Wondercon '23

Hey there, all!!

Anybody planning on going to Wondercon next week?

And are there any official plans for DC to be there?

5 Likes

Hey there, it looks like there will be premieres for Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham as well as Justice League x RWBY: Superheroes & Huntsmen Part One at WonderCon 2023 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was just posting a similar question about SDCC but if you don’t mind me asking here instead…

I’m a con noob and I was wondering what the “best” one is for specific interest in comic books. Would it be SDCC or do TV/Movies kind of steal the spotlight a bit there? Mostly looking to meet comic creators and see cool collections and artwork. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi there!

So I’ve been going to SDCC closing on 20 years now but I’d argue that Wondercon is what SDCC was back in the day. A small show that showcases comics just as much as the movies/tv which isn’t too much of a huge focus.

Always hit up artist alley and check the website/twitter to see who’s attending and what books you want to bring to get signed!

3 Likes

I would add to try your best not to spend/buy too much early in the day. Remember that you have to carry everything for the next several hours. When I discovered artist alley at SDCC (the 1st con I ever attended) I went wild buying stuff. By the end of day 1, my arms were gassed.

On that note- wear the comfiest shoes you own as you will be on your feet and walking the show floor for several hours.

4 Likes

This is where I always try and inevitably fail. I tried hacking it by just bringing a super big backpack, but often it either clashes with my cosplay or makes me bump into too many people.

So now I just prepare my muscles and show up to the artist alleys like

4 Likes

To this end- they will usually release a schedule of events letting uou know who will ge where and at what times. Go over this and plan your day accordingly. Don’t get caught up and miss a writer or artist you were hoping to see.

3 Likes

Yeah that would definitely be me Static. I would very much intend to cosplay while I’m there. I have a Doom Patrol Cyborg cosplay that I was thinking could be a good compromise (Adidas tracksuit and tennis shoes to Toyman’s point). Of course my depth perception would be compromised but I know the convention center pretty well from IT conferences so hopefully I’d be alright.

I’m also working on a fiberglass Red Hood mask but I’m quickly realizing that my vision would be quite poor in that thing. I don’t know how Jason does it.

2 Likes

Wow AoC you really are a veteran. That’s just the perspective I was looking for, thank you! I already live in CA so it’s perhaps less of an investment than others who come across the country. But I got kids so either way I kind of need to move mountains to make this happen so I’m intrigued by the WonderCon comparison (I love that “WonderCon” is in Chrome’s spell check dictionary btw).

I did heavily participate in Comic-Con@Home 2021 and I was really impressed by some of the offerings there with some cool Cosplay segments and a really touching tribute to Denny O’Neil. So that sort of gives me hope that SDCC still respects its roots. Sorry if that sounds pretentious. I love TV and movies too, I swear!

3 Likes

That would be SO COOL to see!! I think we’d all love pics if you ever feel like sharing!

3 Likes

Cool, I’ll post something under Fan Creations. I don’t want to impose on AoC’s thread any further than I already have.

2 Likes