Dear DC Diary

Dear Journal

I wonder why younger DC fans adore the Batman, and more seasoned DC fans don’t like it at all, I’ve never seen such a big generational divide over a movie before.

6 Likes

i wouldn’t say i don’t like it at all! i gave it 3 stars out of 5. but i think most people just naturally gravitate towards the stuff we find when we’re younger. a lot of people who grew up with Batman '66 didn’t seem to like the one of my youth, Batman '89. i remember my friend’s mom saying it was “too dark.”

7 Likes

I will say it-

I have seen many DC movies way darker than The Batman.

6 Likes

I read more Justice Society.

5 Likes

I might make a whole thread on this.

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

That’s generous. I probably give it 2 stars, and that’s only because parts of it looked cool.

I’m not usually very vocal about my dislikes, but when it comes to this one I can’t help myself. I wanted to like it. Tried to like it. Even convinced myself that I enjoyed it more on the second watch… but no… not my cup o’ tea.

@MatthewHecht It’s not so much darkness as in “dark themes” but more along the lines of boring emo brooding.

4 Likes

Is my brooding too dark?

S115

6 Likes

if this is in reference to what my friend’s mom said, she was talking about Batman '89 (probably relative to '66). and she might have meant it literally :laughing:

@moro as annoyed as i was that i felt like they were wasting a batman movie, i thought it was a pretty ok generic suspense thriller :laughing: but a vocal contingent has been asking for YEARS for a Batman movie that’s a mystery and he’s “the world’s greatest detective,” and my question was always, why don’t you just watch one of the hundred detective mystery movies and shows released every year???

5 Likes

I think I would indeed consider Batman to be a darker movie than The Batman. Before actually making the thread I do have to rewatch The Batman.

7 Likes

i think i’d agree. while '89’s campy, it also has, in my opinion, a stronger strain of horror in there.

5 Likes

I think it is simply quicker but more effective with its dark scenes like “Gotham’s Greed.”

4 Likes

now that’s indisputable :laughing:

4 Likes

He’s the world’s greatest detective. I get it. It’s but one of his abilities though, and building a movie around it can get mundane. It’s like saying Supes is the man of steel and making a movie where all he does is deflect bullets and carry heavy objects. Last thing I want is a Batman movie where he spends half the movie deciphering what ratatouille means. Anyhow, I don’t begrudge the movie its success, and I’m happy for the all the folks that like it.

4 Likes

Stargirl can brood all she wants. Just don’t bore me to death.

3 Likes

Because I’m here to see Batman solve crimes, not a regular detective.

5 Likes

:laughing:

6 Likes

(Not saying that I wouldn’t watch a regular detective show made by DC, please give me a Question TV show DC I beg of you.)

7 Likes

I was super hyped for The Batman when it came out, but when I finally watched it, it was…fine. I was not expecting it to leave such a small impression on me. All of the technical aspects were great, but the writing, what could have actually made it compelling, was not very good at all. For nearly the entire film I was bored out of my mind, and the stupid “rat” subplot was so dumb that it hurts.

8 Likes

I really liked The Batman. It makes me feel beautifully angsty, and this movie is one of the very few I have ever watched that really made me feel immersed in the world of the movie. I will also say, I have an incredibly low bar for enterrainment and also an overactive brain, so I understand how so many others really didn’t care for the movie.

7 Likes

Dear DC Diary,

As long as we’re all still weighing in, I absolutely loved The Batman and it continues to baffle me that so many people on this site didn’t

7 Likes