DC Fan Art Club: October 2022 Spotlight- DC vs Vampires, Task Force Z and Deadman!

Hi @DCFanArtClub and welcome to the spookiest (and best!) month of the year!
Last month we had 3 topics around movies and animation, but this month it’s all comics with 2 new series and one blast from the past (or risen from the grave).

DC vs Vampires has 5 issues so far on DCUI (with issue six due in a few weeks).
After the first issue you can tell this is an alternate universe/Elseworlds/Black Label type of tale which really makes things more suspenseful. Anything can happen and usually does in creepy, bloody fashion.

Good question Batman! Every issue has some shocking content and is perfect to read in October. The art by Otto Schmidt has a moody, stylized look that fits the story really well. Just don’t get too attached to any characters (especially Zan from the Wonder Twins).

Task Force Z is a suicide squad type of group led by Red Hood that just happens to have reanimated corpses as members. This seems like DC’s way to kill off and bring back big name characters like Bane, Man-Bat, the Arkham Knight and a certain classic Suicide Squad member (who’s on the cover of issue 3). Six issues are currently available on DCUI.

The art by Eddy Barrows has some really dynamic layouts and amazing creepy details. If drawing zombie Bane isn’t your thing, look into Mr Bloom. A lot of opportunity for creepy art with Mr Bloom!

Any incarnation of Deadman is eligible, but I’m particularly thinking of the Kelley Jones version.
So unique, so creepy and so perfect for Halloween. It’s a weird combination of skeleton, muscle and shadow that should be a good challenge to draw.

There are 2 miniseries here on DCUI (both for mature readers) where you can dig up some reference.

Deadman: Love After Death
Deadman: Exorcism

As always, try your hand at any or all of these topics throughout the month of October. Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: October 31, 2022
Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Other Halloween/October activities on DCUI this month:

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

12 Likes

Ready to tackle the creepy side!
My drawings sometimes lean that way anyway and I can make good use of shading

6 Likes

Awesome™:halloween_batman:

Definitely have some some ideas.

3 Likes

:raised_hands: love this tall creep. Gives me doll vibes. Plus zombie Floyd is just sad and perfect. Thanks for putting this one up here.

3 Likes

Stef!!! So glad to see you back! How’re you doing?

3 Likes

Happy Birthday @stefanie.m! :fire:

Hope you have a great day celebrating! :clark_hv_4:

5 Likes

Happy Birthday! @stefanie.m :partying_face:

5 Likes

Happy birthday @stefanie.m!

3 Likes

:birthday: Happy Birthday @stefanie.m :birthday:

4 Likes

Hey Cap!! Its been a rough few months but Inktober/halloween is my fav time of the year so decided to jump back in. Cant wait to see everyones art again! Also thanks for the birthday wishes :partying_face:

4 Likes

Thank you @ajm08g @cici ! Baby Etrigan is just too precious.

@NYJt3 tiny hat is too funny and adorable on his grump face. Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi everyone. Kelley Jones tweeted that he has a NEW Deadman story coming out on Oct 10 in DC’s Terrors Through Time Halloween special this year. How cool is that!

https://twitter.com/kelleyjonesart/status/1576627056984498176?s=20&t=2UupsCAqrN1GKfeDwXnxUQ

8 Likes

Awesome™:+1:
Cool coincidence with it lining up with challenge​:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Happy belated birthday @stefanie.m !!!

5 Likes

For the first part of this challenge, I knew I wanted to tackle Nightwing as I found it very creepy cool that he became this dark vampire king. I have not read the series but the image of him ripping out Batman’s heart stuck with me. This got me to thinking of another cool DC vampire story, Batman Red Rain. No one does creepy visuals better than Kelley Jones.
Here was my reference:

Here’s my homage:

8 Likes

Very cool! You’ve got the Kelley Jones muscles and shadows looking really good there.

Funny thing, I actually had Batman Red Rain as the third topic this month, but then I figured maybe that would be too many vampires (can there ever be too many vampires??) so I kept Kelley Jones and switched to Deadman!

5 Likes

woah that looks awesome!

3 Likes

I am in heaven right now.
I shared this homage on Twitter and tagged the master artist himself and he liked it…cool.

4 Likes

Awesome news and well deserved!!

3 Likes

I think we can trust this guy, right?? Sure…

Here is Mr Bloom.

8 Likes