DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

Well hello there DC Book Club. Tally-Ho! :superman_hv_4: :wave: :sunglasses:

Looking through the thread most of the answers to this weeks questions would be what I would have answered. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes! This is also what I thought of, and I’m guessing going through other stories that Batman has this contingency plan with most (if not all) gadgets he has. :sweat_smile:

Reading this is also a little further in the timeline that I have been reading catching up with all the happenings that occurred during the first Rebirth books (slowly but surely moving along :sweat_smile:). :sunglasses:

Those recommended reading lists are most helpful and thank you @HubCityQuestion for the continual additions to my reading lists. :nerd_face: :books:

And now… A bunch of panels that showcase the art and humor I enjoyed while reading. :joy:

5 Likes

Aquaman after that “go fish” comment.

“gO fIsH, aQuAmAn”

7 Likes

Hello, first-time book club poster. I’m nervous, so I’ll just say that I love the art.

8 Likes

*** Did reading this story make you want to learn more about a certain member of the Justice League?**

I definitely noticed I had some catching up to do. I think I know the characters well, but certainly some storylines I forgot about.

I love the Legion of Doom from the old cartoons, so it was great to see them together (although slight roster modification) in the Hall of Doom.

• Did you find any moments particularly funny?

The reaction of the lodge members to Luthor was great…sad about the end. I like the Go Fish line, but mostly because they dealt with the Aquaman hate in the new 52. One of my favorite things they did with the new 52.

• Do you think the comedy takes away or adds to the series?
    Done well it can add to it. I think it fits best when it is more human or sarcastic. I normally like the jokes within the friends of the Justice League, but I do like the versions where they are not as friendly with Batman…when he makes them all a little nervous so wouldn’t feel so open to joking about him.

• Did you have a favorite moment or panel of artwork? Why did that stand out to you?
    I’ll be honest, what I loved were the Jim Lee cover variants as well as the pencils. Always amazing work and love to see the early stages and completed product together.

5 Likes

Great lists !!

For me it kind of depends on the art style a bit (e.g. light vs. dark)

Batman = Bale or Conroy. Though when Batman 89 comes out, no doubt Keaton.
Superman = Reeves. He will always be my Superman
Lex = Loved Hackman, but when Lex is drawn older looking I think of the one from the Superman the Animated Series and when younger the one from Smallville (Rosenbaum)
Joker = Hamil…though Nicholson is my favorite live action Joker.

5 Likes

We’re generally all good people here…no need to be nervous… :slight_smile: Welcome!

5 Likes

@superandy

Mark will always be my favorite Joker. Great call.

It’s interesting to base how they sound off of their word balloons. I don’t pay too much attention to those, but this has got me thinking that I should try it out!

@superandy

It’s awesome that you went into so much detail with your thoughts on this!

With this in mind, do you think either party is right or wrong?

@ManofSteelForever

Rushes to read Issue 8.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Those full size art pages are absolutely incredible!

@MiscellaneousSoup

Welcome to the Book Club! It’s super exciting to have you as a new member!

The art is wonderful. What is it that you love about it?

6 Likes

That’s all.

4 Likes

This made me laugh

5 Likes

this entire part reminded me of the episode of Superman: The Animated Series called Knight Time when Supes fills in for bats and can replicate anyone’s voice. The true OP Kryptonian power.

7 Likes

It’s funny that you mentioned that. I’ve collected the Death of Prince event and have just reached Adventure comics #449 where he’s the backstory, written by none other than Denny O’Neil. There sure are a lot of Martian Manhunter gems out there.

4 Likes

Enjoyed seeing the character of Martian Manhunter in more depth.

4 Likes

I haven’t read the 90s series, but it’s by John Ostrander (aka creator of the Suicide Squad that everyone loves), so I’m sure he worked his magic on that too.

In a sense Martian Manhunter kind of reminds me of characters like Moon Knight over at Marvel, where they both had a lot of great creators work on him, but for one reason or another he just hasn’t really blown up the same way as others have.

3 Likes

@RexRebel

This is a truly fantastic way of describing the art style. I love it!

