DC Fan Art Club: Monthly Challenge, January 2021

giphy (1)

Can I just ask for fun?

This is a fantastic challenge and there’s some pretty good examples in that top 50 list CP!

Cannot wait. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I realize the gif was probably chosen at random, but those were two of my favorite characters back in the day :laughing:

And sure! Soon as I get on the computer I can pick a few that I think would work well with your style (just for fun!)

3 Likes

Cause theyre adorable no doubt :grin:

You’re the best!

3 Likes

I think I’m going with Kate Kane in revolutionary style.

6 Likes

Duuuuudddee​:heart_eyes::raised_hands:

2 Likes

Some great styles being brought to light here!

I think I am going to try some Miyazaki inspired art. I have loved Miyazaki forever and ever. Maybe a Princess Mononoke or Howl’s Moving Castle homage. Just got to pick the right character(s) to use to pull it off!

5 Likes

Ooohh…that could be so dope!

3 Likes

Noice! Both great movies, honestly any of Miyazaki stuff is gorgeous and so is your work! Looking forward to what you come up with!!

tumblr_njfaxdbP6Y1s61jemo1_500

Also now I want to watch all the movies
tenor

4 Likes

Man, I don’t even know if I really have my own style, let alone be able to really do someone else’s, but I’ll give it a go. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Haha, I was just watching myself to get the creative juices flowing! Great minds!

BTW: They are all on HBO Max. It has subsection just for Studio Ghibli!

3 Likes

Oh, no, they’re manipulative jerks. But fun manipulative jerks. :laughing:

That idea is perfect!

:smiley: As a fan, I say you can’t go wrong with Miyazaki. Spirited Away is my fav. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Jiji! Another favorite character! I realize by yelling this constantly, it makes my love sound super fickle.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen this myself, and there are so many artists assigned to the series over its decades of success that I couldn’t pick just one, but I think the way you draw faces shares some similarities to the art from Lupin III:

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 1.07.25 PM

Though now that you’ve picked Utena for Kate, I’m so glad you found your own reference to draw from!

3 Likes

Oooo can’t believe lupin didn’t cross my mind, kate would look boss in one of those suits. May have to do both :+1: great suggestion!

2 Likes

I immediately thought of this style for you. Your anatomy is so precise.

2 Likes

You know me well, thanks! I almost went with a Fist of the Northstar homage!!

Imagine Daiman in battle torn togs and all and that’s where I was going to go with it.

3 Likes

Anime?! DC!? Oh no @RobArt471 This is my brand!! :clap::clap::clap: Thank you for this prompt!

I hope I have time to make something, if not I’m very eager to see everyone’s work!

6 Likes

@cici I hope you get time, would love to see yours! After seeing your recent stuff during the holidays, I think they will rock!

5 Likes

Thanks! When I was little I wanted to draw like anime so badly but never really could get (what I thought) was anime style right. Soon after I found Jim Lee’s work and it was like a lightbulb going off with his mix of stylization and realism. I still don’t think I have that anime-ish of a style but it definitely influences my art very very much

4 Likes

Your art reminds me more of manwa (no idea if im spelling that right… manwha? manwah? manhwa? damn you, cell phone. Whichever one is Korean comics, not Japanese or Chinese) than anime, but I wouldn’t call your style anime-ish, either. It’s distinctive, but largely your own.

manwa/hwa/wha/wah:

From what I’ve seen of it (which is admittedly little), it has a lot of the angular facial lines of anime/manga characters, but with eyes and expressions that remind me more of western comics.

4 Likes

You are so right, it does!! There is an awesome K-drama(live action) called “W”. It is about a Manhwa that kinda comes to life and has some great manhwa art in it. @cici you totally could have been the artist on the show! I highly recommend it if the pandemic has you looking for a show to watch and don’t mind subtitles. There is a lot more to the show, but here is not the place for it.

A taste:

3 Likes