Cyborg Doom Patrol Cosplay

I was chatting a bit in @AgentofCheckmate’s Wondercon '23 thread and @staticshocks expressed some interest in my Doom Patrol Cyborg cosplay. Here it is.

We don’t put our kids on the internet but yeah that’s Robin. No I didn’t paint my dog green…just a little artistic license

14 Likes

8 Likes

That is great. Did you build it yourself?

6 Likes

I did! Mask is fiberglass and the arm canon is made of a lot of different stuff but mostly pvc pipe and sheet metal. Had to make a bearing from scratch to make it spin like that.

Electronics are running on an Arduino Nano. Lights are 2812B LED strip.

8 Likes

I went to Dragon Con for the first time last year and was blown away by the awesome cosplay there. This is right up there with the coolest things I saw there. :smiley:

6 Likes

Good stuff @Cradle2theGabe! :smiley: :+1: Really digging your SO’s Rae Rae cosplay as well.

5 Likes

Cool stuff.

5 Likes

Well-Done-Applause

well-done-simon-cowell-z71db6nxkpap91c9

5 Likes

These are SO incredible!!! :clap: Absolutely nailed it! Love the additional Raven, Robin, and Beast Boy cameos.

Dare I ask how you created the functional robot arm + eye? And are those (also functional?!) Daft Punk helmets I see in your vid? :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh gosh, yeah she’s a good sport about my obsessions. We love all things Titans.

Thanks so much. I’ve never been to any cons but I really want to. My cosplays come out to play only on Halloween, thus far.

4 Likes

I’ll allow it! The arm is basically two sections of nesting PVC pipes (4.5" and 5" I think). The LED wing things are folded sheet metal with plexiglass “windows”. They pivot on tiny jewelry box hinges. The sound comes from one of those greeting card speaker things that I hacked my own wav files into. The eye is just a single red LED encased in acrylic–runs off a watch battery so it fits in the mask.

Arduino runs it all! Check it out. Arduino Nano — Arduino Online Shop. Traditionally you’d need to know a bit of C++ programming to make these things work but there’s a huge community and library of ready made program templates for different projects.

4 Likes

Well since you asked…

4 Likes

Amazing! I’m incredibly impressed by artists who bring their work to life like this. I honestly don’t know much about programming myself, so this is just pure magic to me and a REALLY creative way to apply your skill to a cosplay.

4 Likes

They’re BEAUTIFUUUUUL!!! :clap: :clap: Were these ever used for any con cosplays?

Nice launchpad demonstration too! I wanted to get one for my partner for Christmas but settled on a keyboard instead. Maybe next year! (I also haven’t figured out what to actually do with it once you buy it … :thinking:)

4 Likes

Nope, just a couple Halloweens. Contrary to this thread I’m not a very showoff-y kind of guy. Mostly just hobby stuff to keep me busy. I have kids now so staying busy is not really a problem anymore, hah.

Nice, I’m impressed you recognized the launchpad. Primarily you need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) program like Ableton, FL Studio or a few others. When I bought my launchpad it came with a trial version of Ableton which is basically the full program with pretty trivial limitations for beginners. I used the trial for years before I got the full software.

You’re probably better off with the keyboard–depending on your goals. I hardly ever use the launchpad–but I am trying to learn how to read and compose music. Launchpad is fun and flashy, but fundamentals are also important.

3 Likes

Cool stuff here! I can definitely see the allure of getting into cosplay, and the fact that you have working parts and software behind it is impressive!

The Daft Punk video was fun. I could have watched a lot more of that.

3 Likes

Robin has a cute arm

3 Likes

If you watch Teen Titans GO, you’re probably familiar with the Robin “baby hands” joke…

4 Likes

I do not watch TT go but I am familiar with the robin baby hands joke, thanks to the people on this forum.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Red Hood is next on my project list. I’ll drop a post when I have something to show for it :smiling_face:

6 Likes