear candy doesn’t even come close to describing the loveliness that is “Kelly Watch the Stars” :hushed: I’m unfamiliar with them, so I looked up the band and got a kick out of the genre being called “space pop,” and “chillout” music - couldn’t think of a better set of genres for a theme like this! And I love the chill out portion
 it reminds me of some of the releases they play on Adult Swim on Sat nights, and epitomizes the good times that are obligation-free Saturdays, lol.

As for “Gamma Ray,” with a name like that, who can disapprove? Plus, someone floated right off into space in that video, so it’s perfect. :stuck_out_tongue: The appeal of fringe is undeniable, too
 I like that it’s not only magnetic in how it makes you want to wear some, but in how it makes you like watching other people war it. It’s the shimmy, I tell you, lol. And I can get behind “Promise of a New Day,” for multiple reasons, but one of the main ones that stands out for me is the amount of happiness the premiere of Stargirl has resulted in. With all that’s been happening in the world, seeing all of the great feedback and excitement definitely equates to a promise of a new day for me. :slight_smile:

We all need more jazz days, by the way, so thank you for inspiring one for me! I love how songs like that create visuals for the mind with their sound. In this case, for me, I can see the glow of the moon in my mind’s eye just from listening to it. It’s perfect
 and so pretty! :heart_eyes: (lol nothing like a rash, though! :stuck_out_tongue:)

@DeSade-acolyte - You know, I would’ve never thought about examining her costume in such a way, but now that I go back to look at it, I see what you mean (thank you for giving me one of those ever so enjoyable “mind blown” moments - I never pay attention to costume details, so I miss out on cool things like that :stuck_out_tongue:)! Choosing to address the theme from a psychological perspective, and so deftly doing so from so many directions really helps establish how multi-layered, and interesting a character she is.

What stands out most to me is how much is contradictory in this list of songs - not in a bad way, but, a fascinating one - for example, “Earthquake Song” is already tackled in an unexpectedly buoyant way instrumentally, but the sound of the two singers’ voices adds a double dose of the same abrupt effect. Likewise, “Die Young Stay Pretty” has a way of making a person have to come to terms with their own mortality in something of a discordant way
 the song gives off the impression that everything’s going to be okay (granted, there’s the early death part, but that’ll be okay in the end, too!). I think both do a good job showing what you described about her having to exist within a contradictory space, being a SoCal person inside but a person residing on Nebraska on the outside, and the internal conflict that’d lead to. All of that seems to culminate well in “Masquerade,” too.

That version of L.A. Woman adds a nice kick to everything, though, making the listener aware of the danger that comes with her powers - that she’s a force for good, but she’s also not the one to cross! Also reminds me of “After Dark,” by Tito & Tarantula from From Dusk Till Dawn, interestingly enough. :thinking: Ah, but The Rocky Horror Show is another one we can’t go wrong with choosing from. The pianist in that piece massages the soul, and those singing? Oh, what can be said about the talent that emanates from the speakers there? That song’s amazing
 a splendid, thought-provoking ending to an already well-crafted set of choices! :star_struck:

@McEddard - Aww, your song’s doing double duty this week, from the sound of it, and my interest was definitely piqued by your song. It’s so good! :slight_smile: You can hear the yearning in it, and the singer’s love for California in so palpable a way that I can imagine that being listened to on the way to Nebraska, and the sigh and looking out of the window it’d cause as the heartache sets in. The mention of stars is icing on the cake for this wonderful choice! :smiley:

@patterson65.37405 - Ooh, that song’s a beauty, and I’m already loving it’s overall atmosphere. It makes you think of the older crime-fighting or detective shows, so I can understand why it’s a popular choice for things like Pulp Fiction - I like where your mind went with that choice, and enjoy your focusing on her as a crime fighter bringing good into the world, almost like a cosmic pursuit of justice! :slight_smile:

@KingOfTheWickerPeople - Yes! Along with my just liking the song, you’re right, we’d be remiss not to mention “All-Star.” There are so many ways that the title and its lyrics, on their own, can fit, both for the topic of space, and because Stargirl’s our shooting star of the week, for sure! I’ve had the hardest time getting this song out of my head since they started featuring it in a commercial that’s been playing, so I consider your mentioning it to the list to be a match made in the stars. :wink: Thank you for adding it!

@TheRosses - So glad to see so many video game songs mentioned in your list
 if there’s ever a set of songs that deserves close attention, it’s those made for video games. They’re always gorgeous, and well done. :heart: And alas, it looks like we’re on the same wavelength with “Space Oddity,” which I’m pretty excited about! Have also been listening to a lot of One Republic, so “Counting Stars” has been on my radar often this past week, and I like the connection you’ve made between it, and this show. :slight_smile:

“Planet Claire” looks like it was done by the B-52s, too, so they’ll get a double mention, and with how lovely that song is, I can understand why! But, I see “Revolution Earth” as one of their songs instead of “Planet Earth” - was that what you meant by the first one? And while I’ll also choose one, do you have a favorite song from Star Fox, in general?

Thank you for the wide-ranging set of songs to listen through this week, everyone! And for those of you who’ll be checking out Episode 02 of Stargirl soon, happy watching! :partying_face:

7 Likes

@MissInkBlot @TheRosses Did you mean Planet Earth by Duran Duran?

4 Likes

My favorite SF song is the Smash version of Corneria (SF1). Look it up. (And yes, I got my artists confused. I haven’t heard either song in a while.)

2 Likes