🎶 Mixtape Monday: Happy Father's Day! 🎶

Welcome to another Mixtape Monday, everyone!

After hearing your songs last week, there’s only one thing we can say: You came, you saw, and you conquered! As if it wasn’t already clear enough, as we expected, a zombie apocalypse wouldn’t stand a chance against all of you, and we’re grateful to know we’re in your good company. Who better to trust with coming up with so daunting a playlist, for so intimidating an objective, than our team of mixers? :wink:

For the full playlist, check out the list below! :slight_smile:

“Zombie,” by Family Force 5
“Echo,” by Jason Walker
“A Thousand Miles,” by Vanessa Carlton
“The Man Comes Around,” by Johnny Cash
“Zombie Delight,” by Buck 65
“The Dead Don’t Die,” by Sturgill Simpson
“The Last of Us Theme,” by Gustavo Santaolalla (from The Last of Us)
“Cool Zombie,” by Adam Ant
“That Voodoo,” by Adam Ant
“That Voodoo,” by Adam & The Ants
“Nine Plan Failed,” by Adam & The Ants
“Animals and Men,” by Adam & The Ants
“Never Trust A Man (With Egg On His Face),” by Adam & The Ants
“Dog Eat Dog,” by Adam & The Ants
“Car Trouble,” by Adam & The Ants
“S.E.X.,” by Adam & The Ants
Zombie EP Album by The Devil Wears Prada
State of Decay 2 Main Theme,” by Jesper Kyd (from State of Decay 2)
“Hope Prevails,” by Jesper Kyd (from State of Decay )
“Zombie,” by The Cranberries
“Living Dead Girl,” by Rob Zombie
“End of the World,” by Dead by Sunrise
“Until The End,” by Breaking Benjamin
“The End is Here,” by Alter Bridge
“Help!” by The Beatles
“Never Again,” by Breaking Benjamin
“Legendary,” by Skillet
“Another One Bites The Dust,” by Queen
“Stayin’ Alive,” by The Bee Gees
“Back in Black,” by AC/DC
“Eye of the Tiger,” by Survivor
“Blaze of Glory,” by Bon Jovi
“Unholy,” by KISS
“We Hunger,” by Siouxsie and the Banshees
“Symptom of the Universe,” by Black Sabbath
“I Love the Dead,” by Alice Cooper
“Rip Her To Shreds,” by Blondie
“Waking the Dead,” by Suicidal Tendencies
“Would You Be So Hot (If You Weren’t Dead?),” by The Dammed
“Hungry Face,” by Mogwai
“In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3,” by Coheed and Cambria
“No Cure For The Lonely (Swans),” by Nadja
“Burial,” by Archangel
“The End of Radio,” by Shellac
“Zombi,” by Goblin (from Dawn of the Dead)
“Tonight (We’ll Make Love Until We Die),” by SSQ (from Return of the Living Dead)
“His Eyes,” by Pseudo Eyes (from Friday The 13th: A New Beginning)
“Thriller,” by Michael Jackson
“Night of the Living Dead,” by The Misfits
“Re: Your Brains,” by Jonathan Coulton
“Bury Our Friends,” by Sleater-Kinney
“Smells Like Teen Spirit,” by Los Straitjackets
“Jennifer’s Body,” by Hole
“Fire With Fire,” by The Gossip
“Eye of the Beholder,” by Metallica
“Don’t Stop Me Now,” by Queen (from Shaun of the Dead) - cuz I can! :stuck_out_tongue:
“One (Is the Loneliest Number),” by Three Dog Night
“No One Lives Forever,” by Oingo Boingo
“Zombie,” by Michale Graves
“Still Dawn,” by Makoto Tomozawa, Akari Kaida, and Masami Ueda (from Resident Evil)
“March of the Dead,” by Danny Elfman (from Army of Darkness)
“Zombie Zoo,” by Tom Petty
“Singing in the Rain,” Gene Kelly
“Everything Is Awesome (Tween Dream Remix),” by Garfunkel & Oates with Eban Schletter (from The LEGO Movie 2)
“My Way,” Frank Sinatra
“Surprise! You’re dead!” by Faith No More
“Symphony of Destruction" by Megadeth
“Soldier At War,” by Ben Wiggins (from Anna and the Apocalypse)
“Disaster Party,” by Magic Giant
“Friend of the Devil,” by The Grateful Dead
“Zombie,” by Bad Wolves
“Dark,” by Breaking Benjamin
"I Stand Alone, by Godsmack
“Digging My Own Grave,” by Five Finger Death Punch
“I Am Machine,” by Three Days Grace
“What if God Was One Of Us,” by Joan Osborne

This Week’s Theme:
Happy Father’s Day!

