DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, January 2021

January2021Banner

Another year, another series of monthly challenges! We’re kicking off 2021 with a prompt submitted by @RobArt471. Keep reading to see what creative muscles the @DCFanArtClub will be flexing for January. がんばって!

Challenge:

Draw a DC character or scene in anime or manga style!

Japanese comics and animation come in a wide variety. The series (or artist) whose spirit you try to capture is up to you. However, to keep in line with the forum’s fan art rules, please DO NOT replicate the composition/content of a non-DC property.

For example, you can draw Clark Kent with the simple but expressive lines of Akira Toriyama, but don’t illustrate Superman kamehameha-ing Darkseid.

Due: January 31, 2021
Submit: You can submit your work here whenever you’re ready!

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

10 Likes

Oh, PS! I realize not everyone has read anime or manga. Maybe some of these links can help:

There’s more to the style than big shiny eyes, so if you need any suggestions, I might be able to pluck out some names from what I know about your personal styles. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sweet! I have been looking forward to this possibility! I have never done anime style before except a Goku and a couple of My Hero Academia characters for my kids. And those turned out more my style than anime.

受け入れました!

5 Likes

Yay yay yay! So excited for this one!! :star_struck:

4 Likes

@RobArt471 & @Hyperia90 Glad you’re excited for it! My biggest challenge is going to be picking which DC character to try. :thinking:

6 Likes

Same!

Just asked my relis for the first DC characters they thought of and I got : Batman, Martian Manhunter & Forager. So I guess that’s settled.

4:15pm 1/1/2021

6 Likes

I was just talking to my daughter about that very thing! She may give it a try too! Anime is her thing.

6 Likes

Oooh, any of those would be great, but I bet you could have a lot of fun with colors using Forager.

5 Likes

Aw, yay! That makes me happy to have her back!

5 Likes

I think I’m going to pick a character who’s usually depicted on the visually harsher side and give them a Kawaii makeover.

9 Likes

ha

i love this prompt @RobArt471!

6 Likes

I love this idea!

tbd2

7 Likes

:rofl:lolzzz

4 Likes

I thought that was melissa joan hart (no idea how to spell her name) for a second

4 Likes

@CynicalPink I will admit, this challenge scares me. I have never drawn in that style and need to find my hook to get into it.

4 Likes

I’ve never drawn Japanese style before but always wanted too. This is going to be fun.
Like every has said the hard part is choosing who to do​:sweat_smile:.

4 Likes

I hope you have fun with it! Let me know if I can help at all with finding some examples that might be of interest, though that top 50 list might be a good place to start :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I might wind up using that random DC character generator to make up my mind :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I haven’t participated on a challenge here yet but new year new challenges so I might actually give this a go!

4 Likes

would love to have ya! :smiley:

3 Likes