@Bar-El

I would also be a whirlwind of mostly uncomfortable emotions if Batman said this about me :joy:

@sschallagundla - WELCOME to the community and to the DC Book Club! It’s a pleasure to meet you :slight_smile:

I also enjoyed learning more about him. I was mostly unaware of him before we started reading this series and it seems like his character has a lot of depth to it with his backstory. What do you like most about MM?

2 Likes

I find it very interesting how MM gets very anxious in this series even though he is one of the strongest JL members and it is nice meeting you to.

3 Likes

I think so too! It’s often interesting to see heroes showing signs of weakness. It’s a good reminder that no one is perfect and that being a hero takes courage!

3 Likes

I bought the entire storyline. The art is AMAZING

4 Likes

Greetings, citizens of the DC Universe!

It’s Monday, and you know what that means- too much coffee, one eye half-closed, our inner children protesting loudly- and a break from it all with scintillating discussion questions! It’s been very fun and deeply interesting to read all of your thoughts and responses so far, and we can’t wait to take it even further.

We’ve updated the top of this post to keep all questions for the series in one place, but you can also read this week’s discussion questions here in this handy comment:

Issue #4-5
2021-03-22T07:00:00Z2021-03-29T07:00:00Z

• The Source Wall, The Totality, Umbrax, The Keep of Mars, the Still Force, the First Force, Turtle, the Ultraviolent/Invisible Spectrum- how do you keep them straight? What is your understanding of their interplay?
  • Can you name all the Green Lanterns in this beautiful shot?
  • How did having a different writer (James Tynion IV) and artist (Doug Mahnke) on the Legion of Doom issue impact the overall reading of the story so far? Did the change in tone complement the experience?

• As noted in issue #5: "If he could, [Lex Luthor] would ask you the question he asked the rest. ‘A legion that did not stand for people as they should be, but as they were, and would always be.’." Do you agree that people’s nature is fundamentally chaotic and doom-driven, as Luthor suggests?

• In the back pages of issue #5, we see Scott Snyder outline each villain’s core beliefs. A throughline of these beliefs is that everyone should be “true” to themselves. Do you agree with any of these villains’ philosophies? Why or why not?

As we get deeper into the story, so too do we explore the psyches of our heroes and villains. If you’re interested in that sort of thing, then you may enjoy the Psychology of Supervillains Club, where a villain is selected each month to dive into motivations and influences. Past discussions include Lex Luthor, Sinestro, and Vandal Savage.

And of course, if Justice League is your thang, then the Justice League Club is where you’ll want to be to discover the “best of” stories from the JL’s history and present, all year long!

8 Likes
  • While it is easy to get things mixed up, I think of it as a vinn diagram, all of these things overlap at certain points but also have separate parts/ideas. They also affect each other in different ways while working together.
  • I think it helped the issue stand out as different. You want different stars, you have to change them mostly. They did do a good job of still keeping a general feel to the series and storyline so it was not a startling change, but enough to complement the psychology of the villain at the forefront instead of being in the psyches of the heroes like you are in the normal issues.
  • If you had asked that 20 years ago, I would have completely disagreed. Now…I still disagree. If anything the past year has proven of the human race, we will fight against doom. We will starve for hope, look for light, fight for what we believe is right (even if sometimes we are wrong), and help each other to succeed.
  • I agree with Sinestro. It is hard to see him as a villain sometimes, as at the core he is someone who is not. It is extremely important that we spend time reflecting on ourselves, our actions, and why we do what we do and what it says bout ourselves, thus who we are. His problem is, he takes this just a little too far…
3 Likes

No even if I’m not quite up to date on where everyone is at the moment I have a good enough understanding of their characters.

I would say when everyone is trying to do their best Batman voice.

I always enjoy some comedy so I think it enhances my reading of the series.

I sometimes hear the voices from Justice League the animated series such as Kevin Conroy and Phil LaMarr.

I would say these two at least for the first three issues because I never thought John would be standing against the League and I’m wondering how the Joker is standing behind Hawkgirl.

6 Likes