DC Universe would like to wish all of you an early Happy Father’s Day, and in preparation for it, we’re at it again with plans for another playlist - this week’s theme is devoted to the much-deserving Dads of DC Universe, and the praise-worthy men in each of our own lives who’ve made a lasting impression on our hearts! :heart:

Remember, you’re free to choose songs for one, or multiple characters, but can also spend your time and selections focusing on and devoting songs to the fathers, brothers, husbands and others you know. Both choices are welcome, and we look forward to hearing what comes to mind when planning out a memorable playlist for the dads you love!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines, the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post a track of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the full list of tunes collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

6 Likes

As with Mother’s Day, going to go with two songs this week…

with “Seein’ My Father In Me,” by Paul Overstreet for a song from child to dad:

and “Just the Two of Us,” by Will Smith for one from the perspective of dad to child:

7 Likes

Oh I’m gonna love this!:grinning:

1 Like

I don’t think I have any character songs this week… but I can share some stuff that my dad likes. If you ask him what his favorite song is, he’ll say something like “the next one on the radio…”
“Do It Again”, by Steely Dan

“Beautiful Day”, by U2

4 Likes

Oh! my Pa Pa Eddie Fisher
everything I own Bread
Father and son Cat Steven

3 Likes

I had to reach way back for this one, but the title of course says it all. It’s Daddy by Sammy Kaye and his Orchestra.

4 Likes

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there, here’s some of my picks, I hope you’ll like it.
Here’s a Song by Hank Williams Sr, it may sound a little corny, but it is a good old song.:cowboy_hat_face:

While the song has nothing to do with fathers, the music does, with Hank Jr. Singing a duet with his dad Hank Sr.!

Here’s a song by George Strait, best day where how much he love to be with his Dad.

Here’s a very sad and beautiful song by Ashley Gearing, she lost her father at a very young age.

Ok I want to end this on a happy note, Here’s Buddy the elf singing a telegram to his dad! Let’s just say his father wasn’t that impress!

And Here’s some more music I’m going to be adding, starting with Joey+Rory.

And here’s a classic song by the one and only, Johnny Cash!

And here’s from Les Misérables movie with Hugh Jackman’s character finally has Cossette as his daughter.

I had to add this classic song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Here’s from Phantom of the opera with Christine wishing she could see her father again.

And finally here’s a perfect song from a classic John Wayne movie.:cowboy_hat_face:

I just have to add 1 more, here’s Amy Grant.

4 Likes

This one’s a real heartbreaker, but it’s so well done I had to throw it out there. Just one of many amazing songs Kesha’s released in the last few years

4 Likes

From Damian Wayne, to Bruce:

In homage to the Ambassadors on Flash, this is from Barry

To my pal Buddy Baker, remember all the times you were relevant?

From Jor El, remember, with new places comes new opportunity

For the F’ed up Wilson family

When Connor finds out his dad left the Arrowverse

For Black Lightning

From Supes to Jon

Vertigo: Lucifer to God

The lessons Cain instilled in Cass

6 Likes

Father’s Day is a mixed bag. I’ve tried to mix things up a bit, but it does get kinda dark. Such is the way of things. Sometimes relationships with one’s father can be…interesting, and I’ll just leave it at that.

A son’s remembrance.
My Old Man - Ian Dury

What would Father’s day be with out father/daughter duet.
Valley Girl - Frank and Moon Unit Zappa

For all those kids of supervillains that got caught.

Bankrobber - The Clash

Race With The Devil - Gene Vincent

I fought the law - The Clash

Each disturbing in their own special way.

My Heart Belongs To Daddy - Marilyn Monroe

Cherry Bomb - The Runaways

Running From Your Dad - Bowling For Soup

When being a parent was just the wrong choice.

Too Much Too Young - The Specials

We’re A Happy Family - The Ramones

Abuse and violence should never happen, but, unfortunately, it does.
Hell Is For Children - Pat Benatar

An abusive father can change your point of view on the world.
Live & Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings

Hoping one’s father didn’t pass out drunk, way past the point when the test pattern would come on the tv, with a cigarette and set the house on fire.
Fade away and radiate - Blondie

When one’s father loved the booze more than anything else, including the kids.
Social Disease - Elton John

The questions you ask yourself when your when your father is a racist, sexist, homophobe.
People Are People - Depeche Mode

And to end on a fun note…although this is probably generational…that look on your dad’s face when you come home with your 3rd grade math homework. In trying to help you, they just end up befuddled.
New Math - Tom Lehrer

5 Likes

Wow! Thank you all so much for this playlist!

