DC Movies Darker than The Batman

I kept hearing it is the Darkest DC Movie ever, thus I went through the whole list to see how often I disagree like I previously promised.

Superman and the Mole Men

Superman

Batman Returns

Super-dead-beat-dad Returns

Man of Steel

Shazam

Mask of the Phantasm

The Killing Joke

Batman Beyond Return of the Joker

Justice League Crisis on Two Earths

Batman Under the Red Hood

Superman Vs. The Elite

The Dark Knight Returns Part I

The Dark Knight Returns Part II

Batman Vs. Robin

Justice League Gods and Monsters

Batman Gotham by Gaslight

Justice League Dark Apokolips War

Green Lantern Beware my Power

I found a few others to be on the same level of darkness.

Batman

The Dark Knight

Watchmen

Superman Doomsday

Justice League The Flashpoint Paradox

Son of Batman

Justice League vs. Teen Titans

Batman and Harley Quinn

Superman Red Son

Lego DC Superheroes: Aquaman: The Rage of Atlantis

Out of 104 DC movies I have seen that is 19 darker than it or 18.27% and and ten more at the same level for an additional 9.6%

This made me realize that when I think of how dark a movie is the first thing I look for is fighting within a family.

6 Likes

Watchmen probably, right I mean Ive never seen or read it, but everyone dies right?

3 Likes

The main and most popular character dies. Many characters and people live. At least for now. What is one more on top of the foundation?

2 Likes

I thought Peter Cannon Thunderbolt ripoff guy blew up the planet or something. Guess I was wrong.

3 Likes

You were wrong. That is Power Rangers Dino Charge

4 Likes

The answer has got to be Justice League Dark: Apokolips War

4 Likes

If only I was in that movie. I would have fixed everything.

4 Likes

May wanna break each one down tbh.

Personally, I do not see Batman Returns as all that dark. Yes, for time I recall the context and the complaints. Even after the first film in '92, people still expect something akin to Adam West. Penguin comes off as a poon hound and talks about blowing up children genitalia and what not. People die! Batman comes off as very devil-may-care when it comes to the lives of criminals. Part of it though is the cold, wintery palette though.

I must agree with Kevin Smith in that the film is kinda the beginning of the end into camp, NOT Schumacher. And I like how Glenn Weldon summed up the film in The Caped Crusade: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture as ‘aggressively silly’. If anything, it’s dark in the 90s, edgy sense of dark.

2 Likes

That would take too long, and some are very obvious like Superman and the Mole Men.

Many people are that way. Pat views it as a hilarious comedy.

2 Likes

It’s more of a Heathers dark, not so much a Memento dark.

3 Likes

This is the funniest post about Watchmen I’ve ever read

5 Likes

Sometimes you just have to post the first thing that comes to mind.

4 Likes

It really is kinda dark if you think about it. Well at least darker than the 1st Michael Keaton Batman

Some dark movies do not require stopping think, they are just bleak.