Aquaman: Andromeda | Book Discussion

:00_aquaman_rebirth: BOOKS 1-3:

Deep in the Pacific Ocean, at the farthest possible distance from any land, sits Point Nemo: the spaceship graveyard. Since the dawn of the space race, the nations of the world have sent their crafts there on splashdown, to sink beneath the silent seas. But there is something… else at Point Nemo. A structure never made by human hands. And that structure seems to be… waking up.

:open_book: If you’ve read it (or plan to) and wish to discuss, drop your thoughts below when you’re ready!

You can join or learn more about :that_black_label_life: ThatBlackLabelLife HERE or :brain: Psychology of Supervillains HERE.

14 Likes

:00_aquaman_rebirth: You can also join our friends at psychologyofsupervillains for more in depth discussions :point_down: HERE.

6 Likes

Ps. Here’s a couple of variants :purple_heart:

9 Likes

I’m waiting for the trade before reading it. But trust me, I’ll come back to discuss

2 Likes

The trailer is awesome!

4 Likes

I read it as it came out and really enjoyed it – this might get me to give it a reread. :smiley:

Oh, and if people want more of Ward’s incredible art, I’d recommend taking a look at a couple of Batman stuff he did, including the one-shot focusing on new character The Gardener, as well as a short story in Batman: Urban Legends that he wrote and drew.

It was also recently announced that he’s going to write and draw a Batman mini-series for Black Label called Batman: City of Madness that looks super cool.

6 Likes

@EDT
See you then!

Ps. Thanks for the links @Jay_Kay! :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Crashes truck through the wall, leans out of the door to speak

back-arnold-schwarzenegger

BEHOLD! I have received the trade collection, I have read the story, and NOW…time to share my thoughts.

When I first heard of this story, I thought it was going to be an exploration of the deep sea terror that the oceans have to offer. Showing us deranged creatures and how the deep waters can alter your mind. And…the last part is sort of correct.

This is essentially a psychological story focusing on the various characters who dive deep into the ocean to investigate a mysterious craft that came from space. We don’t get to see any terrors that the oceans naturally have but rather see how the characters are affected by the supernatural abilities of the craft to pull from their minds. While this is on one hand a disappointment compared to what I was expecting, that doesn’t mean I didn’t like it. I still think this is a well-written story. Aquaman isn’t really a main character in this story, but he does play the important role of saving those that he can. Black Manta is arguably a more important character, which is good news for me. I’ve always found him a very cool villain, full of intimidation but knows the importance of self-discipline.

As for the art, it is of course beautiful. The colors and visuals create a sense of…quiet tension. Which helps make the moments of the characters succumbing to their thoughts and past a bit more terrifying.

Overall - not the story I was hoping for. But still a good one.

7 Likes

I always tell people that Aquaman Andromeda is basically The Hunt for Red October, cranked up to 11, on acid :00_aquaman:

6 Likes

Just dropping this off—all are welcome to join on 12/14! :popcorn: :ocean:

8 Likes

This quickly became one of my favorite Aquaman stories. It’s a compelling mystery throughout - Aquaman and Manta depicted uniquely with an ominous tone in every panel and the artwork is beautiful adding to the experience perfectly. I would recommend this to anyone. DC Black Label continues to produce some great work and provide a refreshing change of pace.

7 Likes

I enjoyed this one too, even though Aquaman shares the focus. Sword of Atlantis is another one I liked, off the top of my head.

7 Likes

I believe there is a thread for that if anyone feels like talking about it! :00_aquaman_rebirth: :blue_heart:

There’s a thread for the new movie too…

8 Likes

I haven’t read that one in a while. I’ll check it out again - thanks!

7 Likes