5 Likes

Ah Father’s Day. Looks like I will be doing a combination for what my dad likes and how I could also imagine it working for Clark and his Super Dad Jonathan. :superman_hv_4:
(I will admit early on in life I did not have an ear for country, but as time rolled on I did gain more of an appreciation for it… Well, what he would consider “real” country. :sweat_smile: Fascinating sounds those banjos and steel guitars make. :sunglasses: :+1:)

First up, would have to be this tune with the Kents being from a small town in Kansas and how Jonathan would use those small town ideals to shape Clark to be the Superman he would be later. :superman_hv_3:

Next, this tune is one I like to think as to one of the many lessons Jonathan would have also passed on to Clark in his own way. (Clark would definitely see some fire from Lois for sure. :smile:)

This next one had me thinking of the days of Smallville again with Clark driving that old red pickup at times to the other pickup trucks he would drive as well. Definitely reminded me of the first times my dad also was teaching me to drive.

This one had me thinking about the time in Man of Steel when Clark went out on his journeys before eventually coming home. Even though Jonathan at that time was no longer there, I’m sure he and Martha would have let him know that he “can always come home.” Much in the same manner that also worked out in Smallville as well.

And finally, (Phew, has someone been cutting onions in here or what? :cry:) in also thinking about those trucks, the lessons Jonathan must have given Clark about being responsible with them, and also in learning about his abilities as well, has this song come to mind for those times Clark raised “a fuss and holler.” :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @000111kiras.46749! Glad you are enjoying the tunes of the playlist! :superman_hv_4:

4 Likes

Metallica Whiskey in a jar o

4 Likes

My first pick goes out to Animal Man. Honestly, I think he may be the best dad in the DC Universe. Or, rather, being a dad and a superhero has worked better for him publication-wise than most superhero dads. This song is a heartfelt wish for a good home for your family even if you are a dad who rejects materialism:

This next song goes out to my favorite character: Superman. Much like Pa Kent, Clark tends to be the father that’s quick with advice. This song’s lyrics read like a father giving advice to his child. Also, I think there is a possibility that Kryptonians do stay forever young:

Sometimes you don’t always see eye to eye with your father. Brainwave, Jr. certainly doesn’t with his father, the original Brainwave. Still, at the end of the day, your dad’s your dad. It’s healthy to let go of some of those old grudges as you get older:

This last one is for my dad. We do not share many opinions on music, but we both like Paul Simon’s Graceland. It’s a great album that incorporates world music and reflections on a recent divorce. This one’s about taking a trip to Graceland with his son:

5 Likes

Just Breathe - Willie Nelson & Lukas Nelson (Pearl Jam cover)
There is a studio recording where Willie Nelson sings the first verse. However, I feel it to be a bit more powerful hearing Lukas Nelson sing the first verse as the first line is “Yes, I understand that every life must end.” This line gets me everytime as Lukas looks at his father and sings.

Bob Dylan & The Band - Forever Young
A father’s wish for his child.

Grateful Dead - Box of Rain
A song written by Phil Lesh and Robert Hunter for Phil’s dying father.

7 Likes

Part 2

Bruce and Thomas

Hal and his Pops

To due better justice to Mr Baker

4 Likes

Father and Son by Cat Stevens
And I cant believe no one has mentioned Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin ( not a positive father song, but still).

3 Likes

Hey @MissInkBlot!
My little heart strings are being tugged again. Ok, here we go. For a redwood among sprouts and one of a kind. :beers: to fathers and daughters. Happy Fathers Day.
(queue tears) :blue_heart:

I’ve Gotta Be Me- Sammy Davis Jr.

Let it Be- from Pickin On Series, ‘cause I like fun covers remember? :wink:

Little Star- Madonna. All come w/ a very specific memory, btw, but these also all capture his greatest gifts to me in a nutshell…and he loved these songs.

If I Can Dream- Elvis

Now let’s have some fun…cruisin’ w/ papà :oncoming_automobile: :palm_tree::cup_with_straw:
(What a) Wonderful World- Sam Cooke

Valerie (‘68 Version)- Amy Winehouse.

Come on, Let’s go- Ritchie Valens, 1st song I learned every part.

Green River- CCR

Ps. Hint: :heart::shushing_face::orangutan::package: Hope you got it. Take care.

8 Likes

Ok, I gotta add this one

Even though they aren’t related to us biologically, we all understand the influence and time of a surrogate father.

The Robins over the years put Bats into this role, and seek his approval. It is restless work, leaving them feeling insufficient, inferior, and

6 Likes