DC Fan Art Club

Thank you! I love Manet. Trying to get better at painting people by recreating masters.

3 Likes

You are welcome. Looking at the ā€œold mastersā€ is good practice.

2 Likes

Would anyone be opposed to me posting a bit of writing in the hope of inspiring some art Iā€™m dying to see some of this rendered and was hoping I could find someone to help

4 Likes

@DCFanArtClub

Two Polls
(Because I donā€™t want to make decisions for the group without your input)

The Question

1. How do you feel about a thread in the main community area where people can post art requests? Per the community rules, you canā€™t solicit them for :moneybag:, so itā€™s just for fun.
But who knows? You might pick up fans or clients down the road

• Yay!
  • Nay!
  • Other (comment, please!)

0 voters

2. Would you like a DCFAC art thread in the main community area where members can post non-challenge artwork? The mods encourage us to avoid double posting when possible, so if you post your artwork in this thread, assume you shouldnā€™t build a second thread showcasing the same work.

Edit: If you vote ā€œNoā€ but the ā€œYesā€ vote wins, you donā€™t have to post in the group thread. This is mostly to help me gauge interest.

• Yes, letā€™s get all membersā€™ artwork showcased in one spot
  • No, I prefer to keep my art to my own threads

0 voters

Both of these were based off of community requests. If anyone else has additional suggestions for the club, send them my way! Keeping the poll open until Friday, March 20.

6 Likes

iā€™m glad youā€™re back, boss! and on the ball!

2 Likes

@biff_pow Thank you! Andā€¦ sorta! If by on the ball, you mean something likeā€¦

me

6 Likes

@DCFanArtClub - few important announcements!

1. Our first monthly challenge ends this Tuesday!
  • Not going to be finished on time, but definitely want to contribute? Give me a headā€™s up. I will take that into account before assembling the final entries for display.
  • Want to submit a second piece? Go ahead and make a claim for one of our leftover Robins.
  1. msgtv is organizing a huge round of club trivia this weekend. Iā€™m afraid to commit because of work, but if one or two of you would like to jump in in my stead, raise your hand!
10 Likes

Hey artists just DM me a good quiz question maybe using an art image and weā€™ll use it.

5 Likes

I feel really lost lol. Not your fault mine for sure what is the challenge for this month?

2 Likes

@gilbertsanchez2.31878

No worries! It was to pick a Robin from this list and then submit it by the 31st:

DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, March 2020

2 Likes

Iā€™ve drawn and scrapped about 5 pieces for this so far. Iā€™ll be finishing it, but I apologize if itā€™s a few days late. Iā€™ve been doing the weekly challenges, then work seems to get in the way.

4 Likes

@MichaelLakeArt I admire your dedication! And no problem. Ty for letting me know!

4 Likes

No prob!

3 Likes

Iā€™m incredibly late in replying to this, but this looks awesome! Please feel free to share more! I promise the club members are more on top of things than I am.

2 Likes

@DCFanArtClub,

Hello, and happy Saturday! For those of you out there still working, thank you for your service amid the chaos. Youā€™re keeping society functioning as the rest of us wear sweatpants and flannel like a second skin.

Weā€™ve had a sudden influx of members, so I wanted to share a few reminders and a poll to gauge everyoneā€™s experience with the club.

Announcements

1. The mods encourage that we donā€™t double post (meaning, art that shows up in the Community threads shouldnā€™t also appear in the Fan Creations section). That said, I understand people want a lot of exposure, and not all community members wander into the clubs section of DCU. A few ideas for how to help with thisā€¦
  • When posting non-challenge art in Everything DC > Fan Creations, feel free to link back to your Weekly Challenge entries. ā€œSee more of my stuff here!ā€, etc.

• Spread the love. If you create multiple entries for a weekly challenge, post 1 to our group, and post the other in Fan Creations.

1. Todayā€™s weekly challenge has been postponed so that those working on their entry for the Robin Monthly Challenge have extra time to finish up.

2. We now have a sketch-dump thread in the Fan Creations section. This is the place to dump sketches and doodles that you want to share but not necessarily spotlight in a solo thread.

3. Thanks and congrats to @EasternShoreSpeedster for being the first to offer her talents to our new-ish requests thread!

4. Anyone can submit challenge ideas by direct messaging me! Even if youā€™re a lurker and not one of our artists, feel free to speak up!

Polls
(My skin is as thick as Crocā€™s. Be honest.)

1. How do you feel about club communications/notifications?
    This means all the times I @ the group.
  • Too often
  • OK
  • Not enough; I keep missing announcements when you donā€™t use it

0 voters

1. Is it helpful to have people use the #dcfac hashtag when posting their art?
  • Yes, it makes it easier to find fellow clubmembersā€™ work
  • No, it gets mixed up with official club announcements. Create a different tag for membersā€™ artwork.

0 voters

1. The weekly challenges areā€¦
  • Too difficult or specific
  • A-OKAY
  • Too frequent! Once a week is too much

0 voters

1. I think these pollsā€¦
  • Are a good way to discover membersā€™ preferences
  • Are just CynicalPinkā€™s way of putting off working on her challenge entries

0 voters

5 Likes

i think a different tag for individual entries would be useful, personally, but i donā€™t feel strongly about it!

and this idea isnā€™t strictly club related, but i wonder if it might be more organized if artists who showcase our work in the fan creations section just had one personal thread where we posted our own artwork as replies, rather than as individual new threads? that way itā€™d all be in one place, with the added benefit of not crowding out/pushing down other threads. just an idea!

3 Likes

The Club Directory section here always confused me. I just click when I see the tag and I sometimes just scroll down and look for dc fan art threads to like peopleā€™s drawings.

2 Likes

@biff_pow TY for the idea! The crowding/pushing down of other threads is my biggest concern. Applejack and the others are extremely cool about the double-post rules but have specified several times that they prefer clubs to keep to the community space. On the flip side, Iā€™ve had some members mention theyā€™re worried that ā€œgroupā€ threads will cause their artwork to be lost in the flood. :sweat_drops: Itā€™s one of those canā€™t please everyone situations, but Iā€™m trying!

@seitan I think a lot of people operate that way. I tend to click on ā€œEverything DCā€ and scroll through the whole bunch, rather than using the directory.

2 Likes

Hehehe thanks! :sweat_smile: just kidding (about the last pole) by the by you are the best for putting this club together (and always replying) I feel like Im improving my skills little by little. :grin:

3 Likes

Dang. I messed up my monthly (and deleted it out of anger), but Iā€™ve got two days! I can do itā€¦I think. Iā€™m like 67% sure of myself.

6 Likes