Birds of Prey | Book Club Wks: 18-21 | Origins | The Batgirls: Cassandra Cain/Stephanie Brown/Barbara Gordon

Hey everybody! Its origin-time again, only this time around, in honor of AAPI month (and because we :purple_heart: all our cowl-wearing ladies), we’ll be diving in to a mixed bag o’ girl-bat related books!

:bat: First up, Cassandra Cain:
(Come by this Cass themed #mixtape-monday HERE if you have a song you’d like to add to her playlist! :dancer:t2:)

Batman & Robin Eternal 13: Mark of Cain

Batman 567 (First Appearance)

Batgirl (2000) 1-4

Batgirl: Secret Files & Origins 1

:bat: Next, Stephanie Brown:

Batgirl (2009) 1-3: Point of New Origin

Batgirl: Convergence 1-2 (w/ Cass)

Robin #174

:bat: And closing w/ our # 1 CLOSER, Barbara Gordon:

Batgirl (2016) 1-5: Beyond Burnside (BG Int’l)

Elseworld’s Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl 1

This activity will be running ALL month long! Read one—read them all—the choice is yours! :books:

We’ll take the first two weeks (5/3-5/16) to read, then discuss during weeks 3 & 4 (5/17-5/30). Did you enjoy it? Have you read it before? What did you think of the artwork? Anything about the reading you’d like to discuss—drop your thoughts below when you’re ready. :purple_heart: See ya soon!

:birds_of_prey_club_oracle: You can join or learn more about Birds of Prey HERE

9 Likes

Just gonna leave this right here…

(Artgerm :star_struck:)

Ps. I’ve already started a reread of Steph’s run…great news: I still heart it!

She and BG make a lot of sense to me as a team, so this ones for them:

And here’s this:

6 Likes

Some very interesting books to read! Very happy to see Batman and Robin Eternal #13 there! And, of course, Stephgirl!

3 Likes

Batgirl_Barbara_Gordon_0032

tumblr_mdgktqqWmf1qbujox

She’s the one and only. The only one that could be. She has been and will forever be my favorite. I :purple_heart: you with all of my heart BG. And I always will. :00_batgirl: :0_batgirl: :00_batgirl1:

Thank you SOOOO MUCH for the BG reading selections Queen @Razzzcat and Mighty @Mae. You both are the bestest for forever! :purple_heart: :hugs: :cobb_squad: :birds_of_prey_club_oracle: :harleys_crew:

6 Likes

:hugs: :purple_heart:

2 Likes

I think of the ones here, the only one I haven’t read was the Elseworld’s Finest one, which I’ve been wanting to do. I’ve reread some of these recently (for…reasons…:eyes:) and I’ll definitely be happy to reread the others. :smiley:

3 Likes

I actually read the Elseworld’s Finest one this year for the first time because of an external recommendation, and it was pretty cool (though I wish it had been a full arc, rather than just an oversized one shot).

3 Likes

https://community.dcuniverseinfinite.com/t/my-life-and-my-struggles/1501096/48?u=turoksonofstone1950

4 Likes

Some of the best stuff in all DC comics :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@millernumber1 For both! :purple_heart: (Come by the Cass Mixtape this week!)

I really liked Steph’s run. She and Babs make for a great read together. (@TurokSonOfStone1950 knows. Thank you, btw) Plus, moments like these just make me laugh:

Ps. You’re very welcome @DC89! It’s important to celebrate characters like Cass in general, but AAPI month is perfect for it, and just having an ALL THE GIRL-BATS IN THE BOAT situation felt :100: right. :wink:

4 Likes

This should be awesome. Especially with the new Festival of Heroes Cass stories that are coming out next week!

Now I just have to be patient while DC sits on the Batgirls title…

4 Likes

Ooooh :eyes: What reasons? I like secrets @Jay_Kay! :laughing::purple_heart:

3 Likes

@millernumber1 Yes!! I saw that Artgerm cover of Cass for it (up top) and went :star_struck:

(all of us)

4 Likes

I find her dialogue in panels 3, 4, & 5 particularly poignant, given her treatment by DC over the years.

Cassandra Cain happens to be my favorite Batgirl.
Too bad we haven’t seen her since 2011 (other than Convergence, I think).

The Orphan retcon remains a mistake and a travesty.

2 Likes

A lot of Cass fans have said this, but I think she’s gotten a lot of really good stories since 2015.

5 Likes

Agree @millernumber1. Young and the Brave from 2016, for instance (complete w/ Spoiler!)

Plus, she’s only Batgirl if Babs doesn’t do it. It’s BG’s title & Cass deserves her own, too. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

Well, I personally wish that DC would push for a team of all three Batgirls - I think that would make the most people happy.

5 Likes

A friend of mine had that same idea several years ago.

If only I trusted anyone DC to do it justice.

4 Likes

I think they’ve been hinting at a Batgirls book or series literally since the end of Joker War. I think we’re going to get it fairly soon in the next few months, since it sounds like Urban Legends is going to have a story featuring Steph and Cass.

My only hope is that when it does come out, that Barbara isn’t just in the clocktower as Oracle, but is in the suit as Batgirl with the other girls. Especially since the look they’ve tried to give Barbara to go out in the field as Oracle is…kinda blah, to be honest. Since it’s fairly recent I’ll put it in a drop-down menu:

Mild "Batman: Urban Legends #2" spoiler

https://external-preview.redd.it/BEGjcaodJYIo1YBivR0aN2gSRLdN6OtY4IBFwiErHv4.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e5fe5fe94b9c574d42bef26dcdf0b4d45328c16f

It just feels like a half-assed, low effort April O’Neil cosplay.

At least her looks in Batman and Nightwing have been sharp as hell:

5 Likes

Speaking of which, the last Batgirl issue #50 just dropped today. I really hope a new Batgirl series gets announced soon.

3 Likes