Monthly Art Challenge: January Submission Thread. がんばって!

You do not have to be club member to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Line
Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines.

6 Likes

the two anime styles I’m most fond of come from lupin the third and cyber six ( guess I like TMS animation) so I aimed for somewhere in the middle. While mine looks cartoony…I’m not sure it looks “anime.”

13 Likes

It’s not super sparkling magical girl shoujo, but you tried something new and made a beautiful piece of fanart as a result! It’s cool to see your own style coming through in a different way. The exaggerated proportions remind me a bit of Samurai Jack, and the texture work you did on the background really lets the viewer feel the chill of that blast of wind. Perfect for January!

7 Likes

iiii loooove iiiiiit

giphy (14)

8 Likes

I’m so hype on this piece @Z-A-C! Wow, what a cool vibe :point_left: pun intended! :sunglasses: Blue monochrome is a really powerful effect that is vibrating off the page with that haunting expression and lighting. The opening looks a bit like billowing blowing curtains and I love how that adds to the overall tone. Great closeup too! I agree with @CynicalPink that it has a hint of Samurai Jack to it - I thought the same thing as soon as I saw it. Kicking off the new year right! Thank you for sharing!

7 Likes

Dude, I really like this a lot!! I love the effects with the light! Also, I get the whole Gendy Tartakovsky feel from it like Jack and Primal. We can call it “American Anime”!

I had the same issue capturing the “anime” style. See below:

6 Likes

Here is my Hayao Miyazaki homage. I am not confident enough to color this myself. So, I am sticking with b&w. It was so much fun and I loved creating the tree. Howl’s castle was super fun too!!

Not sure this constitutes anime though. This is more Rob-yazaki style. A may do another more anime style. It is hard to break style, gosh.

12 Likes

Really like the shading on this. Well done.

6 Likes

Did a quick second one, that feels more “anime” to me.

13 Likes

Thanks! :+1:

5 Likes

Agreed, nicely done! Nice colors, too! :+1:

6 Likes

@RobArt471 your tree is a STAR! Beautiful!

@Z-A-C love sexy face anime Superman!

6 Likes

Thanks! That tree is my pride & joy! :rofl:

5 Likes

Woah, the textures in this piece are fabulous!! And not often we see Supes sans red, so I love how the lack of bright and busy colors focuses you in on his expression and the different textures. Beautiful work!

6 Likes

So, the very concept of Dick as Howl is just :ok_hand:!! His wings are amazing. Also, the Miyazaki homage really comes through
in the tree and the castle. Really, really lovely job, Rob.

6 Likes

The detail on his legs is so good it makes me want to cry

5 Likes

Thank you so much! I love Miyazaki so much I am so very glad it comes through! Thank you again!

6 Likes

Worried I didn’t do anime proper, I did this one, too. Any Death Note fans?

13 Likes

Too nice, thank you!

4 Likes

He’s sorta got the face of Big McIntosh

4 Likes